Frankev
12 years ago
I’m headed to Kauai for 10 days.

After reading about Hawaii’s oppressive new anti-smoking laws,
I was wondering where does a lover of a good cigar go to enjoy a smoke?

Are there private clubs, cigar bars? Any advice is welcome.

Signed Frozen in Detroit.
DrMaddVibe
12 years ago
Wear your Tigers hat and smoke 'em if ya gots 'em.
bs_kwaj
12 years ago
Paging Palama...
Paging Palama...

DrMaddVibe
12 years ago
maybe wear a Hawaiian shirt unbuttoned...some old school basketball shorts...drive a red Ferrari...it's Hawaii!
KingoftheCove
12 years ago
flip flops, birdwell beach britches, plain white tank top, Panama hat, RayBans, cocktail in one hand, good cigar in the other, walk around like you own the place..................................but don't talk too much
DrMaddVibe
cacman
12 years ago
Ask a local. I'm sure they could suggest what and where to smoke!
🇨🇮
Palama
12 years ago

Paging Palama...
Paging Palama...

bs_kwaj wrote:



(...in my best Lurch voice...) You rang?

Smoking in public in Hawaii isn't the easiest thing to do. I do believe ALL hotels in Hawaii ban smoking in the rooms and some even have a smoke elimination fee if they detect the smell so to be safe, I wouldn't even chance it and smoke on the lanai.

With that being said, afaik, only Oahu parks and beaches are smoke-free. Have not heard nor seen that the Kauai County Council has passed anything on that so taking a stroll with a seegar is probably okay but might be best to ask the hotel staff first.

I don't know of any food / bar establishments on Kauai that allow you to smoke either. Well, okay, if there is one / some that do, they don't technically "allow" you to smoke. They'll have signs posted up and their staff will tell you that it's against the law to smoke and tell you about the fine you'd face if you're caught smoking but they'll also give you an ashtray if you ask for one. :-"

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

You know who might know best? Delta1. He was on Kauai last summer and mighta been asking the same thing and has some intel.

Paging Delta1...
Paging Delta1...
delta1
12 years ago
Hope you find Kauai as gorgeous as I did, Frankev.

My first night at the Cliffs resort in the Princeville area, about 10pm local time, I lit up a DPG Blue on the lanai. Within five minutes, the resort security guys came by and told me there was "no smoking" at the resort. Ironically, my neighbor, a local who burned foul smelling incense at all hours of the day and night, snitched on me. I looked at the regulations and saw that there were only a few designated smoking areas on the facility, mostly in lawn areas far removed from the buildings and recreational areas. So each night, I would retreat to the area closest to the cliffs overlooking the ocean and enjoy the sunset with a cigar and a beverage.

IIRC, the island's businesses are all smoke free, along with the public beaches and parks, but I did smoke a cigar or two while going for walks. There are so many beaches and park areas with few people around that no one hassled me. Just be discreet and avoid lighting up where a lot of people gather. I didn't find a cigar bar while there, but honestly didn't look very hard. I did find a good wine shop with great craft beers that had a decent variety of smokes in their humidor across the street from Kauai Community College. I forget the name of the shpo, but look for the sidewalk sign "Island Prince Cigars sold here." Prices were above MSRP though.

There is a house in the neighborhood across the street from the parking lot of the wine shop where they sell killer home smoked huli-huli chicken. The lady of the house sits in the front yard with a sign on a table and a cooler full of hot barbecued chicken. Her husband grills up the chicken in a couple of barrel grills at the rear of the driveway.
rrumba
12 years ago


man i miss the huli huli chicken.............

but i gets da lau lau, manapua, pork hash, lomi salmon and poke.....
Palama
12 years ago

man i miss the huli huli chicken.............

but i gets da lau lau, manapua, pork hash, lomi salmon and poke.....

rrumba wrote:



Where's da haupia?
Abrignac
12 years ago

(...in my best Lurch voice...) You rang?

Smoking in public in Hawaii isn't the easiest thing to do. I do believe ALL hotels in Hawaii ban smoking in the rooms and some even have a smoke elimination fee if they detect the smell so to be safe, I wouldn't even chance it and smoke on the lanai.

With that being said, afaik, only Oahu parks and beaches are smoke-free. Have not heard nor seen that the Kauai County Council has passed anything on that so taking a stroll with a seegar is probably okay but might be best to ask the hotel staff first.

I don't know of any food / bar establishments on Kauai that allow you to smoke either. Well, okay, if there is one / some that do, they don't technically "allow" you to smoke. They'll have signs posted up and their staff will tell you that it's against the law to smoke and tell you about the fine you'd face if you're caught smoking but they'll also give you an ashtray if you ask for one. :-"

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

You know who might know best? Delta1. He was on Kauai last summer and mighta been asking the same thing and has some intel.

Paging Delta1...
Paging Delta1...

Palama wrote:




Since you can't really smoke a cigar in Hawaii, perhaps I should just keep those R44's I just boxed up???
Frankev
12 years ago
First, happy opening day to all.

The last of the snow has melted away here in SE Michigan and the boys of summer will shortly be taking the field. The new turf shipped in from Colorado looks great and we have a balmy 54 degrees with sunshine predicted. Play ball!

Secondly, thanks for the useful post.

You know I thought New York was the land of no but they have nothing on the Aloha State. What I don’t get is there is a new start up on Kauai called the “Kauai Cigar Company” (kauaicigar.com). They seemed to have made s significant investment in land, talent and product development only to find the enjoyment of their product severely restricted in its home state. Perhaps I’ll take a lawn chair up to their new tobacco fields and sit among the leafs and burn one or two.

This is the wife and I second trip to the “garden island”. Our first with family.

We rented a home for 10 days in Hanalei and the rental agreement has a warning in BOLD about tobacco use anywhere on the property.

Thank you all again.

Thawing in Detroit.
Palama
12 years ago

Since you can't really smoke a cigar in Hawaii, perhaps I should just keep those R44's I just boxed up???

Abrignac wrote:



[-x

Dayum threadjacker!

My garage fulfills my need for a smoking spot. 🇨🇮
rrumba
12 years ago

Where's da haupia?

Palama wrote:




bugga is gone
Palama
12 years ago

bugga is gone

rrumba wrote:



Bummers 😞
Palama
12 years ago
Frankev - If you buy any of the Kauai Cigar Co. cigars, I believe they smoke better after at least a year of rest. Of course ymmv.
Users browsing this topic