fiddler898
12 years ago
When I light up a smoke, I'll often search out reviews of the cigar I'm smoking: I like to see what flavors/aspects others have found, what I could be looking for in the smoke, and comparing my impressions with others. Halfwheel, Cigar Inspector , Seth's Humidor & Puff often have some good insights. Any of you do the same?
Ilovetosmoke68
12 years ago
dharbolt
12 years ago
hmmmm. I have with baccy as I'm an uber pipe noob. never have with cigars, but I think it is going to start. i like your thinking
KingoftheCove
12 years ago
eugalde615
12 years ago
I do. I used to do so in the beginning before smoking. now, I won't look until at least half way through, if not all the way done. that way, I can form my own opinion first. I don't think I'm very good at picking out flavors, so I like to see if I can catch any before I have a predisposed notion of what i'm supposed to look for.
frankj1
12 years ago
sometimes yes, sometimes no. another good site for reviews is cigargeeks.com. not a competitor reference and some very nice guys belong.
KingoftheCove
12 years ago

sometimes yes, sometimes no. another good site for reviews is cigargeeks.com. not a competitor reference and some very nice guys belong.

frankj1 wrote:


+1
QMPASH
12 years ago
I don't believe there is an single cigar review out there that a cigar smoker can trust. CA is particularly suspicious because they only seem to "rate" cigars that advertise with them. Additionally raters seem to detect flavors in cigars that I cannot. Every cigar smoker has different tastes in cigars and what one smoker likes, another can't stand. You see that almost every day in these posts. Every now and then I buy a couple of cigars that have been highly rated and I have always been disappointed. Not one was worth the bread being asked for. I am also against the Cuban Embargo because it doesn't work and is stupid to boot. On the other hand, CA kisses the Cuban's asses so much it is embarrassing. 😳
shaun341
12 years ago
I do same thing fiddler. For the most part I am looking for a halfwheel review but the others work also and sometimes I will read all of them to see what their differences are in it. I can't pick out the small notes that come and go very quickly for the most part so I compare what the main notes are in the cigar with others.

I have yet to taste chocolate or cocoa in any cc and any kind of fruit notes are really hard for me to pick up as I haven't found them too often either.
fiddler898
12 years ago

I don't believe there is an single cigar review out there that a cigar smoker can trust. CA is particularly suspicious because they only seem to "rate" cigars that advertise with them. Additionally raters seem to detect flavors in cigars that I cannot. Every cigar smoker has different tastes in cigars and what one smoker likes, another can't stand. You see that almost every day in these posts. Every now and then I buy a couple of cigars that have been highly rated and I have always been disappointed. Not one was worth the bread being asked for. I am also against the Cuban Embargo because it doesn't work and is stupid to boot. On the other hand, CA kisses the Cuban's asses so much it is embarrassing. [-x

QMPASH wrote:



I don't know there is a SINGLE one I can trust, which is why I try to read a variety. I agree that CA isn't really helpful vis-a-vis reviews, because they "rate" more than they "review." My palate is not so developed as to dismiss others' tastes & observations just because I don't share them. And I do agree that each of us has different tastes & likes, but to me that's just another reason to pay attention to what others are finding. Do I have to agree with them? Of course not, but I'm not yet too old - not yet too old - not to be able to learn from others, FOGs as well as noods.

👻
Puffnstuff79
12 years ago
I did when I first started smoking cigars so I knew what I was sensing. Then now I do it if I find something hard to define or irregular to see how others described it. I'm with Dharbolt too on the pipe. I have smoked a countable amount of pipes and I am growing more confused by all the sensations. Cigar smoking to pipe smoking does not translate much at all.
Puffnstuff79
12 years ago

I don't know there is a SINGLE one I can trust, which is why I try to read a variety. I agree that CA isn't really helpful vis-a-vis reviews, because they "rate" more than they "review." My palate is not so developed as to dismiss others' tastes & observations just because I don't share them. And I do agree that each of us has different tastes & likes, but to me that's just another reason to pay attention to what others are finding. Do I have to agree with them? Of course not, but I'm not yet too old - not yet too old - not to be able to learn from others, FOGs as well as noods.

👻

fiddler898 wrote:



I find it interesting when people do group reviews. A 90, an 89, and a 92 is right up my alley when they are all smoking the same thing under the same conditions. I'm usually seeing an 88 and thinking 90 or seeing 91 and thinking 88. When I see the multiple reviews I hardly ever deviate from a point or two on the avg but certainly so on the single review. All this would be expected of course by research methodology but WTH!
Users browsing this topic