rrumba
  • rrumba
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

Just wondering about the gars coming from online as to what the best or ideal time frame would be considered before lighting one up? some of the ones i got from the BM needed about 2 weeks before they did not taste like crap guess thjat might have been also due to popularity of the ones at that store.
Buckwheat
12 years ago
Depends on the cigars and how the BM keeps them. I think a week or two in the home humidor never hurts any cigars. YMMV. What ever works for you is what is right.
rrumba
  • rrumba
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago


what about form online sites like here?

dharbolt
12 years ago
I generally go at least a week, I have had Burn and draw issues with less time. I try to give them two weeks minimum, but that doesn't always happen

Edit. More is obviously better
TheSmokensip
12 years ago

what about form online sites like here?

rrumba wrote:


2-3 weeks at least for me. they seem to become traumatized traveling from PA to Northern Mexico.
KingoftheCove
12 years ago
Minimum of 2 days humi time for every one day of travel just to get over shipping sickness.......
Then, anywhere from a month, to a year for cigars I get here...........or there......
CCs often need a much longer nap..........................so I've heard........
TheSmokensip
12 years ago
Joined: 08-03-2013
Posts: 1,877

Holy cow D you are a posting machine lol
dharbolt
12 years ago
I, ummmm, got lots of opinions. 🙂
reckless
12 years ago
I will usually smoke on rott if Ive never had it then let them sit for a couple weeks
triodes
12 years ago
Seems like every time I smoke one ROTT or after just a couple of days I don't think nearly as well of the cigar as when I smoke another one several weeks later.

It really is hard to let something I want to try sit that long, but I'm reaching the point that if I really care what it tastes like (in as do I want to get more) I'm going to let them sit several weeks before smoking one.

If I like them ROTT, I like them even more a couple of weeks later.

I don't know what's going on, they should not be that sensitive if properly humidified.

But, that's how it has been seems to me.
05busa
12 years ago
Palama
12 years ago
For stuff from a local I typically wait a week But have smoked some purchased the same day I got them and no issues whatsoever.

As far as arrivals from the Mainland, my minimum is 2, preferably 3 weeks in the humi. I've only smoked one stick ROTT (AF Hemi Short Story Nat) and although it burned fine, didn't taste as good as I know them to be.

One thing for sure, the longer you keep buying from this and other online auction sites, the easier it will be to let them rest as you accumulate more and more sticks. Getting bombed / doing trades helps with aging too as you'll be more apt to smoke one from them than from your purchases.
ZRX1200
12 years ago
Some online vendors store more humid than others and the time of year and length of shipping time all play a factor. But since I have plenty I never rush unless I REALLY want to try something.
05busa
12 years ago
I just smoke what i feel when i feel...... No matter if 2 days old or 12 yrs
rrumba
  • rrumba
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

I just smoke what i feel when i feel...... No matter if 2 days old or 12 yrs

05busa wrote:




like a BOSS


you must have one heckuva a humi or 50. 12 yrs is a long time to let one sit.
reckless
12 years ago

like a BOSS


you must have one heckuva a humi or 50. 12 yrs is a long time to let one sit.

rrumba wrote:


Busa's a nut I heard he has a box in his humi from the 1950's :-"
earthson
12 years ago

Just wondering about the gars coming from online as to what the best or ideal time frame would be considered before lighting one up? some of the ones i got from the BM needed about 2 weeks before they did not taste like crap guess thjat might have been also due to popularity of the ones at that store.

rrumba wrote:



Hmm hmmm hmmm heh heh "BM!"

Usually smoke one rott if I haven't had one before, but it really depends on the cigar. Many of the Nicaraguan cigars need to cure a little bit (1 month - 1 year) while most Dominicans in my experience are ready much sooner. Some companies pre-age them before selling (Padron anniversaries), so they don't need much time at all, while other companies roll and ship, requiring extensive aging before smoking (like most Cubans).

Just experiment and see. Some of my cigars (like DPGs) need to be smoked in the first year I have them, before they lose their magic, while others (Cuban Ramon Allones) need 2-3 years before being passable.

This is why it's always good to get a 5 pack of an un-tested cigar
GhostTown
12 years ago
I smoke right out of the BM, but not ROTT. Depending on the feel of the stick I guess.
Buddha Daddy
12 years ago
Once you get a couple hunerd boxes head of what you could ever possibly smoke, you just buy and stash, buy and stash! Once you get around to trying them they will have plenty of age.
05busa
12 years ago
I bury mine and make a map
Users browsing this topic