Clownshoes
12 years ago
Last year I switched my Oasis humidifier from distilled water to PG solution since I had a few bottles I received as a gift and I was having minor white mold issues. My mold issues went away and the sponge in the Oasis seemed to absorb the PG solution way better than the distilled water (probably some surface tension issue but that's another topic) so I figure everything was good to go.

I kept this up all winter and now I'm noticing a pretty strong metallic taste in the smoke which I did not experience last year. Some of my cigars are almost 5 years old so I'm not sure if this is an age thing but I did find a couple posts regarding PG having a metallic taste. If the PG really is the culprit, is there any way back from this? I never trusted this stuff to begin with, it seemed to be a lot of hype with little science behind it and now I'm kind of wishing I stuck with my gut.
DrafterX
12 years ago
🤔

try putting a magnet in there..... 😟
ZRX1200
12 years ago
First off those sponges are mold factories. Use distilled water and they will STILL MOLD......

PG solution is known as a culprit for that metallic taste and I would bet that is in fact what happened. I would wipe down the humidor that's about all you could do besides switching to rh% BEADS.
DrMaddVibe
12 years ago
You're screwed.

Buckwheat
12 years ago
I dumped my Oasis humidifier pretty early on and switched to beads and have never looked back. Never really thought the Oasis did a good job. You should setup a coolerdor or tupador with only distilled water and move your sticks and see if it makes a difference. I hope it works out for you.
Clownshoes
12 years ago
I have a second humidor I can set up. I'll pick up some beads tonight and transfer them over this weekend. I probably am screwed but it's too many sticks to just throw out, have to try something. Thanks for the replies and **** PG solution.
ZRX1200
12 years ago
HEART FELT condolences
Puffnstuff79
12 years ago
=d>

HEART FELT condolences

ZRX1200 wrote:


Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago

HEART FELT condolences

ZRX1200 wrote:



Fork it out. The beads won't let you down
Buckwheat
12 years ago

Fork it out. The beads won't let you down

Hillbillyjosh770 wrote:



+1 =d>
cacman
12 years ago
Nothing like using a toxic substance to store your cigars with:
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/toxsubstance.asp?toxid=240 

And while you're at it, fire-up one of those fruity-flavored e-vapes to kill that metallic taste in you cigar.

Good luck.
Abrignac
12 years ago

Last year I switched my Oasis humidifier from distilled water to PG solution since I had a few bottles I received as a gift and I was having minor white mold issues. My mold issues went away and the sponge in the Oasis seemed to absorb the PG solution way better than the distilled water (probably some surface tension issue but that's another topic) so I figure everything was good to go.

I kept this up all winter and now I'm noticing a pretty strong metallic taste in the smoke which I did not experience last year. Some of my cigars are almost 5 years old so I'm not sure if this is an age thing but I did find a couple posts regarding PG having a metallic taste. If the PG really is the culprit, is there any way back from this? I never trusted this stuff to begin with, it seemed to be a lot of hype with little science behind it and now I'm kind of wishing I stuck with my gut.

Clownshoes wrote:



If your smokes are stored in an environment which is less humid than optimal, they will absorb moisture until equilibrium is reached. So why would you store your cigars around antifreeze knowing full well that as your smokes dried out, the moisture would be replaced by said antifreeze?

](*,)
delta1
12 years ago
Try putting them in cedar cigar boxes and then put them away for a few months in the sanitized humidor.
tonygraz
12 years ago
Listen to heavy metal music when smoking them.
Clownshoes
12 years ago
I am proud to report that after checking my cigars into a Boveda rehabilitation facility for a few months they have fully recovered from their PG abuse.
dstieger
12 years ago
TMCTLT
12 years ago

=d>

dstieger wrote:




Indeed Dave 🍺
triodes
12 years ago
That's great, and while I haven't used PG in probably five years now, I never had a problem and have learned that there can be a problem with it.
delta1
12 years ago
I stopped too, after I got the lowdown here. Never had a problem, being so new to cigars then, but better safe than sorry.
tonygraz
12 years ago
I.ve used it very lightly, with no notable problems.
Users browsing this topic