Eggman
  • Eggman
  • Aficionado Topic Starter
21 years ago
This is pretty much off the topic for just about everything here...but I wanted to share it with the B&SOTL, despite the fact that blabbing about this probably negates the desired effect of the deed.

I've got a wife & a 5 year old kid, and I've been out of a job since September. Long story, the place I worked - you might say went out of business. Anyway, finding another gig in my chosen profession has been difficult to say the least, especially through the holidays. Christmas at our house was probably one of the leanest I can remember; wife and I forgot about doing for each other and focused on our daughter, which made it okay, actually.

But, I've been through some serious depression with my inability, try like hell tho I am, to find a job. My severance ran out December 31st, and we have been putting in 12 hour days trying to get the house we just bought in March (after being told by the bosses that they were going to renew my contract, no problem) ready to go on the market. (It's a fixer upper, and we knew that going in, but now we've had 6 months to do all the repairs instead of 6 years.)

So, you can do the math...no income, mortgage coming due. We cashed in an IRA and paid off our credit cards, etc...pushed the car payments back a couple of months, but still with no job on the horizon, it was getting a tad frantic.

To make a long story even longer, the wife and I were invited out to dinner last week by a wonderful couple who've been friends of ours for many years. Their son died a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 17, and was a very dear friend of ours. The husband and wife are two of the finest people I know. We had dinner with them (every time they've invited us out - to some pretty nice places - they've insisted that our money was no good) and had a great time, forgetting our troubles for a moment.

(Might also add here that my wife was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma last week...we go Monday for more tests and see what's what...nothing like stress on top of stress).

Anyway, I go to the mailbox yesterday and grab the mail, expecting more past due notices and bills. There's an envelope from the real estate company that the husband half of our friends runs.

Inside the envelope was a check for $5,000.

The letter that the husband and wife had written asked us to take the check and use it to bridge the rough patches between now and when I get a job (which hopefully will be within the next couple of weeks...a couple of very good leads are beginning to pan out). The couple also said they believed it was what their son would've wanted, and thanked us for being such great friends to him during his short time here.

Never count your friends out, I suppose is what I'm saying...the wife and I were absolutely hysterical yesterday. Nothing we could ever say or do can accurately portray how much they've saved our lives.

Friends are what get you through the lousy parts of life.

Sorry for the novel; again, I just wanted to share how truly blessed my wife and I are, despite circumstances that would indicate differently.

Egg
Eggman
  • Eggman
  • Aficionado Topic Starter
21 years ago
sorry for the double post.
CigarPrimate
21 years ago
This is a great, if difficult story to digest Eggman. What a generous and encouraging gesture on your friend's part. It's great to hear this type of thing happening, even in the midst of your struggles. BTW, a radiologist buddy of mine claims there's about a 98% cure rate on melanomas of that sort now days. Keep the spirits up.
wvwa34
21 years ago
GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!! FRIENDS ALSO!! GOOD LUCK TRY TOO KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!!?? HAD A SIMILAR YEAR RECENTLY!! ONE THING IS FOR CERTAIN THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER EVEN IF THEY TAKE SOME DRASTIC CHANGE!!! ID TAKE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY TOO DINNER ALSO IF POSSIBLE!!?????????
Mrs. Usahog
21 years ago
WV,

God Bless You. Consider it all joy when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. James 1:2-4

You and your family will be in our prayers (if you don't mind). I beat cancer and so can your wife. She needs encouragement and love. I know this might be hard for you and the family right now, but your bond will grow stronger through all of this.

Mrs. Usahog
dapperdan
21 years ago
Well said Mrs. Hog. I will keep you and your family in my prayers Egg. Dan
Wyteyes
21 years ago
This is one of the best stories I've read in a long time. Thanks for sharing... About 74, Millie and I had a Chevy with a blown engine and a gal from church showed up with a check to fix it. What a joy!!! There has been a few times we have been able to come to the aid of a person in need. Equally a great joy. Someday you will have the chance to be the giver and if you are like me, you will worry about your motivation because of the thrill of giving. When the time comes, Just Do It....
John
Users browsing this topic