Marke@CigarBid
21 years ago
Ok... after taking a lot of heat from my married colleagues ( I can't count how many times I heard, " Are you crazy??" ), I wanted to pass along the news to my CBid friends. About 2 weeks ago, I proposed to my girlfriend. We've been together for about a year and a half and are extremely happy.
Although she cannot stand cigar smoke, as long as she doesn't have to deal with it, she doesn't complain. I guess it could be worse!!

Marke
Burky4467
21 years ago
Way to go Marke!!! Took the plunge about 5 years ago myself. If you don't like sex you're fine!!! Just kidding! Good Luck!
Burky
rogerf@cigarbid
21 years ago
Ok Marke – if this is your sorry attempt to solicit free cigars from our Forum members, you should be ashamed of yourself. I’m sure us married co-worker folks have plenty of experience that we feel is fair to pass along. You can choose not to listen if you prefer.

So people here will likely chime in with the expected congratulatory messages, while others I hope are blunt and rip into you.

The end is near my friend….
Marke@CigarBid
21 years ago
Man Roger... that was harsh.
Burky4467
21 years ago
Man Roger, let the man be if he doesn't want anymore free time, sex and b.j.'s that's his problem!
Burky
rogerf@cigarbid
21 years ago
Marke

I’m just getting my ‘I told you so’ out of the way now. I figure you won’t be able to hear me say it over the sound of the money getting sucked from your wallet like a vacuum cleaner. Oh wait, let me guess, that has already begun!!
RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
Marke@Cigarbid

she doesn't comnplain, i guess it could be worse.

ask her directly what her plans are for your cigar smoking "after" you are married. i'm very glad you love each other and are going to gwet married, but

how are you going to handle the changes you WILL make that she will ask you to make.











"ask" as defined by a wife = demands.
0patience
21 years ago
Ha ha,
Very good Rick!

It ain't all bad.
Marke, If you found a gal that can take care of you and puts up with all your BS, then count yourself lucky and smile alot and say "yes dear" and "I'm sorry, you are right." alot. LOL!!

After being married for 17 years and being with the same gal for 20 years, I have learned that no matter what, whatever I do, it won't be right, so I no longer worry too much about it. LOL!!

Congrats! It can be great, you just have to work at it. ; )
pabloescabar
21 years ago
dave97402
21 years ago
Congrats Mark! Hope you two have a great life together!!

Dave
thurson
21 years ago
Congrats Mark and what the MAVEN said...find out about the cigars before tying the knot. If the answer is favorable, get it in writing, then go ahead as planned my son. You have my blessing!
One more thing. We've been married, 2nd time for both, 15 years and there is one key phrase and multi-purpose answer to almost all requests that you should NEVER, EVER forget!!! "Yes dear."

Have a good day.
rcpilotva
21 years ago
ooohh, i gotta chime in, too!
my bride and i (both 'gar smokers) spent 6 mo in pre-marital counseling with a (fortunate for us) outstanding guy who's seen it all.we've been married for 7 yrs plus (i think :)), 2nd for both, and the number one and two things that our counseler told us - 1- in whatever you're doing/going,planning, figure out who decides ... you, her, or both of you? do this in the beginning, and abt 95% of all disputes are avoided.
2 - mis-communication is the key. no matter how clear you think you were, or how you thought you heard/understood (why the 'yes dear' is important:)) what was said,done, you're probably 1/2 right at best.

the last item that we both have fallen back on -this one keeps the sex "blowin out the street lights good" and the arguments to a minimum is that even when you're mad a spit at the other idiot you live with, he/she's not the enemy!

chinese proverb - marriage like army - everybody complain, but look at everybody enlisting.
Gene363
21 years ago
Congratulations to you and your fiancée!

You will get a lot of kidding and all kinds of advice. After being married to the same woman for more than 35 years here is my take:

Respect one another, including opinions. I never understood why someone would marry a person they thought was dumb. Actually I do, but this thread is about marriage not sex, he he he.

The more you put into a marriage the more you get out of it. This means doing things for your wife, not just material things, though that does not hurt if it is in addition to emotional input.

Compatible education, religious, financial and political views/backgrounds are not required, but life is easier if they are. The same goes for your families.

Remember you are going into a partnership with your wife. She will be the mother of your children, the holder of your credit cards and drive your car. Will she take care of you if sick or injured?

On the cigar issue, would you stay with here if she decided she could not live with your cigars? Rick’s advice was very good on that point.

Finally, if you want an excellent marriage test, take her camping for about three days in a dry camp. This eliminates “dating face/behavior” and allows both of you to see each other clearly.

grond
21 years ago
Marke,

Just make sure you keep a piece on the side. That way whenever she says, "you quit smoking or I'm gunna cut you off..." you can always reply, "How you gunna cut me off when you don't know where I'm gettin it..."

Always worked for me in my five marriages. 🙂

Cheers,

grond
PMoreno349
21 years ago
I only smoke outside, because I don't want anybody to have to smell the stale cigar smoke.

But, if she asks you to give up the cigars, run now, while you still have a chance. DO NOT give up things that are important to you. You will resent it later, which will lead to big trouble and misery for both. If she can't handle you smoking cigars, let her walk... better sooner than later, if it is going to happen.
Liz62803
21 years ago
congrats Marke! to both of you. may you have all the happiness in the world 🙂
PMoreno349
21 years ago
Oh, yeah, congratulations... it is worth taking the risk, if you love her.
Marke@CigarBid
21 years ago
Thanks for everyone's response ( except you, Roger!! ). I know that we will be very happy.

Luckily, she doesn't like cigars, but she doesn't mind that I smoke them. Usually, its a good excuse for my buddies and I to get away from the women while they do... uhhh... women things. Whatever that may be. ( man, there are a lot of jokes in that line! )

CWFoster
21 years ago
Congratulations! and good luck!
jessicas@cigarbid
21 years ago
Considering I've known his sweetie for about 5 years, I think I should be warning her to stay single! I'll have to bring this post back up in a few months since I'm going to be getting divorced soon!!!

Marke loves the attention guys, keep it coming. Positive or negative, he'll suck it all up!
Users browsing this topic