Puffnstuff79
12 years ago
Ok, age good stick get good results usually for fuller sticks.
Age a crap stick and you get diarrhea
What about decent $2-5 sticks (cbid prices) that have some strength proclaimed to them? Probably should've asked my vet or others before going crazy on boxes of decent sticks to age.
Buckwheat
12 years ago
There is no guarantee that aging any stick will improve it. The only way to know is to stock some away and try them from time to time to see how they are tasting. 🌫
danmdevries
12 years ago

There is no guarantee that aging any stick will improve it. The only way to know is to stock some away and try them from time to time to see how they are tasting. 🌫

Buckwheat wrote:



This.

Mostly ive found they need acclamation to proper storage condition and they're good to go. CCs need age. Some NCs improve with age, but not a rule.

Few months and most NCs are good to go. Not saying age wont help, in some cases it will, but like bw said, its trial n error.

Park a couple fivers n grab one every few weeks, take notes. I keep a notebook that I glue the band, write the date, and my impression of the cigar. Theres been about half that have improved over time, and half that have held steady. (Only 6 months of doing this though)
Buckwheat
12 years ago
Resting sticks for a little time (i.e. less than a year) isn't aging. Aging is putting them down for year(s). 🌫
crgcpro
12 years ago
I think BJ or TJ said it best:

Aged cheapos become good yard gars
Aged middle tier become good cigars
Aged High-end cigars become phenominal

(5 years being the minimum aging)

There are exceptions but this is a pretty good guide.
roadlaw
12 years ago

I think BJ or TJ said it best:

Aged cheapos become good yard gars
Aged middle tier become good cigars
Aged High-end cigars become phenominal

(5 years being the minimum aging)

There are exceptions but this is a pretty good guide.

crgcpro wrote:



I have to agree. when I first got into cigars (about 7 yrs ago) i went nuts as most do and i bought a ton. i have continued to buy well past my daily smoking capabilty. I have noticed that full bodied cigars become excellent after 2-3 yrs (a lot of perdomos come to mind) and higher end cigars as well become very nice after 2-4 yrs. Ive also notice that there is definitely a limit to aging and some decrease in awesomeness if aged too long. As crgcpro stated, cheapos become turds. But.....this is what I enjoy about cigars.....smoking one right off the truck when they are delivered, smoking one 6 months later, a year later and so on.

So enjoy the experimentation and discover on your own what you enjoy about aging cigars! 🇨🇮
Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago
Great info thank you gentlemen
rfenst
12 years ago

There is no guarantee that aging any stick will improve it. The only way to know is to stock some away and try them from time to time to see how they are tasting. 🌫

Buckwheat wrote:



+1
rfenst
12 years ago

Resting sticks for a little time (i.e. less than a year) isn't aging. Aging is putting them down for year(s). 🌫

Buckwheat wrote:



+1 again
Puffnstuff79
12 years ago

Great info thank you gentlemen

Hillbillyjosh770 wrote:



+1
danmdevries
12 years ago

Resting sticks for a little time (i.e. less than a year) isn't aging. Aging is putting them down for year(s). 🌫

Buckwheat wrote:



Cant argue with that. Haven't had the opportunity or time to participate in the practice.
pdxstogieman
12 years ago
For the most part I've not seen any crap cigars turned into a fine smoke via aging.

I was fortunate to experience the 1st exception for me last night. I dug to the bottom of the humidor and dared to pull out an Oliveros 1927 torpedo that had been lurking there for about 5 years, I'd smoke some soon after I got them and and at the time they burned poorly, tasted semi-nasty, They have a thick rustic wrapper with a lot of veins. I'd let some go for a couple of years and tried them. Not much better. But after 5 years, the one I smoked last night had become a tasty medium full stick, burned well and still showed some oiliness at the burning edge. Not that I'd purposely buy them again if they're still being made, but it was a pleasant surprise and proof that there is some significant positive transformation with age for some smokes.
tonygraz
12 years ago
The sad thing is that after finding out how much aging makes a certain cigar great, by the time they are great they may no longer be available or the same. And since you don't really know how much aging it takes, you may end up smoking them too soon or too late in the aging process.
Puffnstuff79
12 years ago
What about la perla habana? Do they age? If so, which? I would assume maduro if any right?
Stinkdyr
12 years ago
I have nothing useful to add here.

🇨🇮
Puffnstuff79
12 years ago

I have nothing useful to add here.

🇨🇮

Stinkdyr wrote:


Users browsing this topic