SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
21 years ago
Man, it's true ... you can learn something new every day ... here, for example, is something I learned today for the first time in my young life ...

According to an article in the Beaumont (Texas) Enterprise, there is a tradition in many Texas homes of serving an assortment of food on Super Bowl Sunday that includes racoon meat ... according to the article, Silsbee Quality Meat Market and Smoke House has already sold more than 3,500 of the critters so far this year and exptect to sell approx 4,000 more ...

For those who haven't dined on racoon and wonder what the masked critter tastes like, Ivy Jackson (owner of Silsbee's) said "it sort of tastes like pork".

Considering that the article tells us that they're sold with heads, feet and tails attached, I'm guessing they don't LOOK much like pork, though.
Charlie
21 years ago
One of the first times that I can remember something from the wild tasting like something other than chicken!

That is generally what the response is to; What does rattlesnake taste like? Answer- Chicken

What does alligator taste like? Answer- Chicken

LMAO

Charlie

PS Wonder what skunk tastes like?

BeatDragon
21 years ago
Stevie S wrote/typed...
"Considering that the article tells us that they're sold with heads, feet and tails attached, I'm guessing they don't LOOK much like pork, though."

**************************************************

A very astute hypothesis Mr. S. And judging by this assesment of yours, it seems that higher education has done you well! 😉



Missed you at the NO-TASTEing event last night.
usahog
21 years ago
I wont touch Raccoon, Skunk,Oppossom, or rats...

but I've had cat, dog, gator, snake, Camel(I think?) Oysters, Squid, clam, fish eggs, and Love mudfish/crawdaddys... hell I liked em all!!!!

Hog

Oh Yea Sea Weed also... gotta have my greens ;0)
bud451
21 years ago
Was the Camel smoked?

....sorry, couldn't resist that one

usahog
21 years ago
actually it was...

and then carved off of the skewer like a Gyro/Geero?

course they use lamb and goat for these also... but I know the difference in those two compaired to this one I ate... I'm pretty sure it was camel LOL

Hog
bassdude
21 years ago
hey Hog who the hell does your cookin?

I have had many of the items you have listed - the ones you have tried except dog and camel.

Love them crawdads
bud451
21 years ago
wild guess...figured a camel had to be smoked to enjoy.

Oysters, squid, clams, fish eggs, and crawdaddys...all great, I'll skip on the cat and dog though
usahog
21 years ago
"hey Hog who the hell does your cookin?"

Bass, much of these were on deployments over the yrs...

The Mrs. wont fix any of the wild game or sea food so I've gotta fend for myself LOL... I cook allot of it.. or used to in the past...

I've cut back allot... no more deployments and the Mrs. is one hell of a cook at whatever she cooks!!!!

her Lasgnia (sp) earlier this week didn't last no time... she fixed two big pans and only 3 of us... I don't know where it went?? Honest!!! LMAO!!!

Hog
Users browsing this topic