dstieger
9 years ago
A LOT of fascination with the homeless on here....has me wondering....

Do you give panhandlers anything? Pocket change? A buck? Bottle of water? Advice?

I used to just yell 'Get a job', but I'm older, kinder and gentler nowadays...now, I just pretend I don't see them standing there on the median at the stop light.

On the other hand, my wife, gentle soul that she is, has ALWAYS given them a buck or two....or more likely lately a couple granola bars and a bottle of Gatorade.

Yesterday, we drove past one of the regular spots where she always gives something....and the most recent beggar had left....but left without taking the drinks and food that had been offered....there was a small pile of unopened water, gatorade, jerky, etc. there on the median. My wife was pissed and now realizes (assumes) that the dirty beggar just took the cash for meth and didn't even bother to take the food/drinks, despite the ever-present cardboard sign that urges pity for their hungry children.

I told my wife, that the person probably just went to take a leak, but she's not buying it....probably done giving away my hard-earned nickles, too.

So....what do you give the guy/gal with their hand out as you pass?
victor809
9 years ago
A swift kick in the ass.
dharbolt
9 years ago
There are a group here in Columbus that roll in from out of town in a15 passenger van and post up at freeway exits. It's organized and I bet they make a bit of money. I never give them anything I used to offer food but had a similar experience. No more from me.
Just Relax
9 years ago
I never gave money but back in the day used to always make an extra sandwich and pack an extra water for the guy that stood at the intersection on my way to work. One day he finally told me hey man I don't need a sandwich I want cash. I haven't gave to one since.

They've done articles about most of these guys having a pretty decent life but do pick up quite a bit of additional income standing there collecting at the street. Most don't actually need the handout. If you really want to help donate directly to homeless shelters or food banks. Most of who these places help are actually in need.

I have instead decided that donating my time distributing food at the mobile food pantry when it comes to my community is the best way to help.


victor809
9 years ago
My old apartment in the tenderloin had a few per block. Most cracked or methed out of their skulls.

You simply wouldn't believe what I've seen them doing on the streets. As far as I'm concerned when you've lost that much brain function you belong I'm a zoo.
jackconrad
9 years ago
unfortunately 8 outta 10 are fake..
teedubbya
9 years ago
My church put together a bunch of zip lock bags filled with travel size tooth paste, shampoo etc and a granola bar or two and a list of resources available to them. I just keep a couple in my car and will occasionally hand one to them. You find out really quickly who is really homeless or needy and who isn't.
DrafterX
9 years ago
There aren't any homeless/ panhandlers round here... 😟
Mr. Jones
9 years ago
Well, here's a GREAT STORY...

IN THE BEGINNING...
OF A GANGSTALKING NIGHTMARE...
THE FBI-SSG COWARD FELONS use any and all techniques , clothing, cars - vans- utility trucks....
A.N.D.
"Fake HOMELESS *****ERS" at intersections where
The advance team knows you'll be going...

I handed a fake HOMELESS SSG PRICK A HANDFULL OF ALL CANADIAN CHANGE AND TOLD HIM TO SAY HI TO "PAPA SMURF"( SSG FIELD CHIEF ..GARY O'CONNER, GARY RADDICHEK, GARY RAPPCHECK, & 6 other alias's he goes by) FOR ME....
The " HOMELESS" guy was LIVID!!
He actually turned BEET RED AND PROCEEDED
to yank out his "APPLE I-PHONE" and called
GARY : "the supreme leader SOCIOPATHIC fat earringed MORON"....DIRECTLY...

I DROVE AWAY LAUGHING MY ASS OFF...

HOMELESS PEOPLE ARE NOT ALWAYS HOMELESS
PEOPLE.
SanAnOfficer
9 years ago
Sh*t Sandwich
victor809
9 years ago
Hehe... someone has a clever new handle.
ZRX1200
9 years ago
I give them oregano and tell them I'm a grower, then I say "namaste"
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
I usually try to give them a buck or two or whatever change I have in the car. My thought is who am I to judge how they are going to use it. For all I know they could be struggling to feed their kids. Plus, a couple bucks isn't going to break me in any way, so why not help out another human being.

In some ways, I can see how they don't want to get food or whatever considering they may be there to be able to afford to keep their house, pay other bills, or put legitimate food on the table for their families. Random food dropped off most likely wouldn't be good to help them out.

Just my thoughts.
teedubbya
9 years ago
^ also encourages more pan handling.
JGKAMIN
9 years ago
F$&@ed up thing is when you get the 'panhandler' holding a sign saying something like I ain't lying, just need $$ for weed/booze"....and people will think it's hilarious and give him even more money after they snap a picture of the sign.
tailgater
9 years ago

We'd rather have a homeless dude starve to death than be fooled into giving a buck to a con artist.

Momma didn't raise no fool.

ZRX1200
9 years ago
Am I the only one who has handed out monopoly $?
rfenst
9 years ago

Why not give the benefit of doubt for less than a buck (bottled water, small lunch bag of doritos, etc.) and let God sort it out in the end?
MACS
9 years ago
Sometimes nothing... sometimes a buck or two... once in a while a $5.

8trackdisco
9 years ago
Gave a guy a buck, because he needed to take the bus to a job interview. He skipped the bus and brought it over to two other of his friends and I could see them laughing.

I admittedly lost my chit, crossed street, and took my dollar back.

I'm done with them.

I'll drop off a bag of rice every once in a while to help out.
Users browsing this topic