Robby
  • Robby
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
of posts about the evil one captured today, but one thing stands out. I see a conspicuous dearth of posts from our liberal BOTL. Could it be that they are unhappy about this joyous event? Why the silence? Why shouldn’t all Americans revel in this great moment in history?
jdrabinski
22 years ago
I think this capture is such a big deal to conservatives because they see the pit Iraq has become...throwing away money, lives, and time. Now we can focus on this event--a moot point, as he was already out of power--and, if conservatives have their way, all the other facts will disappear.

A great day in our history? Are you SERIOUS? Capturing a third-world dictator is a great day in American history? That lowers the bar on greatness.
Secret_Agent_Man
22 years ago
jdrabinski

All of Saddams terrible acts have nearly totaled 1 million deaths. All horrible ways of dying too.

Do you believe his capture is a positive thing? Do you think our troops and intelligence deserve credit?

What I'm really getting at is, do you have the integrity to give credit when it's due, even when an opposing party is in power, and something good happens?

(__{SAM}_____]]]]~~
mroptimistic
22 years ago
Im glad about it, but then i see posts over on CA by conservatives in a thread just asking what cigar your gonna celebrate with lumping anti-bush people with freedom haters and saying all liberals will have trouble keeping their cigars lit.

I hang out on the forums for cigars, not to hear a bunch of conservatives spouting crap like that. I dont need to drag politics into my enjoyment of cigars.

I did smoke a celebratory partagas black label magnifico btw, as i am glad he is caught.
MDavis
22 years ago
Today wasn't about which side of the political fence you're on butt-head. It was about our military and their persistence and dedication. Taking something like this and turning it into a political spanking shows a real lack of class. But take heart, you weren't the only one that took this opportunity to show your a$$. Today was a day to reflect and smoke a cigar in salute and to thank our lucky stars these guys are on our side.

You want a response. Here goes. Proud we're there. Hell no!!!!! I wouldn't trade one of the 5000 men and women killed and mained for the whole country of Iraq.

Proud of the job they've done. Hell yes !!!!! Proves once again that our military will go anywhere, do anything, sacrifice whatever it takes to get the job done. No matter how stupid it was.
smelly4tay
22 years ago
I agree 100% percent with MDavis! No need for partisan junk on a day like today! I would be pissed off if I was a troop and had to come home to bickering. Amazing how we take the military for granted.....they demand no pat on the back, and yet, we don't always give one for the protection they provide.
SteveS
22 years ago
The anti-war bickering is part of our enemies plan ... they've seen how little 'staying power' a lot of people in this country have and they are counting on us fighting and feuding among ourselves, demoralizing the troops that are in the field ...

Whether in Congress, in the streets or in BBs such as this one, those who trash-mouth the leadership of this country and speak against our military efforts are, in plain terms, giving aid and comfort to our enemies, and in so doing, they are prolonging the war and exposing more of our boys to peril ...

It's high time for the weak and spineless to grow a pair and get with the program ... if we could somehow do so enmasse, we would hasten the day on which the war on terrorism would come to a successful conclusion.

That's my 2¢ worth and I'm sticking to it ...

mroptimistic
22 years ago
See this is what i was talking about. People like steve. Sorry buddy but if you believe that speaking against military efforts and the leadership of the country is giving aid and comfort to our enemies, you both need to start thinking with your head instead of the other end, and you need to grow up and act like a big boy who can handle being disagreed with.

If anything these people like steve who go around declaring anyone who doesn't love our leadership is anti-american or helping our enemies are the most unpatriotic and unamerican of us all. The claim that those who oppose bush and the war are anti-freedom because thats all the war is, freeing the iraqis right? Well freedom, especially in this country, is being able to hold different view points. Were not in a dictatorship, we dont have to blindly follow whoever gets put in charge. We have the right to have an opinion, regardless of whether it agrees with the current leader.

Its funny how many people are just fine with disagreeing with the president when they dont like something he does (ie enjoying cigars in other ways besides smoking them with certain interns) but the moment it turns to war they change and shun anyone else who does it.

Disagreeing with a war or a presidents decisions has nothing to do with getting a pair or being weak and spineless. Like I said grow up and act like a big boy. It has to do with the viewpoints some people have on how global politics and our national government should act, simple as that.

I don't know why they don't ban political talk on these cigar forums. It has no place here.
DrMaddVibe
22 years ago
You're speaking out of the sides of your mouth, when you want to say that Steve is doing what you accuse him of. He's been on the boards trying to maintain civility time and time again. I'm not saying I can read his mind or put words in his mouth, so Steve...if I'm out of line here please let me know..., but perhaps he finally came to a realization that there are certain individuals here that only like to start crap, roll around in it, and throw it at others.
xrundog
22 years ago
Damn right I'm glad he was caught! Hopefully this will deflate the Baath resistance and no more of our soldiers will be killed. I don't think Saddam is gonna show them any WMD. But it won't bother me to be wrong on this one.
Robby
  • Robby
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
For all you whiners, this is the "Misc" board... Deal with it or don't read it...
BeatDragon
22 years ago
mropto,

So, you have a right to your opinion and your feelings regarding the current issues that this thread discuses. You say you have the right to your opinion whether it be contrary to the leadership of this country, or to the others posting here, and damn it your going to say it. Because its your right as an American!

To that I say GOOD FOR YOU!

Im I right so far?

Then, a opinion that is contrary to your views is posted and WHAM, the poster needs to "Grow up and act like a big boy" how DARE his view differ from yours. DAMN him for his opinion! And how DARE he voice it here!

So, which is it?

Just wondering.

I could really care less what either of you think, but I just find these little discussions interesting and slightly amusing in my twisted sort of way.

And I do agree with you. Take all this poitical crap off the boards or give its own section and maybe call it The "Lets all pi$$ on each other cuz we cant have an adult discussion with out throwing fits" Board

Happy Holidays

Peace Out

BD
sketcha
22 years ago
Mmm. Skin-slapper speak with much authority.

From what I've seen, the misc. board IS mostly political so if you choose to read these posts, then I feel you shouldn't bitch about their content.

Of course you are free to agree or disagree with any opinions offered if you feel the need.

If you want to talk about guns, trucks or whatever, then start your own post. Otherwise the Cigars and Related board is always open.

JMHO
DrMaddVibe
22 years ago
We used to have a Political and a Sports section...now we just have a misc. section. I've learned to live with it...so should the newbies!
mroptimistic
22 years ago
BeatDragon, I said he needed to grow up because he doesn't feel everyone is entitled to an opinion if it differs from his. He can have whatever opinion he wants but based on what this nation is built on, you cannot deny others that. I dont care what he claims about any political decision or action but saying that others aren't entitled to an opinion is childish and against what america stands for.
65gtoman
22 years ago
I love when demonrats start to cry, ill put together a list off all the stupid things they say over the next few days and post it lol


I hear a few have already said stupid things.
BeatDragon
22 years ago
mro,
Huh, I guess I just didn't get that jist from his post. It seemed like he was just stating his opinion.

Oh well, such is life.

Time for lunch.
MDavis
22 years ago
You know what ? Robby is right. If you want to have a reasoned argument, don't want to listen to the same old crap from the same old knuckle-draggers then stay off this board. Point taken.

I've been reading here for several weeks and posting for a couple more. The posts on this board all wind up the same. Someone from the left(usually drabinski or RICHAMAVAN) replies to a post and the same group of posters bring out the same old school yard insults and lame comebacks. drabinski retaliates and so on, and so on, and so on ....... I realize there is probably history here that a newbie isn't privvy to, but you know what? For whatever the reason, it's boring as hell.

I had hoped this might be a place to exchange viewpoints and have a good old fashion political argument once in a while. There are some folks from the right that post here that have some interesting posts. Just can't get past, the troloydytes.

Guess, I'll stick to reading the Cigars & Related boards. I'm seldom bored there and at least there I learn something once in awhile.
Robby
  • Robby
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Personally, I feel the loss of a single BOTL is a bad thing. There is a wide array of opinions yes. I didn't mean to dig anyone too hard. My original post was that many of the more liberal members seemed conspicuously quiet on what I felt we should all consider good news. i.e., that ba$tard in custody. If the dems were in power, and we got this kind of good news, I'd be right there with them, celebrating the news, and then back to our social and political differences afterwards. It would be boring if everyone agreed. Part of what makes the boards interesting is discord. As long as it's reasonable and not to vitriolic. I personally enjoy debate and particularly when people can bring it with good reasoned arguments and logic. Although I know sometimes it gets a bit more heated (guilty). But I try not to... And there's always room for improvement for us all if we seek it. Merry Christmas to us all, libs, conservatives, greens, comies, everyone except the terrorists. I think we can all agree that they suck!! 🙂
sketcha
22 years ago
"I think we can all agree that they suck!!"

Don't bet on it, Rob. There's probably someone here who sympathises with their plight. I guess that's their right.

Users browsing this topic