Homebrew
21 years ago
This is my first time in many years I am using wood heat. I fugured with high fuel prices that wood would be an inexpensive alternative to my central unit.
So far working like a champ. The only problem is the first year, having enough cured wood. I have fixed this problem, by helping an elderly man cut and split some timber that he felled last year. for every 4 ricks of wood I cut and split for him, he lets me take home 1 rick of cured wood. I am also cutting next years wood from the national forest under permit from the USFS. For $20 I can cut and haul home, 12 ricks of red oak firewood. I have figured that wood heat warms you twice. Once while cutting, and splitting the wood. And once while burning the wood. Right now I have 4 ricks of cured wood on hand, and 8 ricks of green wood, curing for next year. The cured wood is a mixture of red oak, and hickory. I will be going out today, and cutting up 4 more ricks of cured wood. So I can bring home another load of hickory. I really enjoy the smell of the burning hickory, not to mention cooking with it.
I am using an Ashley wood stove, with a special adatation of my own. The flue is routed out the back, and into a special smoker box that I hade made out of 16 gauge stainless sheets. If you open the box, there are three grill racks, which hold up to 6 racks of ribs. Last night, I smoked 3 racks of ribs, trying it out. I woke up this morning with a nice bed of coals and 3 perfectly smoked racks of ribs, to take with me up to the elderly guys house, for my wood cutting today. He' and his family are always inviting me to dinner, it's my turn today. LOL
Ya'll have a great day.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
P.S. This Party short, sure is nice, with the slight smell of hickory smoke, and fresh brewed carribean cutthroat in the background.
cexshun
21 years ago
My grandfather has a wood furnace and I love going over there to visit. It's almost like there's something different about the heat.
I help him with the timber, but we don't do it by hand anymore. He built some weird redneck-rigged log splitter using an old riding lawnmower engine. We just toss on the logs and it does all the work. Kind of takes the fun out of chopping by hand though. Something about wielding an axe is just so much fun.
AVB
  • AVB
  • Aficionado
21 years ago
What length are you cutting? A rick is usually a 4'x8'x one length of wood and can be a 1/4 (12" long), 1/3 (16" long) or 1/2 (24" long) cord. Cutting 4 ricks is a big bunch of maul swinging no matter how you stack it.
MSR
  • MSR
  • Enthusiast
21 years ago
What's a rick?
briguy151
21 years ago
Got Wood??????? LOL

All kidding aside there is nothing that beats a good wood stove. When I go up to my uncles cabin in the winter we stoke that puppy up and it just feels better than other types of heat. not sure how to explain it.
Homebrew
21 years ago
Using 2 ft lengths,
Yep it is a bunch of work, and I am usually pretty sore the next day. But I am finally getting back in shape, after years of in-activity. My upperbody strength is returning, and my legs, are back to their full strength again. I feel great. And you guys are right, there is nothing like wood heat. It is nice having the central unit as a backup. No mornings freezing my ash off trying to build a fire, because I was lazy and forgot to close the stove down. LOL
I just keep the thermostat on 65 degrees, and try and keep it from kicking on.
Have a great day.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
blackfoot11
21 years ago
i heat almost excluslively with wood. just a stove on the main floor.

i installed a whole house humidifier into the furnace, so the fan runs alot, which helps distribute heat, and keeps the house from feeling terribly dry. also good for the humidors.

i don't think anything can compare.

blackfoot
DrMaddVibe
21 years ago
When I live in Michigan I had a friend that had a wood stove. Just remember to clean the flue!
JonR
21 years ago
Yo Homebrew:

Did you ever try burning a rick a maven? Sorry about that but the window of opportunity was open. LOL

I remember going to my Grandmothers rowhouse for Christmas, she had an old wood stove to cook on and heat the house. It was so hot (no thermostat) you would have one shot of whiskey and be half-bombed.

JonR



Homebrew
21 years ago
Good advice DMV.
The way mine is set up, I can take it apart and clean it quite easily, on days that are warm enough to let the fire go out. Happens fairly often here in Arkansas. Also, I primarily burn, well cured, red oak and hickory, which burns very hot and produces very little creosote.
I have a wood cookstove, in my summer kitchen. It doesn't have a thermostat, but I can adjust the heat fairly easily using the dampers, I have also installed a thermometer in the oven part.
Have a great day.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)
johnfs
21 years ago
Dave you also may want to think about a chimney sweep. If you do go with somebody that is certified CSIA(?).

J
hat
  • hat
  • Aficionado
21 years ago
A police chief once told me that you wouldn't believe how many people's chimneys catch fire. They usually burn themselves out with no disastrous results. Of course, there is always the other times....
Mine caught once & I looked out the window & saw a reflection of the flames on the trees in the yard. Thought the whole damn house was on fire!
tailgater
21 years ago
Home,
Could you post a picture of the smoker attachement?
I've been contemplating getting a wood stove, since I grew up cutting and splitting wood for my old man. I don't mind the work when I have the time.
The smoker may be the deciding factor for my next years heat source!
Joe.
Users browsing this topic