dlandri21
12 years ago
So I read a few articles today that said the government will be regulating our stogies. None of these articles seem to mention the scope ofthe regulation. Has anyone heard anything?
paulkeck
12 years ago
No but they are trying to hit E cigs up also
danmdevries
12 years ago
current language is supposed to exclude premium cigars.
Weapon X
12 years ago
better stock up on some Gurhkas
Puffnstuff79
12 years ago
Gurkhas are super premiums, however, an acquired taste. Anyhow, I read stuff about this and there was talk about small percentages in raised tax all the way up to x100 what tax is or something. A lot of speculation at this point was what I read before I got bored and knew it wasn't happening soon enough to affect me
Puffnstuff79
12 years ago
Read more somewhere just a few minutes ago. Proposals have been made
TMCTLT
12 years ago
The Basturds 🌫 rasa frassin dirty no good
deadeyedick
12 years ago

"Yesterday the FDA announced that they plan on opening a forum for 75 days to allow the public to comment on tobacco regulation measures that are currently being discussed in Washington. The issue at hand is whether the FDA should have legislative control to regulate premium cigar and pipe tobacco, e-cigarettes and "flavored" tobaccos the way they currently regulate cigarettes. Long story short, giving full control to the FDA could result in drastic and severe changes to not only the types of cigars and pipe tobaccos you're allowed to enjoy, but how they're made, where they're made, how you purchase them and how much you pay for them.

The goal has always been to distinguish premium cigars and pipe tobacco - the types of tobacco that we as adults enjoy - from other forms of tobacco, and to allow the industry as it stands now to stay deregulated. As soon as we know more about the 75 day period, and where you can voice your concern, we will let you know... And we sincerely hope that you'll take the time to voice your opinion, speak your mind, and to fight for your freedom to enjoy premium tobacco. Lastly, if this is something you feel strongly about, we encourage you to join Cigar Rights of America, a worthy group that fights every day in both Washington D.C. and at the state level to protect your rights as a smoker."
danmdevries
12 years ago

"Yesterday the FDA announced that they plan on opening a forum for 75 days to allow the public to comment on tobacco regulation measures that are currently being discussed in Washington. The issue at hand is whether the FDA should have legislative control to regulate premium cigar and pipe tobacco, e-cigarettes and "flavored" tobaccos the way they currently regulate cigarettes. Long story short, giving full control to the FDA could result in drastic and severe changes to not only the types of cigars and pipe tobaccos you're allowed to enjoy, but how they're made, where they're made, how you purchase them and how much you pay for them.

The goal has always been to distinguish premium cigars and pipe tobacco - the types of tobacco that we as adults enjoy - from other forms of tobacco, and to allow the industry as it stands now to stay deregulated. As soon as we know more about the 75 day period, and where you can voice your concern, we will let you know... And we sincerely hope that you'll take the time to voice your opinion, speak your mind, and to fight for your freedom to enjoy premium tobacco. Lastly, if this is something you feel strongly about, we encourage you to join Cigar Rights of America, a worthy group that fights every day in both Washington D.C. and at the state level to protect your rights as a smoker."

deadeyedick wrote:



Please share with us when you know about the public forum opportunity.

In the mean time, I'll be emailing my state representatives.
delta1
12 years ago
CRA recommended a letter that members can email to their congressmen. I did, and I got a response back that basically said "Sorry, but I'm in favor of regulating tobacco." Put that in your pipe and smoke it whydontcha....
paulkeck
12 years ago

CRA recommended a letter that members can email to their congressmen. I did, and I got a response back that basically said "Sorry, but I'm in favor of regulating tobacco." Put that in your pipe and smoke it whydontcha....

delta1 wrote:




Hahahaha it aint funny but it is
danmdevries
12 years ago
I don't think we have much support from our representatives.
leftyposthole
12 years ago
Heard they are using the excuse that walk-in humidors can be germ zones since people can touch and smell cigars.
TMCTLT
12 years ago

CRA recommended a letter that members can email to their congressmen. I did, and I got a response back that basically said "Sorry, but I'm in favor of regulating tobacco." Put that in your pipe and smoke it whydontcha....

delta1 wrote:




I hope like Hell you relied with a second one saying you will also NOT be voting for his AZZ 🌫
TMCTLT
12 years ago

I hope like Hell you relied with a second one saying you will also NOT be voting for his AZZ 🌫

TMCTLT wrote:



And that your in favor of regulating over reaching State and Federal representatives who want to tell the rest of us how to live
deadeyedick
12 years ago

Heard they are using the excuse that walk-in humidors can be germ zones since people can touch and smell cigars.

leftyposthole wrote:



Yep. I heard this also. Some legislators are proposing that all B&M humidors be off limits to all customers and that only employees be allowed to access the products.

DED
dlandri21
12 years ago
I'm still researching this and for the life of me, I can't find anything that says exactly how they want to regulate.cigars. All the articles I've ound have to do with the e cigs
teedubbya
12 years ago
^ this is where you comment. Congressmen are fine to email but you want to make sure you comment according to instruction here. ^ This is a proposed rule in which they state their authority. This is not legislation.
teedubbya
12 years ago

DATES: Back to Top


Submit either electronic or written comments on the proposed rule by July 9, 2014. Submit comments on information collection issues under the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (the PRA) by May 27, 2014, (see the “Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995” section).


ADDRESSES: Back to Top


You may submit comments, identified by Docket No. FDA-2014-N-0189 and/or Regulatory Information Number (RIN) 0910-AG38, by any of the following methods, except that comments on information collection issues under the PRA must be submitted to the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office of Management and Budget (OMB) (see the “Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995” section).


Electronic Submissions Back to Top


Submit electronic comments in the following way:
http://www.regulations.gov . Follow the instructions for submitting comments.


Written Submissions Back to Top


Submit written submissions in the following ways:
Mail/Hand delivery/Courier (for paper submissions): Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305), Food and Drug Administration, 5630 Fishers Lane, rm. 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.

http://www.regulations.gov , including any personal information provided. For additional information on submitting comments, see the “Comments” heading of the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section.

http://www.regulations.gov  and insert the docket number, found in brackets in the heading of this document, into the “Search” box and follow the prompts and/or go to the Division of Dockets Management, 5630 Fishers Lane, rm. 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.


FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Back to Top


Gerie Voss, Office of Regulations, Center for Tobacco Products, Food and Drug Administration, 9200 Corporate Blvd., Rockville, MD 20850-3229, 877-287-1373, [email protected].
Users browsing this topic