wjskin
  • wjskin
  • Enthusiast Topic Starter
24 years ago
Greetings to all! I am a lurker emerging out from the shadows (dark and a little damp...kinda like a humidor, but sometime you gotta get out and breathe a little). Posted previously in E-chicks "getting to know you" thread, but now I've come for some sage advice.

Joined a cigar club a few months ago. $60 annual fee got me a free Csonka Travel Humi (seats up to 4 large ringers) plus a free cigar of my choice (selected brand) each month. August hails Partagas as the brand of choice and I can select from anything the shop offers (they have about 8-10 offerings).

My question for the Partagas fans out there (and you know who you are)...if you were a newbie and about to partake in your virgin "P", what would be the top 2 (OK, maybe 3) selections you would make?
wjskin
  • wjskin
  • Enthusiast Topic Starter
24 years ago
Actually, in my intrepidness, I hit the "post message" button too soon. Premature ejection.

Wanted to tell everyone that I've enjoyed the comments and wisdom (OK, I'm sucking up a bit...insert cigar joke here) expounded here during my lurk-a-thon.

And to SteveS...forget it. As a newbie, you wouldn't want what I got. I believe in starting from the bottom of the barrel and working my way up. Therefore, you won't see anything in my current collection that doesn't shout out "boom bust" or "el cheapo del cigarbid". But I'm advancing and slowly growing a collection. If it means smoking a few dog lumps, then I'll take my lumps. How am I going to know the good from the bad (or downright ugly) if I don't sample these toasted turds?

But I digress.

Anyway, hope to be able to contribute in the weeks/months ahead. I know there are a lot of newbies out there. Maybe I should denote upcoming threads with an "NB", kinda like the "OT" threads on the asc board. This way, the experts can either pass 'em by or (god willing) throw us a bone of wisdom to gnaw on while we spit out the gristle.

In any event, glad to be here!
goldengoose7
24 years ago
Be sure to get some of the #10 Maduros!

Those are one of my favorite cigars from any cigar maker.
Charlie
24 years ago
Love the Partagas Black Label Torpedo!!!! Charlie
JonR
24 years ago
Yo wjskin : You might want to try a " Partagas Black Label - Magnifico " it's 6/54 a full bodied spicey peppery tasting even burning cool smoking beauty , but keep in mind it is a full bodied cigar. JonR

Ps : Welcome aboard !
DrMaddVibe
24 years ago
Try a Cifuentes y Cia! Darker the better! It'll become one of your faves.
Mr.Mean
24 years ago
If your new and your first Partagas is a black label, they'll find you on the floor twitching like a coon dog dreaming of a hunt. A nice first Partagas IMO is a the Partagas maduro.
Mr.Mean
24 years ago
Oh yeah and welcome aboard. If you have nothing but dog rockets, send you initiation fee to DaveyG.
arbn2/505
24 years ago
This cigar leaves me licking my lips and leaves me with an asthma like condition: Partagas Black Pronto Tins of 6. I had a Partagas Black Clasico and was not impressed. These little babies are FULL bodied, burn well (which the clasico did not), and last 1/2 hour. One of the best short smokes I ever had. A friend of mine who only smokes the occasional stick (mild ones at that) even loved it.
Torpedo1
24 years ago
Ditto on the Cifeuntes. Haven't seen one in about a year. Great smoke!!!! I think I need a few for myself (Hard to get around here). The series "S" Primero is one of my favorites. If not available, go with the Partagas #8 Maduro. After a bit of time in the Humidor, your tastebuds will beg for more!!!! For a perfect finish, try a sip of Warres Warrior Porto, unless you have a vintage at hand.
RICKAMAVEN
24 years ago
partagas series S any size. my preference is the exquisito.
Todog
24 years ago
The Black Labels are not for the young! They are mean and nasty like Mr. Mean.
SteveS
24 years ago
Black Labels mean and nasty??? ... if so, then mean + nasty = GOOOOOOD!!!!!
SteveS
24 years ago
'skin, since you're at the bottom of the barrel workin' up, we'll give you a special dispensation to wait on sending out your 'welcome kit' cigars to all the rest here ... we're always looking for more 'gars, but we want something smokeable ... this doesn't get you off the hook, but it does allow you to wait until you've outbid us on some of the good ones ... THEN send 'em out and ... oh yes ... our contingency welcome and thanks in advance
wjskin
  • wjskin
  • Enthusiast Topic Starter
24 years ago
Thanks to all for their suggestions on my pick. Went to the local cigar shop this AM and noticed they whittled the selection down to four (all black label). My choice was the Bravo, Clasico, Magnifico and Pyramide. While tempted by the Pyramide's higher retail value, I opted for the Magnifico (as suggested). I've placed it in my "special occasion" box and will give it a whirl (on a full stomach, of course) sometime next month. Thanks, again!
eleltea
24 years ago
Whatever partagas you choose should be good, except for the Magnifico. Stay away from that one.

Oh, and welcome aboard again.

gdurfor
24 years ago
good choice the black's are great
wjskin
  • wjskin
  • Enthusiast Topic Starter
24 years ago
ELT- Uh, oh. I went with the Magnifico. What did you find disagreeable about it? BTW, thanks for the welcome.
Mr.Mean
24 years ago
LLT wants your cigar!
SteveS
24 years ago
the heck with LLT, *I* want his cigar!
Users browsing this topic