porschesales225
12 years ago
Looks like very cigar i have that wasnt wrapped in cellow or in a tubo has fuzz. I just stuck them all in the fridge for the next few days. Any recommendations on what to do after that? Freezer? for how long?

I cant believe i am going to lose most of my collection from the last 7 years.:-({|=

any advice is appreciated.
euodias
12 years ago
I hope you wiped the mold off at least. What color was it?
grmcooper
12 years ago
White and looked like crystals.
porschesales225
12 years ago
White and greenish and like fiber glass. I really teared up. I've had some of these since hockey dad gifted them to me and longer than I've known my wife in some cases 9 or so.
tonygraz
12 years ago
Now I'm gonna have nightmares.
fishinguitarman
12 years ago
Wipe 'em and smoke 'em
cacman
12 years ago
Freezing them may only help if you have beetles. It will do nothing for mold. Refrigerating them may only introduce further moisture. Wipe them down and lower the rH in your humi to 62-65%. You may have to separate the ones with mold in a different humi with a lower rH around 58-60% to dry-out the excess moisture (almost like dry-boxing). It probably wouldn't hurt to wipe down your humi of any excess spores that may reside.

Good luck.
ZRX1200
12 years ago
euodias
12 years ago

Wipe 'em and smoke 'em

fishinguitarman wrote:




+1, but get your humidity back to normal and I'd toss any that had mold on the foot of the cigar.
triodes
12 years ago
I would segregate them.

Wipe them gently.

slowly lower humidity in a seperate cooler, say with boveda packs.

Smoke em up.

Do _not_ put them back in with others that are not yet moldy.

Wipe original humidor down with diluted bleach 1/7 ratio to kill spores. Lower humidity in original humidor.

you probably have not lost them (depending on how bad it is)

But your main focus should be not to lose everything else

HTH
porschesales225
12 years ago
Interesting. I'm going to put them into one of my other humidors and dry this one out for a few months. I'm having to segregate the non cello ones. Here is a case where cello on helped. Going to separate the non infected ones also. I use beads in this humidor I'm not sure what happened.

I'll dry box them also. It's like performing emergency surgery when you find this.

Thanks for the advice
triodes
12 years ago

I use beads in this humidor I'm not sure what happened...

porschesales225 wrote:



Even though you are going to dry out the humidor, I suggest that before you dry it out, clean thoroughly with a 1 part household bleach to 7 parts water solution to kill mold spores. Essentially, that solution is the basic ingredient of consumer mold and mildew killers that are purchased over the counter.

If you dry it out, doesn't mean all the mold spores are gone. They probably will not be, and mildew/mold may return when moisture returns.

I use beads in this humidor I'm not sure what happened...

porschesales225 wrote:



You could fill many buckets with what I don't know about beads.

So, since I dunno, I wonder if beads are capable of absorbing mold spores.

I would probably also isolate the beads until I found out their mold spore retention ability and what to do with them if anything.
Whistlebritches
12 years ago
Two important things here.....Get them out of the fridge/freezer.You said MOLD not Beetles.

Drop that damn ISOM crap.........sorry it's just annoying as hell.Cubans,Habano's,Carribean Love Sticks.....hell I don't care just NOT ISOM.

Now wipe the fuzz off your sticks,dry box them a couple days while lowering your humidity to 65% or below.Press resume for round 2.



Ron
porschesales225
12 years ago
Well we found britches pet peeve lol.

I'm going to wipe it down with bleach.

How many days should I dry box? They came out of the fridge the next day
cacman
12 years ago

Well we found britches pet peeve lol.

I'm going to wipe it down with bleach.

How many days should I dry box? They came out of the fridge the next day

porschesales225 wrote:


If you use a diluted bleach solution, be sure to wipe it down afterwards with distilled water to remove any residue. You will have to let it air-dry for a day or so to air-out the smell. Always used distilled water obviously.

The amount of time you dry-box will depend on the rH of your dry-box and the size of the vitola. Larger vitolas may take longer. IMHO I wouldn't let the rH drop below 57-58%. Guessing off the top of my head I'd rest at lower rH at least a week or two. You should be able to tell by feel when they're ready. Let them settle into the lower rH and acclimate, then slowly raise the rH to 62-65% max over another week or two. Adjustments made too fast in raising the rH back up could result in cracked wrappers. Have patience. Take your time.

Do you store your tubes open or closed? Recommend storing them open with caps removed.

Don't believe HF or archival beads (roaster dude) retain mold or spores. If you use kitty litter (barf), believe that material is porous, may retain the spores, can not be rinsed clean, and would have to be discarded.
Kidmd
12 years ago
One of the most . important factor in mold growth is temperature, how warm was the humidor? Mold can begin to grow at78 degrees or higher.
dkeage
12 years ago

Looks like very cigar i have that wasnt wrapped in cellow or in a tubo has fuzz. I just stuck them all in the fridge for the next few days. Any recommendations on what to do after that? Freezer? for how long?

I cant believe i am going to lose most of my collection from the last 7 years.:-({|=

any advice is appreciated.

porschesales225 wrote:


Buy some Midol
triodes
12 years ago

One of the most . important factor in mold growth is temperature, how warm was the humidor? Mold can begin to grow at78 degrees or higher.

Kidmd wrote:


I was unaware of that. thanks for that post. Learning something here.
borndead1
12 years ago
Beads suck. Use active humidification. The only time I've ever had a mold problem was with beads.
tonygraz
12 years ago
That's the first negative comment I have heard about beads. Just when I'm in the process of converting to beads.
Users browsing this topic