arwings
21 years ago
This probably won't mean anything to a lot of you younger folks on this board, but to a FOG like me it's a sad day with the passing of Artie Shaw, the absolute "King of Swing" and head and shoulders above most of his contemporaries in the Big Band era. Listening to him you just couldn't help tapping your foot if you tried, and he had the crispest, widest-ranging sound I've ever heard. R.I.P Artie........I loved ya.............
RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
i didn't know he hired billie holiday as a band singer.

some of his music to listen to

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/mar/shaw/ 
eleltea
21 years ago
Sinatra was jealous of Artie's relationship with Ava long after Artie and she were divorced. Ava admired his intellect the way she admired Frank's schwantz.

One of the great swing era classics and a most memorable clarinet solo: Frenesi.
RICKAMAVEN
21 years ago
eleltea

in "funny girl" striesand asked "are they going to kill the schwantz." now i know what she meant.
arwings
21 years ago
Thanks for the website RICK.......been out of town and just got back.........so a little late on the post. I appreciate it. Damn!........you must go back as far as I do.................
arwings
21 years ago
Right on........eleltea........He was great!......Wasn't known as the King of Swing for nothing...........
thurson
21 years ago
R.I.P. Artie, however, I don't know that I would call him the "absolute" King of Swing. There was this guy from Chicago, what was his name? Benny something, oh yeah, Benny Goodman. Not to degrade Artie, how about we call Benny the "original" King of Swing.

thurson aka, another FOG
eleltea
21 years ago
Some of us are getting old. Rick I am always happy to teach you a little Yiddische slang. lol
rastusmcnair
21 years ago
I agree, the "King of Swing". has to be Benny Goodman. But he would have been nowhere without Fletcher Henderson's "book". And they say playing head to head with Chick Webb that Benny Goodman was blown away!
Users browsing this topic