charliebarr
11 years ago
Yea I'm just curious as to something I read on cuban cigars.If embargo is lifted ,brands such as rj,cohiba,etc which after embargo were trademarked in us....names stolen.I read if per se cohiba was to sell in us again they would be forced to change their name?I would assume you guys know alot on this subject just curious as to this situation.Also with the fda having the rulebook so to speak they could be made to go through alot of bs to get these cuban originals through testing etc.to the us?I'm just looking for insight I assume...thx
z6joker9
11 years ago
I don't think it will be a huge problem. Already (some) companies license their names to other companies to allow them to make cigars under their label. Not to mention, Altadis holds a lot of those brand names, and also owns a 50% stake in Habanos S.A.

General owns most of the other ones but General and Altadis have a pretty good relationship I believe. General is part of the conglomeration that owns CI/Cbid, and you see how much Altadis stuff passes through around here in samples and stuff at low prices.
Buckwheat
11 years ago
I believe this is one of the biggest hurdles that needs to be overcome once the embargo is lifted before Cuban Cigars can be sold in the US.

You can read about the fight over the Cohiba brand here.
http://rbskl.com/uncategorized/history-of-cubatabacos-fight-for-u-s-rights-to-the-cohiba-trademark/ 
Looks like Cubatabaco has the right to the Cohiba trademark in the US. At least according to the above link.

This article explains the situation as well.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-17/cuban-cigars-why-obama-s-new-policy-won-t-mean-a-new-flood-of-cohibas-from-havana.html 
I love the stock picture at the begging of this article. Where did they find those "toothy" sticks? [ram27bat]

As always, all of this will be tied up in the courts for years and will most likely make any cuban cigars sold after the embargo ends cost more. 🐴
charliebarr
11 years ago
If im not mistaken alot of cuban companies have been in court since the 80s over this to no avail...I did read about general but the article said that said cuban company....,cant remember who,was planning on such and such if brought to usa...We just wait and see I suppose.The main thing I see is cubans going way up in price..just an opinion but greed = government so ????
Mandoman
11 years ago

The main thing I see is cubans going way up in price..just an opinion but greed = government so ????

charliebarr wrote:


Figure the price to skyrocket up, demand will shoot up and supply will remain the same. Then the market will flood with inferior cigars to meet the demand. (Cuban boom?)
elRopo
11 years ago
^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^
charliebarr
11 years ago

Figure the price to skyrocket up, demand will shoot up and supply will remain the same. Then the market will flood with inferior cigars to meet the demand. (Cuban boom?)

Mandoman wrote:


Sad but is my feeling too.It will become same as opus sticks....so to speak....imo
mountainman
11 years ago
I second that. any time you try to over produce, quality goes way down. I hope that they keep it like a small batch or limited release and just keep the quality up.
charliebarr
11 years ago
Yes I talked to my buddy at this new shop that I found the opus,anejos etc at real retail about it today. Though probably yrs in the makings he seems to think it shall b ok....He seems very knowledgeable 20+yrs in retail and again his prices are great especially on the "rare"sticks so hopefully he is right with that.....
spectresquad
11 years ago
There will also be a flood of fake Cubans to the US.

If the embargo gets lifted going to the Havana Stores in Canada would probably be cheaper and more convenient than going to Cuba to purchase, and certainly safer than trusting unknowns. With that said, Once the limit on imported products is lifted I plan on sailing into Cuba and buying all I can, or fly in and bring back all I can. The prices here will skyrocket for a while, that will be a good short term investment, then the market will flatten out once people find that they can get really decent cigars elsewhere and it goes back to being all about the flavor.
🌫
charliebarr
11 years ago

There will also be a flood of fake Cubans to the US.

If the embargo gets lifted going to the Havana Stores in Canada would probably be cheaper and more convenient than going to Cuba to purchase, and certainly safer than trusting unknowns. With that said, Once the limit on imported products is lifted I plan on sailing into Cuba and buying all I can, or fly in and bring back all I can. The prices here will skyrocket for a while, that will be a good short term investment, then the market will flatten out once people find that they can get really decent cigars elsewhere and it goes back to being all about the flavor.
🌫

spectresquad wrote:


Totally agree...The honey hole,dare I say,store I just recently found that sells the opus and anejos.line at real real9_12$.,told me today to go through spain and some lil island.....I took from what he said they don't tax the.heck out of tobacco to finance healthcare,as canada etc...I am working on a cpl stores he knows to see if in fact this is as cheap as he is suggesting.He in fact will order ,small mark up im sure for me.....anyways..we shall c
charliebarr
11 years ago
Yes it does appear to b good deals had in spain ...not sure though I'm sure someone here would know...prices seem great. Free shipping to us
Users browsing this topic