nycdevildog
21 years ago
So as many of you know, I won a contest on this forum over a month ago. BongoSTL announced he was graduating college shortly and wanted to give away some sticks he had around, including an ISOM or two. What was interesting about the contest to me was that it was one I thought I could actually win. Guess his major and concentration in college. I had a sense from reading other posts what it was and while I didn't exactly name the specific concentration (not sure anyone could, it was rather arcane), I came closer than anybody and was declared the winner on a Monday. Bongo told me he was packing up and would send the sticks out that week.

That week passed and I didn't receive anything. Another week went by and nothing. I sent Bongo an Instant Message and he said that he had "completely forgot" about sending the package but would do so the next day. That was on May 23. But, no package came.

A week later, May 30, I started to wonder if Bongo might have sent the package to the wrong address. He was so insistent that he was sending the next day that I figured maybe I didn't give him my apartment number or something. I sent an email and asked for a tracking number, if he had sent by USPS priority mail. No response from Bongo, though.

A little over a week ago, I posted a thread on this forum where I asked for advice about what one does in a contest situation like this one. I was really pleased that people took the time to respond and the consensus was that I should keep on the contest provider and/or reveal who said person was. One responder noted that I shouldn't "call out" someone who is giving free sticks. I took that point very seriously and hesitated in mentioning the person's name until I was sure that they weren't going to send and weren't taking the contest they started seriously.

On June 5 I sent an email actually explaining to Bongo that I was disappointed he hadn't sent the sticks and asking for an explanation as to why this might have happened. No response. This past Wednesday, I said that if I didn't get some kind of reasonable explanation that I was going to bring this up to the board. No response until Friday afternoon.

Now, you may be saying to yourself, "it's just a contest, why not let it go?" And I was going to probably not bring it up until Bongo ultimately resurfaced on the board. At that point I might have said, "whatever happened to the sticks you promised to send?"

But my mind was made up today when he finally said that the package has not gone out yet, this is a zero priority and because of unnamed "personal matters," he might send out "a package," he might not. That's pretty much it. Nice to know that "completely forgot" morphed into "the next day" to "I don't know when I will have time." However, as Bongo assured me, "As you know from the board, my reputation is a good one." But it's not good with me. Actions speak louder than words.

After a month of not receiving this, it's the principle at this point. The cigars aren't important (though I've come to agree that a contest is binding like a trade), but what is important is that if mailing a simple box is that much of a burden, then much earlier on I should have been made aware of that, instead of wasting time sending emails, starting threads and so forth. I would have understood if there was some communication.

Not sure I'll enter any more contests on this board and while I've made some great friends here, not sure about trusting new people either. This "I have personal matters and just ignore what I've said in the past" thing isn't too convincing. It isn't the end of the world, and I realize this is the Internet and it can be a sketchy mode of communication, but I think this should be brought to people's attentions.
havanaone
21 years ago
Sometimes people are in a funny way,but to dog ya and not send the smokes is not right.
Kim(HV1)
deadeyedick
21 years ago
Sounds like you have handled this in the proper way. Like you said; the smokes are not important but communication and follow up is.

I, for one, am glad to have the knowledge that this person may not keep his word in future dealings.

DED
wennerman
21 years ago
Ny...good for you my Bro..you did what you should do..let everyone know that this person's word don't mean crap....and yes it is a big deal when someone wants you to trust them and then they screw you over..
moonman
21 years ago
Hey NYCDEVILDOG, that story pisses me off in your favor. Remember this, it is always better to be pissed off than to be pissed on! I thought perhaps a little stupid humor might help lighten the mood. I would like to send you a five pack from my collection to right this wrong. Others have been generous to me from this forum & it would make me feel good to hook you up. E-mail me your snailer at [email protected]
moonman
21 years ago
4:04 AM Yikes! Get some sleep would ya! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
ropeman
21 years ago
I believe you are correct in bringing this matter to the public. All everyone has on this board is his\her word. Yes the cigars were free but not really. It was a contest he put together, he knew there would be a winner and he would have to send out cigars. When someone posts they are giving away cigars they need to follow through with what they say. As I mentioned in the begining, all we have is our word. I hope you dont stop playing in contests just because of what one person did. Everyone knows what happened now and will be more skeptical of dealing with the person now.
I too would like to send you out some cigars to make up for this wrong. Please send me your snailer at rope.man at verizon.net and I will send you out some fine smokes.

ropeman


mydsooner
21 years ago
This guy has been questionable in thew past. Im not sure why nobody warned you of this. Maybe because it was a contest and not a trade.

Thats why i do 99% of my posting& 100% of trading on another sight. Way to many problems over here with newbs not knowing any different and not asking.And to many new guys who think they can just lurk and send bombs of CRAP cigars in hopes of getting a bomb back full of premiums. Happens way to often.


rugrunner
21 years ago
are they as impressed with you on the other site as you are?
moonman
21 years ago
Good question Rugrunner.
Que
  • Que
  • Aficionado
21 years ago
nyc,
I also feel that you handled this properly. I think that deciding to hold a contest is a RAOK, but as soon as you post the contest and declare a winner, then it becomes an obligation. I think that the cigars needed to be sent out and I thank you for the info on this.

Rugrunner,
yes we are impressed with him.

Que
gonesledn
21 years ago
actualy rugrunner, i personaly have had a few dealings with mydsooner here and other boards. he is a upstanding brother, and has bombed me out of the blue. obviously your snide remark proves how little informed you are.

wes
mydsooner
21 years ago
It's ok Q & Sledn. I dont let these things bother me. I didnt call anyone out in my post so it's all good.

Ya know what they say about the truth hurting....
rugrunner
21 years ago
Oh so sorry, it seemed kinda snide to me for to come to this forum and bash it and it's newbies for trying to give crappy cigars hoping to get good ones in return. Maybe as newbies they gave what they thought were good cigars. I have read other posts where mysooner dumps on new people just for being new. He said he should have a post counter so all the lowly newbies could pay him his due respect. For what posting longer? That's your claim to fame? wow. So the point i was trying to make is if you do 90% of your posting and all of your trading elsewhere, then why are you here being snide. I never said he was a bad trader or wasn't a generous guy. I think he might take his importance as a fog a tad to serious. As far as "calling someone out" you make it sound like the exercise yard at sing sing. Now you tell me, does the truth hurt?
Seth Gekko
21 years ago
. . . . . I'm impressed with mydsooner . . . . .
mbrown4172
21 years ago
wow.....

i'm pretty impressed with him to,to bad you bash a guy that you've never dealt with. sooner keep being you,you're alright in my book bro....

please don't ever send me anymore of those "crappy cigars" of yours!!!!!

lmao....
rugrunner
21 years ago
can/do any of you actually read English? I made no comment about Myssooner's trades, bombs, honesty, integrity, lineage, personal grooming habit, or his dog. I simply pointed out that he is rather big headed about being a FOG on this forum at the same time he says this forum sucks and he prefers to post and trade elsewhere. If so good for you go there and post and trade to your hearts content. It just seems rather silly to be here posting that this is a $hitty place to post. Maybe you would take it better from some other FOGs
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/forum/forum.cfm?action=list&forumID=9&messageDisplay=0000000040552 
lukin
21 years ago
I am impressed with mydsooner as well, and frankly the problems he speaks of have become a problem here. I don't trade anywhere else, and have recieved some pretty shady packages in trades from people who should know better. If you've had problems with Jeff in the past with trading, I would be suprised. He has always been solid and has been one of the few people on the board to randomly bomb me and I know that I'm not the only one. He also has been the host for several contests on this board.

As far as Bongo is concerned, I am a little split on this. I won a contest on one of my first weeks here. After several weeks, the cigars had not shown up. I e-mailed the person in question and got a reply from his wife saying that he had just been in a major motorcycle accident and was still in the hospital. He stayed in the hospital for over a month and still has never posted again. He has recovered since, but not totally. Suddenly a fiver of smokes didn't seem that important. Perhaps something is going on in Bongo's life that has dramatically altered it. I like to give the person the benefit of the doubt at least once. That being said, Bongo has been the recipient of some major bombs (the one from country that was like 100 sticks or something comes to mind) on this board, and he should do everything to honor those people on the board and come through with the trade, even if it was a contest. People sometimes spend a lot of time doing research in these contests and its a shame to see people backing out of them (i.e. pimpstickdaddy)
mrtelcom
21 years ago
Mydsooner is all right in my book and his views are shared by many, including me.

I also think his comments are germane to this thread, his comments describe how trading on this site is much less controlled than on some other sites, and the risks are higher. Like many other FOG's, we gravitate elsewhere. Some do, some don't.
strick9
21 years ago
I have always been very impressed with Jeff(mydsooner) in trading on these boards, and in person. Jeff is a very respectable guy. His points have always been valid and never have I seen any of them "calling someone out".

Keep on keepin' on brother.

-Mark
Users browsing this topic