zody
  • zody
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
I have the ability to do so, so I store all of my cigars I buy by the box in their box in my humidor and run active humidifier. Takes longer to get the sticks in shape but offers an extra level of protection again RH going ape chit.
Also a level of segregation, brown out in 2001 cost me a ton of primo CCs, bassard bugs!

Just to see where preferences are, in or out. ( Fiver says there's at least one "Mine is an outie" )
mikey1597
12 years ago
In da box Bob.
FireRob
12 years ago
I prefer to keep mine in the box.

Let me ask about this brown out. How long were you without power? I thought a “brown out” was only supposed to last for minutes. A few minutes without power to your humidifier caused you to get beetles?
ZRX1200
12 years ago
Beetles are caused by higher temps not humidity.

If you have beetle concerns freeze your new arrivals.
zody
  • zody
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
I was using passive at the time. My humidor's were in the upper level of the house, the brown out lasted long enough to kill the AC and temps in the house shot up like a rocket, one of the hottest days in Cinci in a long time. Power kept browning then dying over and over.
Thought nothing of it, but when I was going for some CCs later I saw a beetle actually flying inside the humi. Seeing stick after stick with holes in them I took every stick out of the boxes and inspected them, removed the crawling bassard a I found then researched how to kill them and save my stock.
CCs are cultivated without the benefit of most pest control, too expensive in a poor country, so larvae on the leaf happens. Give enough sustained heat and runaway humidity and those little bassard come to life. For this very reason I keep them in their own separate humi from the rest of my collection.
Pitched the damaged sticks and opted for the deep freeze method to kill off any others from hatching. Wrapped the entire box in paper towels, then plastic and froze the boxes four days, then to the fridge and slowly let them come to room temp while still wrapped and insulated. No more beetle issues after that.
I went to active humidification then moved all of my collection to the basement to keep them cool in the event of a repeat where all my sticks have gone ever since.
Perfect conditions in that part of the world, 70 deg and 70%, there you can literally leave cigars stored in the open air. Humidor's are for the rest of us poor SOBs in the rest of the world.
zody
  • zody
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

Beetles are caused by higher temps not humidity.

If you have beetle concerns freeze your new arrivals.

ZRX1200 wrote:



Correct Z, but the combination of 100+ & the super high humidity together made for a quick infestation.
tonygraz
12 years ago
I like storing in the box, but it does take up a lot of room
danmdevries
12 years ago

I like storing in the box, but it does take up a lot of room

tonygraz wrote:



This.

If I ever grow my collection enough to buy a cooler, I think I'll keep em in the boxes. But for now, I'll keep the boxes on until they're about halfway and then the cigars come out if I need the space.

If I had a wineador or some other display cabinet, definitely boxes.
Buckwheat
12 years ago
In the box until there is only a handful of sticks left then in five or three finger bags (open) or loose in a singles tray.
SRH1
12 years ago
70/70 not optimum, especially for CC's.

65 degrees/62-64% humidity is my personal preference.

And yes, in the box until only a handful remaining, then bands added with box code for reference and into the humi. Primarily to relieve storage space issues in coolidors.
Mandoman
12 years ago
In the box makes me smile.
SRH1
12 years ago

In the box makes me smile.

Mandoman wrote:


Obviously.....but does it make her smile?
riverdog
12 years ago
If I had to pick one, it would HAVE to be in... although I prefer out and in and out and in and out and in and out and in...
Mandoman
12 years ago

Obviously.....but does it make her smile?

SRH1 wrote:


Of course.
Mandoman
12 years ago

If I had to pick one, it would HAVE to be in... although I prefer out and in and out and in and out and in and out and in...

riverdog wrote:


Astute observation. I let her do all that work.
What can I say? I like sex on my back - she says I'm always fu**kin' up.
tonygraz
12 years ago
You are supposed to call the doctor if that happens for 4 hours or more.
zody
  • zody
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

You are supposed to call the doctor if that happens for 4 hours or more.

tonygraz wrote:



Longer than 4hrs....some people would call that the JACKPOT.:^o
zody
  • zody
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
Man I was so wrong. I was expecting mines an outie and I get a direct plunge into sex. I'm so proud 🇨🇮
Mandoman
12 years ago

Longer than 4hrs....some people would call that the JACKPOT.:^o

zody wrote:


I'll stay away from jack's pot.
I prefer Jill's.
zody
  • zody
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
My man, swinging with the split and not the stick.
Users browsing this topic