E-Chick
  • E-Chick
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
...and why...

I'm looking for a "new" used one for our son.

Marla
Homebrew
21 years ago
I have had less trouble from my chevy, than most of my Fords. I find that the parts prices are much lower than Ford or Dodge parts. I have the v6 in a Full Sized 1500 series Chevy 1997. Good power, and fuel economy around 19 mpg. My 95 F150 gets between 12-15 mpg, with it's 302 v8, and costs an arm and a leg to work on. The chevy doesn't wear out front end parts like my ford does. My steering started getting sloppy at about 60K miles. My Chevy does not have any slack in the steering, at 143k miles.
As far as a dependable vehicle, to put your son in, and be safe, I recomend a full sized Chevy over ford any day. I also recomend the full sized version over the s-10, though the drive train is almost identical, if you take the v6 option on the s-10. There is very little by way of mileage increase, with the drop in size, about 1-2 mpg.
Hope this helps,
though I am prepared for the onslaught from all the Ford lovers, me and my chevy are up to the task.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
SteveS
21 years ago
My gosh, e- ... your son is old enough to DRIVE already??? ... time sure does have a way of flying by!!

I can't speak from personal experience about Ford or Chevy (and why not Dodge?) since I got a 'new-used' Toyota p/u for my youngest son when he reached that age ... it performed well and held value nicely ...
bassdude
21 years ago
Can't help with newer trucks. But my 1960 still runs great.

As far as engines in general I prefer a Ford product. They last longer(I have 256,000 miles on an Escort) without needing major repair. The few Chevies I have owned were consistently in need of repair. My in-laws swear by GM and they spend quite some time in the shop even with new products.
EI
  • EI
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
Ford f250 power stroke diesel.... Nothing more needs to be said
Eats Dodge Hemis and craps Chevy Duramax

Pulls any trailer on the road up hill at 75 to 80 mph at 12 mpgs
And when not towing gets 18 mpg
Homebrew
21 years ago
Hey BassDude,
If we are talking 1972 and earlier, you got a point.
My 64 Custom, runs like a champ. And my 69 F250, can pull a house down as long as the gumbo mudders can get traction. I have had the opposite experiance with newer ford products. I have already had to put a transmission, and rebuild the engine, on my 95 F150, buy 102K miles. I am at 143K on the chevy, without noticing any power loss, or slipping from the tranny. I have to drive a very steep mountain road, to get to work. It has been known as a tranny killer, by all who drive it. It killed my Fords tranny, but hasn't touched my chevy.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
Homebrew
21 years ago
EI,
I think this truck is for her son, so the F250 is not a practical answer, unless he has some major towing to do.
Later
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
EI
  • EI
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
well then just get a used chevy luv mikado and have MTV pimp his ride.(that was a great episode)
Sorry thought we were talking about real trucks
E-Chick
  • E-Chick
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
Yeah, it is for my baby...16 next month!

I didn't want to get specific about the use until I heard some of the comments...

Mike is a Ford man through and through although I do love my Chevrolet!

Kevin will be driving to and from school, but the main uses are for him to work with dad in our commercial refrigeration business. Lots of tools, parts, ladders, refrigerant tanks....and also for hauling a toy box for our ATV's...

Kevin likes the Chevy 2500 duramax...but what does he know? My cousin just picked up that Ford diesel dually that EI is talking about...loves it...seats 6.

I'm so confused...need more input!

Prices???

Marla
E-Chick
  • E-Chick
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
Oh, and neither of us just don't really like the looks of the Dodge.

No other reason...
EI
  • EI
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
well. then E .. for hauling I still suggest the Ford with a power stroke diesel.
If you get the gas 5.4 or the V-10 triton you will get about 6 MPGs when hauling the toybox trailer/
Speaking of which I have one. A four winds 23srvt that is great for hauling the harley for camping trips and to the rallies
bigbike
21 years ago
I drive a Chevy S-10 pickup with the smallest engine (2.2 liter) and love it. It gets good gas mileage and hauls 1000 pounds with little complaint everytime I have ever asked it to do so. The newer ones (after 98 i believe) do not have the engine problems associated with the earlier 2.2 liter engines. I have had mine for 5 years and have had no trouble with it.
nealep
21 years ago
I've owned 3 Chevy S-10 versons to date; 2 Blazers and 1 P/U. The first Blazer I had, had the smaller 2.8L V-6 and was underpowered for the vehicle. The engine ended up going south :o( The other 2 had/have (still have a Blazer) the 4.2L V-6 which is a much stronger engine and works great in this truck. I haven't had engine problems with either version (P/U or Blazer), and my Blazer now has 151k on it. The P/U would haul anything that I asked of it for that size truck. I really like this size truck, as it handles easier than a full size truck and gets a bit better gas mileage. However, if you are hawling something serious, you do need a full size vehicle. IMHO, though, I would think that the S-10 would handle the ATV trailer.

Neal
usahog
21 years ago
FORD,,,FORD,,,FORD,,, did I mention FORD???

LOL looks like some of the guy's covered this one for ya E... and I was going to go with Chevy in 2002 while I was deployed the wife and my mom went truck shopping... well long story short.. I did not end up with a Z-71 4X4

Now you mention...."Kevin will be driving to and from school, but the main uses are for him to work with dad in our commercial refrigeration business. Lots of tools, parts, ladders, refrigerant tanks....and also for hauling a toy box for our ATV's"

This alone I would say the Ford F-250 Powerstroke Diesel EI pointed out...

our F-150 4X4 with the triten 5.4 can do some hauling and has been a damn good truck... but I've been eyeballing the F-250's for other reasons, one of them the hauling capacity... I don't like the looks of the 2004 models though... but you also said a used truck.. I don't think you would go wrong with a Used Ford... chevy I have lost taste for them from viewing them from afar (meaning whats on the road and hauling campers/tool cribs etc...) I see mainly Fords and Dodges doing this work.. and when I do see chevy's hauling they are giving it their all to get on down the highway....

I've pulled U-hauls loaded down with wood up to 1500 bd ft in one haul...I've pulled campers and other trailers with our Ford and there hasn't been anything I wouldn't hook onto, I've got that much faith in the motor and the truck... I've loaded the bed down with tons of crap from firewood to furniture and have never had one complaint...

Go Ford!!!! extended cab,with the Diesil... Kevin can trick it out himself...

Hog

DrMaddVibe
21 years ago
I traded in my Lincoln Navigator for a '04 F150 Lariat SuperCrew. I needed a pickup...again. I didn't want to compromise on the interior or the engine. If it's just for a kid then you might not need the bells and whistles BUT for resale...you'll be glad you have them vs a stripped down model(...hehe...stripped down model!). I LOVED my Navigator but there are times I'm goin' down the road in my new truck and forget I'm in a truck. It's THAT good!

I'm a Ford truck man
That's what I drive
Don't know no boundries
I don't compromise....

Good enough for Toby...good enough for me!
DrMaddVibe
21 years ago
I forgot to add that we used to have GM products for our fleet vehicles and have owned multiple Dodge pickups (Dakota and Ram) and went with Ford because I really loved the Lincoln power and tranny. When I started looking for a truck...Ford was top of the list for me and I didn't even look at a Chevy. I always had some problem with the ones that I used to drive. Dodge treated me right and my F-I-L gets a lifetime discount, but been there doen that...I went with what works!

rasdas
21 years ago
Well...how about throwing in one more truck...GMC....

When i went shopping for a truck in Apr. 2002...i went with a GMC Sierra... i liked it more then the chevy (yes, both are GM products...but no, they are not the same)...and i dont like really like the new Fords...even-though i could have got a killer deal on it...

RasDas

Joe
EI
  • EI
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
GMC Stands for "GotMoneyChevy"

Its just a chevy with a higher price tag

Much like a Navigator is a high priced Expidition
Cliff LaChance
21 years ago
http://www.mysporttrac.com 

Ford Sport Trac. Your son will love you forever for it. It's a real chick magnet. 6 cyl not great on gas but has room for 5 very comfortably and has enough bed space for the small hauling. Check out the website and ask all the questions you want. It's a real tight nit community. Very friendly people much like the ones here.

Cliff
DrMaddVibe
21 years ago
Its just a chevy with a higher price tag - Yes, they're made in the same plant. Same engine, same tranny.

Much like a Navigator is a high priced Expidition - No. The Nav has an engine that the Expedition doesn't even offer. They're not made in the same plant. They don't even ride the same. Even a fully dressed out Eddie Bauer can't compare to a Navigator in terms of handling, compartment noise or safety! There's nothing comparable to the 2 except that they can hold the same number of people!
Users browsing this topic