atccigar
10 years ago
But i am curious why torch vs not and why multiple vs single?
edin508
10 years ago
Easier to toast that foot and they work great outside even in the wind.
Torch, 3 or 4 multi FTW.
tank71663
10 years ago
I use a double to lite...

An a single to touch up or re lite...

But really...find out what U like an go with it...


Tank
NoisyTutor
10 years ago
I have seen people light them with a bic and it's a big no no.

You want something that will evenly toast and light the cigar without leaving behind anything that would affect the flavor, I.E. unburned gas exiting the Bic. An even light will help prevent running or an uneven burn right off the bat which can at time be hard to recover from.

Some people light with a strip of cedar to impart some additional aroma.
atccigar
10 years ago
So the multi flame is just more efficient at get the whole tip or most at once. There seems to be an elitist feel to using matches. Is that just a throw back to nostalgia or more to it? The cedar somewhat makes sense to me but clearly less convenient as you would have to have cedar and something to light it with
99cobra2881
10 years ago
Nothing toasts better than a stick match. My local gives away long matches that work very well to light a cigar. I use two, first one to toast the foot second one to light it completely.

Some just throw fire to it, good for them I do the same when I'm burning a pile of sticks in the yard. For a cigar, taking my time to slow down and light it is all part of why a cigar is so relaxing.

Matches have their time and place. When I'm golfing I carry two jetlites and when I'm elsewhere I carry a twin flame my wife bought for me.
hnixon12
10 years ago

But i am curious why torch vs not and why multiple vs single?

atccigar wrote:



New York Quad lighter...just buy it, you will see!
Buckwheat
10 years ago
I've used just about every method of lighting a cigar and I think the best bang for the bucks lighter is a zippo with a torch insert or a BIC style lighter. You can use aged wooden whatever, etc... and in the end it's the cigar that matters not how it is lit. YMMV 🌫
dstieger
10 years ago

I have seen people light them with a bic and it's a big no no.

You want something that will evenly toast and light the cigar without leaving behind anything that would affect the flavor, I.E. unburned gas exiting the Bic. An even light will help prevent running or an uneven burn right off the bat which can at time be hard to recover from.

Some people light with a strip of cedar to impart some additional aroma.

NoisyTutor wrote:



Huh?

Not my preferred method, but I've used a Bic hundreds (thousands?) of times and have NEVER tasted anything that I might consider having any odor or aroma. What is the difference in the fluid in a bic and the fluid in a torch...other than pressure?

The reason that I (and most, I believe) use cedar splints is not for the aroma of the cedar! I like the way my cigars taste...I'm not so presumptuous as to think that I can improve upon what Pete, Matt, Arturo, Carlos, Jon, Dion and others have blended by adding a cedar flame.

A bic, or a match or a splint will all give you a softer flame and is far less likely to scorch/burn the foot than a torch. That will affect the taste. Obviously, you need to burn the tobacco, but if you have the patience to light it much slower with a softer flame...AND light it EVENLY, you're going to have a better cigar experience. For three reasons off the top of my head: even burn; more attention and concentration on the effort/cigar; better initial taste. That first is key -- slower, careful lighting is likely to give you a much better burn for the first inch or two of your cigar.

The drawback to the soft flame methods is wind....and time/patience. It is time consuming and it doesn't work well in even a light breeze. Thus, many of us use a torch. You can get a gentle, even light with a torch, but it does take a bit of practice for some of us.
cacman
10 years ago
Bic all day long. Only cost a buck. And if you lose it, it only cost a buck.

Torches don't last more than a week here. Think it has to do with the altitude.
atccigar
10 years ago
dstieger. Nice explanation. I do appreciate it and for what it is worth makes sense to me. On the torch then you would just hold it a little further away?

Cacman. What do you mean they don't last? Run out of fuel or quit working all together?
cacman
10 years ago

Cacman. What do you mean they don't last? Run out of fuel or quit working all together?

atccigar wrote:


Quit working completely. Even a Ronson Z sent quit after a half-dozen uses. I have no faith in torch lighters.
Plus I don't want to carry 2 different lighters, torch for the cigar and soft-flame for the pipe. Can't use a torch in a pipe.
dstieger
10 years ago

dstieger. Nice explanation. I do appreciate it and for what it is worth makes sense to me. On the torch then you would just hold it a little further away?

atccigar wrote:



As a general rule, keep the flame just out of reach of the foot. Rotate the foot; or at least move it around to keep the light even. Some old-schoolers will tell you that you should never inhale when lighting: keep the cigar out of your mouth and rotate it just out of reach of the flame - blow on the foot once it just starts to get red across the entire foot. ....not the way I generally do it, but if I'm reviewing or particularly into that particular cigar experience, I do.
NoisyTutor
10 years ago

Huh?

Not my preferred method, but I've used a Bic hundreds (thousands?) of times and have NEVER tasted anything that I might consider having any odor or aroma. What is the difference in the fluid in a bic and the fluid in a torch...other than pressure?

The reason that I (and most, I believe) use cedar splints is not for the aroma of the cedar! I like the way my cigars taste...I'm not so presumptuous as to think that I can improve upon what Pete, Matt, Arturo, Carlos, Jon, Dion and others have blended by adding a cedar flame.

A bic, or a match or a splint will all give you a softer flame and is far less likely to scorch/burn the foot than a torch. That will affect the taste. Obviously, you need to burn the tobacco, but if you have the patience to light it much slower with a softer flame...AND light it EVENLY, you're going to have a better cigar experience. For three reasons off the top of my head: even burn; more attention and concentration on the effort/cigar; better initial taste. That first is key -- slower, careful lighting is likely to give you a much better burn for the first inch or two of your cigar.

The drawback to the soft flame methods is wind....and time/patience. It is time consuming and it doesn't work well in even a light breeze. Thus, many of us use a torch. You can get a gentle, even light with a torch, but it does take a bit of practice for some of us.

dstieger wrote:



Well to clarify a touch when I said enhance the aroma with cedar I wasn't referring to the flavor that the guys you listed have created. Literally some people like to smell the aroma of the cedar before they light or smoke the stogie, it doesn't change the flavor itself but can help you to draw different tasting notes from the cigar like different foods or smells can enhance a wine tasting.

Getting an even burn with a BIC can be a challenge, almost impossible. The gas escaping is something I read on a blog about the proper way to light, not fact but opinion only.
cacman
10 years ago

Getting an even burn with a BIC can be a challenge, almost impossible.

NoisyTutor wrote:


Maybe cause you're not doing it right.
I've never had a problem getting an even burn with a cigar that's stored properly.
NoisyTutor
10 years ago

Maybe cause you're not doing it right.
I've never had a problem getting an even burn with a cigar that's stored properly.

cacman wrote:




it's possible, not much practice with a bic but I prefer my Xikar or a good ol match.
dstieger
10 years ago
I can't find the shovel smiley
cameroon
10 years ago
Hey guize! Should I leave the cellophane on my cigars, or take it off?
atccigar
10 years ago
Now i gotta find a lighter. Woohoo. The search is on
atccigar
10 years ago
Now i gotta find a lighter. Woohoo. The search is on
Users browsing this topic