SmokeMonkey
11 years ago
When I smoke something mild, typically with a Connecticut wrapper and with coffee in the morning, I seem to get a pronounced minty flavor I the last third. It seems to happen across brands and blends. Anyone else, or is it a strange simian phenomenon?
fenderbendertex
11 years ago
Had that happen with my first MOW Virtue, and I really enjoyed it, but haven't had it happen again. Thought it was nicotine until I tried the same blend and it didn't happen. Don't know what it was, but I liked it.
Mr Roso
11 years ago
What type of coffee do you drink? I only recall tasting this on one particular brand so far.
99cobra2881
11 years ago
I would get this too then I started washing my mouth out better after I brushed my teeth. Seemed to end the minty flavors I was getting in the morning.
SmokeMonkey
11 years ago
Far enough away from brushing so indoubt that was it - and I've had it happen at night.

CDM Chickory Coffee, milk and sugar - so no likely culprit there thatbi can discern.

It's not unpleasant, just odd.
Mithrandir
11 years ago

Far enough away from brushing so indoubt that was it - and I've had it happen at night.

CDM Chickory Coffee, milk and sugar - so no likely culprit there thatbi can discern.

It's not unpleasant, just odd.

SmokeMonkey wrote:



Well then.....it must be you#-o
SmokeMonkey
11 years ago
Seems that way. I must be a freak.
tamapatom
11 years ago

Seems that way. I must be a freak.

SmokeMonkey wrote:


Have you looked in a mirror? You are a monkey in a monkey suit. For a species prone to eating it's own feces, it could be something you ate many hours before.
cacman
11 years ago

Far enough away from brushing so indoubt that was it - and I've had it happen at night.

CDM Chickory Coffee, milk and sugar - so no likely culprit there thatbi can discern.

It's not unpleasant, just odd.

SmokeMonkey wrote:


That's not real coffee!!! It's the chickory that's contributing to those flavors.

Plus you don't add milk & sugar to real coffee unless you're at one of those hoity-toity yuppy beatnik coffee-houses.

Try real coffee - a nicely roasted bean that's fresh ground - black - no cream, no sugar, no chemical sweetner. Ditch the chickory.

Better yet, have an espresso.
tamapatom
11 years ago

That's not real coffee!!! It's the chickory that's contributing to those flavors.

Plus you don't add milk & sugar to real coffee unless you're at one of those hoity-toity yuppy beatnik coffee-houses.

Try real coffee - a nicely roasted bean that's fresh ground - black - no cream, no sugar, no chemical sweetner. Ditch the chickory.

Better yet, have an espresso.

cacman wrote:


Milk and sugar mixed with espresso is Cafe con Leche and is not a yuppie drink......cuban cofee........don't be so closed minded.
SmokeMonkey
11 years ago
I find it difficult to believe that chicory, kwoen for it's bitterness, is adding a minty flavor for anything. Coffee houses? I think ill stick to making it the way my people made it for a few centuries before had the luxury of electric coffee grinders in their home - 1/2 intensely brewed chicory coffee and 1/2 scalded (not steamed, never steamed milk). Butbhey, if mild coffee without flavoring works for you, that's your thing baby. Everyone has their thing.
99cobra2881
11 years ago
Don't worry about it. There are no right or wrong answers here. If it taste like mint and you pick up that subtlety and it tastes good roll with it. Next guy might not taste that, might taste something else that you don't but it doesn't matter.

Enjoy it for what it is, a leaf from a plant that can impart amazing flavors and make us taste all sorts of **** that isn't even there.
cacman
11 years ago

Milk and sugar mixed with espresso is Cafe con Leche and is not a yuppie drink......cuban cofee........don't be so closed minded.

tamapatom wrote:


Be opened minded and know what the heck you speak of. 🤦

Café con leche is a Spanish white coffee beverage. It is somewhat more similar to the Italian caffelatte than to the French café au lait. A latte, however, is made with espresso. In Spain, while café expreso is seen as the more "formal" denomination, café solo (alone, without milk) is the usual way to ask for it when at an espresso bar.

In short, milk & sugar with coffee or espresso is for girlies and yuppy beatnik types. And chickory is not coffee. It has been cultivated as a coffee substitute.
99cobra2881
11 years ago

Be opened minded and know what the heck you speak of. 🤦

Café con leche is a Spanish white coffee beverage. It is somewhat more similar to the Italian caffelatte than to the French café au lait. A latte, however, is made with espresso. In Spain, while café expreso is seen as the more "formal" denomination, café solo (alone, without milk) is the usual way to ask for it when at an espresso bar.

In short, milk & sugar with coffee or espresso is for girlies and yuppy beatnik types. And chickory is not coffee. It has been cultivated as a coffee substitute.

cacman wrote:




Nice, the wiki-fu is strong with this one. 🤦

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Café_con_leche 
cacman
11 years ago

Nice, the wiki-fu is strong with this one. 🤦

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Café_con_leche 

99cobra2881 wrote:


There are plenty of resources for info other than wiki. I used two other resources besides wiki. It was that easy to find the CORRECT info.

Phfffft!
99cobra2881
11 years ago
Haha,

After reading this yesterday I had to google cafe con leche and made some this morning for my wife and I for the first time. I usually drink my coffee black and we just had a breakfast blend light bean on hand. So I ground double the amount of beans to make the coffee very strong. Boiled the milk on the stove and added it to equal amount of coffee. I added sugar and a cinnamon garnish to hers to sweeten it some, drank mine with just milk and coffee.

This stuff is good, the boiled milk has a sweetness to it that it adds to and offsets the bitterness of the overstrong coffee. We are on our second pot of coffee and second pan of boiled milk. Cafe con leche for Sunday coffee in bed from now on. 🍵
SmokeMonkey
11 years ago
It's a good way to start the day, although we would call it cafe au lait, with the French influence. Same basic premise. Great way to start the day. And I was a bit grumpy last night, so sorry for that 🙂
99cobra2881
11 years ago
Haha a grumpy monkey eh?
tamapatom
11 years ago
I never actually made cafe con leche.... don't have to.... every cuban diner or sandwich shop in Tampa has it - so excuse the inaccurate description. I like stopping out for "cuban breakfast" which consists of cafe con leche and cuban toast (cuban bread sliced flat and toasted pressed with butter). The whole deal might set you back 3 bucks. It is hard to get real cuban bread outside Tampa (Miami, don't even think about it). Interesting that many Cuban traditions in Tampa were developed by Cubans who emigrated here over a 100 years ago to work in cigar factories. I don't even know if they have Cuban sandwiches (like we know them here) in Cuba.
Users browsing this topic