Poll Question: Aging broadleaf maduro
reckless
12 years ago
"I prefer broadleaf maduro fresh, too much age they lose their flavor."
Someone told me this recently. I have heard mixed reviews..... What have you guys noticed specifically with tats, padrons and other high end maddies?

Found this article on it and Im not sure if I can post it but hey 😰
http://www.stogiefresh.info/edu-tobacco/articles/Aging-Maduro-Tobacco.html 
tonygraz
12 years ago
Interesting article. I've only noticed improvement in maduro wrapped cigars so far. I bought a bundle of 50 cheap maduro cigars once and smoked most of them in the first six months I had them. A few aged a year or two and they showed remarkable improvement. I also bought a box of El Rey Del Mundo maduros and smoked all but 2 of them in six months and they were good but not remarkable. The two I didn't get to sat in the humdors for 3 years until I noticed one had developed plume. It was remarkable. A month or two later I found the other one and it had no plume and is still waiting to be smoked. I've never noticed any great improvement in non-maduros, which included some non maduros from the same maker of the cheap maduros I mentioned first. I have some Tat CT broadleaf maduros with only about a month or two of aging on them that I plan on smoking this spring. If they are not great by then I'll trying resting them for a year or two and see what happens. I've heard that lousy cigars never get any better, and so far that statement seems to hold except for the case first mentioned. Partagas black do not seem to get better with age, nor do light or medium wrapped Punch cigars. Sancho Panza also hasn't shown any improvement with aging.
illinichaser
12 years ago
wait, we'ere supposed to smoke the cigars, not collect them? ? ?
ZRX1200
12 years ago
Depends on the cigar!
euodias
12 years ago
I bought a box of those NHC tats that came in a split 40 box back in 2010. Consensus at the time was the Reserva was far superior to the Natural at the time. After 3+ years, I think the Natural is smoking better now. I bought a box of 7th Reserva to age and one smoke. Didn't like aged ones nearly as much as the first box. My theory is that the other leaves mellow out a lot faster than the wrapper. I know a lot of Pepin blends lose that black pepper blast in the opening after a couple years of age. So basically that as they age the broadleaf flavor just seems to take over.

So if you really just love the broadleaf flavor and want a smoother smoke, age it. If you like all of the other flavors in the cigar too, smoke it now.

It might be that after some more time the braodleaf will catch up and the cigar might really bloom into a very nuanced smoke someday. Who knows?
fenderbendertex
12 years ago
It really works on some of the rockets. You guys will think I'm crazy, drunk, or both, but a buddy gave me a VS 55 maduro that had aged for 3 years according to the sticker (yes, he dates them) on the cello. Not a 55 fan, but this one was really good with 3 years of naptime. Either that, or the scotch was better...

Of course, a macanudo vintage 1997 has already been aged 16 years, at least the wrapper, so smoke em' if you got 'em!
dharbolt
12 years ago
DBIII
12 years ago
knokmdwn
12 years ago
I've got a few Tat Nobles left from 2006. You are right, they have lost all their original flavors. Now all I have is the creamest, smoothest cigar I have ever tasted that is akin to eating hot buttered lobster off the thighs of a greek virgin godess. Ya, you should just buy'um and smoke um.
sd72
12 years ago
Where's MJToal? Buttered lobster flavors? Greeks don't shave, right?
wheelrite
12 years ago

Oh my,

dharbolt wrote:



get off my Schtick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


wheel,
dharbolt
12 years ago
Whistlebritches
12 years ago
I dislike most broadband maduro's.....they taste like pencil lead to me when young.Aged 5 or 6 years they do become palettable,as a matter of fact I have some 5 year old Jaime Reserva's and LADC Mi Amor's that are downright delicious.


Ron
PorknBeans
12 years ago
boardleaf and broadband maduros ? what kind of stuff yous smokin ?
bs_kwaj
12 years ago

I dislike most broadband maduro's.....

Whistlebritches wrote:



Gotta be better'n them dang dial-up maduros!

triodes
12 years ago

Gotta be better'n them dang dial-up maduros!

bs_kwaj wrote:



As long as they are not DSL maduros. While DSL is technically a broadband it still sucks.

Better than dail-up though.
Users browsing this topic