usahog
  • usahog
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
A sniper with the 1st Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment has been credited with the longest confirmed kill in Iraq, according to a Marine Corps news release.

Sgt. Herbert B. Hancock, chief scout sniper of Sniper Platoon, Company B, shot at four insurgents from 1,050 yards away during the November assault on Fallujah, the Marines said. Hancock, a 35-year-old native of Bryan, Texas, is a reservist like the rest of the 1st Battalion, 23rd Marines.

In his civilian life, he's a police officer, but has been a Marine sniper since 1992.

According to the Marine Corps release, Hancock and his spotter, Cpl. Geoffrey L. Flowers, were sent into Fallujah on Nov. 11 to find the source raining down mortar fire on their company command post.

After moving through a series of buildings to the edge of the Euphrates River, Hancock and Flowers set up atop a large building, spotting the mortar teams about 1,000 yards away. Hancock shot at least four insurgents who were firing the mortars, before the Marines' own counterfire was called in on the positions.

"One had a black [outfit] on," Hancock said, according to the release. "I shot and he dropped. Right in front of him another got up on his knees looking to try and find out where we were, so I dropped him, too. After that, our mortars just hammered the position."

The snipers measured the distance by comparing an eight-digit map grid of their own position with the eight-digit map grid fired upon by the Marine mortar teams. It came out at 1,050 yards. Hancock made the shots with an M40A3 sniper rifle, the Marines said.
EI
  • EI
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
Mo'sMan
21 years ago
usahog
  • usahog
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
Yea I wanna get me one of these M40A3 Deer Hunting rifle

so I can go up to the roof of the Hilton here in SPI and get me a deer in Bassdudes back yard.. then I can call em on the phone and see what time he'll have it ready for pick-up LMAO!!!!

Hog
EI
  • EI
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
Would that be a long distance call?
bassdude
21 years ago
hey now stay outta my yard. I have seen foxes and coyotes but no deer in my yard.
usahog
  • usahog
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
"Would that be a long distance call?"

yea he's about an hour and a half south east of me...
I'll just tip the barrel up a slight bit more LOL

Hog
bloody spaniard
21 years ago
Amazing shot.

(LOL! at Hog!)
SteveS
21 years ago
6/10ths of a mile ... damn, that's serious shootin' ...
Charlie
21 years ago
Hooooooah, great shots! The man should get a citation!

Charlie
tpottiger
21 years ago
Reach out and touch something!
THL
  • THL
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
Don't get me wrong, this is great shooting and no doubt he's shooting the folks that need to be shot. But I question the wisdom of publishing this guy's name, the names of his family, and hometown. Sometimes our enemies read! Even our local, homegrown variety of twisted crackpot has enough info from this article to make themselves a hero on the Al Jazeera evening news.
JonR
21 years ago
You THL:

I question your reply which might put that idea in their minds, but you see it on tv news on a daily basis, they say we are vulnerable here and there and how easy it would be to blow up this and that and sometimes they even give out a probable kill ratio.

JonR



THL
  • THL
  • Herf-A-Holic
21 years ago
Nope, don't like that either.
And I will reply as I please.
If you and I have thought of it, you can bet we aren't the first to have those thoughts.
briguy151
21 years ago
thats one hell of a shot. He should have tried lighting the guys cigarette first, then blast him. OHHHHH Righttttttttttt!!!!
Users browsing this topic