chswrst726
13 years ago
Ok, so the guy who got me into smoking a couple months ago is relentless in his generosity toward me.

Tats, AF'S including a couple opus x's, Liga, and anything else I accidentally mention that I might go out and buy.

I can't talk about a cigar without him giving me a couple. I went to borrow a 5-CT travel humid for my holiday trip back home, and it was packed full of super-premiums that he "forgot" about.


I need to figure out how to reciprocate. Every time I take him a few of my favs, I am sent home with double or triple the amount I brought. We are both headed to Afghanistan at the first of the year, so I need something that I can do before I get back on the 6th.

Any ideas on how to hit him hard enough that he can't reciprocate for a while?

Thanks, all. Happy holidays.
ZRX1200
13 years ago
When you can't match sticks.....do something thoughtful. That's what he's been doing.

Mrs.Tank
13 years ago
guys here have been having this issue for years...
Advojp
13 years ago

When you can't match sticks.....do something thoughtful. That's what he's been doing.

ZRX1200 wrote:



Excellent advice! People here drop booze favorites or hard to finds, gifts for the botl's other family members, etc...
madspackler
13 years ago
What Z said. Branch out to the rest of the family. Something for the Mrs or his children.
chswrst726
13 years ago
Not an option. He's a single soldier living in the barracks. I did invite him over to thanksgiving, which backfired on me when he brought me a gift pack from his fav microbrew and a handful of sticks...
Bur
  • Bur
  • Herf-A-Holic
13 years ago
^^ Still think that is a good option, and let him hang in the garage if he likes turning wrenches, let him do laundry, hang with your family and friends. Getting single soldiers/sailors out of the barracks means a lot. If he brings brews/smokes, make sure he helps consume them.

Sounds like a stand-up guy, if he's not on this board, maybe in a few weeks organize a deployed soldier box pass we could send him.
engletl
13 years ago

Ok, so the guy who got me into smoking a couple months ago is relentless in his generosity toward me.

Tats, AF'S including a couple opus x's, Liga, and anything else I accidentally mention that I might go out and buy.

I can't talk about a cigar without him giving me a couple. I went to borrow a 5-CT travel humid for my holiday trip back home, and it was packed full of super-premiums that he "forgot" about.


I need to figure out how to reciprocate. Every time I take him a few of my favs, I am sent home with double or triple the amount I brought. We are both headed to Afghanistan at the first of the year, so I need something that I can do before I get back on the 6th.

Any ideas on how to hit him hard enough that he can't reciprocate for a while?

Thanks, all. Happy holidays.

chswrst726 wrote:



PM me your APO and expected Ship home month and I will get you add to Operation From the Hearts shipping list

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Todd
Bur
  • Bur
  • Herf-A-Holic
13 years ago
BTW I came home from Kabul (as a slimy contractor/mercenary) in October, and amazingly we couldn't get corn chips at the mini-exchange we had. Lots of Pringles, but corn chips were never in stock. While the other goodies OFtH/USO send are great you'd be amazed that corn chips are high up the list of "wants".

Chswrst726, Plack, Gimbels-thanks guys for going downrange for us! Know that some remember the US is still at war.

Numismaniac
13 years ago

PM me your APO and expected Ship home month and I will get you add to Operation From the Hearts shipping list

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Todd

engletl wrote:





thanks, Todd.........gonna be helping more with this next year, chs726, thanks for your service, and good to know Bur, it was always the odd things that a family member liked that I would always try to send...............never know what little piece of home means to each person serving over there, that they can't get their hands on.
chswrst726
13 years ago

thanks, Todd.........gonna be helping more with this next year, chs726, thanks for your service, and good to know Bur, it was always the odd things that a family member liked that I would always try to send...............never know what little piece of home means to each person serving over there, that they can't get their hands on.

Numismaniac wrote:



Haha, didn't realize plack was on these boards. We work with him as well.

Thanks for the good wishes, guys. I've got a few ideas now. Will update with what I get him.
dubleuhb
13 years ago
Nothing says Merry Christmas Like a little HO HO HO.
chswrst726
13 years ago

Nothing says Merry Christmas Like a little HO HO HO.

dubleuhb wrote:



While this seems like a good idea, I don't think tacoma has a red light district.
delta1
13 years ago
Post his pic here chswrst726. There may be a few peeps here who'll "do" him for you! (j/k)

He sounds like a very generous and thoughtful guy. I agree with the others here that you should try a different route to express your gratitude. If you know your way around the grill, a two pound bone-in ribeye will always put a smile on a man's face.
chswrst726
13 years ago
Ok, so the final package that I'm going to give him is as follows:

AF 2012 Holiday Sampler Box ( 2 Anejo 48, 2 Hemmingway Classics, 2 Double Chateau Natural, 2 Double Chateau Sun Grown & 2 Opus X Perfection X.)
A retractable punch cutter in polished gunmetal in a nice gift box (oddly enough, the man who has everything cigar related does NOT have a punch cutter...til now)
Also going to throw an FF Opus X and a couple Anejo's into his 5-count when I return it to him.


I'm hoping this will at least wipe the some of the red from my ledger.



Are these smokes something that would be sufficient as a 'nice gift?' Or did I just waste a bunch of money on some bullcrap?
cacman
13 years ago
Nice gift bro! Well done!
Understand that most brothers don't keep a ledger though.
chswrst726
13 years ago
Figurative ledger, not literal. We don't actually keep tabs.

I recently got done watching the Avengers and felt the need to semi-quote it. 😛
delta1
13 years ago
Your friend will be extremely offended by that silly gesture. Before you totally wreck your relationship, send it to me quickly. I'll destroy all traces of that feeble offering and it'll be our secret.
chswrst726
13 years ago
Oh shiz. Thanks for the heads up. Pm your addy so I can take care of my faux pas. I promise it won't be posted publicly. 😛
plack
13 years ago

Haha, didn't realize plack was on these boards. We work with him as well.

Thanks for the good wishes, guys. I've got a few ideas now. Will update with what I get him.

chswrst726 wrote:



Hey man i told you i was all over this! And we need to find a way to get ol nick back! I was thinking about getting him a bottle of johnny walksr if you want to go in on it let me know
Users browsing this topic