Luke753
9 years ago
Long long ago, roughly 25 years, I bought a pipe and decided to give it a try. No experience, no mentoring or direction. Hated it. But kept the pipe. Now that I've gotten into cigars, I thought I'd get it out and give it a try, this time with a little more knowledge. Found my pipe, it has the name Cambiati on it. I know I paid a decent amount for it, but that's about all I know. I ask one of the guys at the Cigar shop about something to try. He's been really good at Cigar suggestions so far. So I got some McClelland 27... not working for me. Anyone familiar with it? If anyone might like it, I'd be happy to send it to ya. Just let me know. I'd also be willing to take suggestions to try. Thanks.
Hmhaines
9 years ago
You're speakin' my language! I'll post a link for you in just a second.
Hmhaines
9 years ago
You'll find here a selection of tobacco suggestestions as well as a link to the somewhat in-depth tutorial I wrote for beginner pipe smokers:

http://www.cigarbid.com/Forum/c/posts/652142/Pipes-and-Cigars 

Easy first suggestion in case you don't feel like clicking through: McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro. Dry it well before smoking.


And if that No. 27 is still around, I'd be happy to snag it off you. Haven't had a chance to try the stuff yet! I seem to recall that it is a bright Virginia, which I find isn't always an excellent tobacco for cigar guys. May not be my style but I'm eager to try as many McClelland blends as I can. Their Virginias are very, very good.
chazbo
9 years ago
Luke, pm me your addy any I can send you a few to sample.
Chazbo
Bur
  • Bur
  • Herf-A-Holic
9 years ago

Luke, pm me your addy any I can send you a few to sample.
Chazbo

chazbo wrote:



Yeah, that's gonna end well.

Just go buy a new mailbox now.

But it is the best way to find pipe baccy that works for you.
Hmhaines
9 years ago

Yeah, that's gonna end well.

Just go buy a new mailbox now.

But it is the best way to find pipe baccy that works for you.

Bur wrote:




Indeed. I'm still not done tasting all the extra samples that Jules sent me when we traded in August.
qmech
9 years ago
How did this turn out?
Q
tonygraz
9 years ago
? Hmhaines hasn't been heard from in a while.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
I feel like I need to try pipes again. I feel like all the tobacco I had in them were crap. I love the idea of smoking a pipe but just have had bad experiences thus far. Gonna have to find a decent cheap pipe and read through the above link for tobacco suggestions.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago

? Hmhaines hasn't been heard from in a while.

tonygraz wrote:



Yeah, haven't seen him around in quite a while. Bombed him about a month ago and sent him a PM to see if he got it...and nothing...
dharbolt
9 years ago
Harvey disappeared after he moved. It happens. You need baccy huh? 🙂
elRopo
9 years ago

I feel like I need to try pipes again. I feel like all the tobacco I had in them were crap. I love the idea of smoking a pipe but just have had bad experiences thus far. Gonna have to find a decent cheap pipe and read through the above link for tobacco suggestions.

Hank_The_Tank wrote:


A loooooong time ago, I mean like 50 years, I was a pipe smoker. Favorite baccy was straight Turkish Latikia. Tasted great but smelled like chit.
elRopo
9 years ago

I feel like I need to try pipes again. I feel like all the tobacco I had in them were crap. I love the idea of smoking a pipe but just have had bad experiences thus far. Gonna have to find a decent cheap pipe and read through the above link for tobacco suggestions.

Hank_The_Tank wrote:


BTW You'll need more than one pipe. One for each day of the week minimum so you can rest them between smokes.
SteveS
9 years ago


I feel like I need to try pipes again.
I feel like all the tobacco I had in them were crap.
I love the idea of smoking a pipe but just have had bad experiences thus far.
Gonna have to find a decent cheap pipe ...

Hank_The_Tank wrote:



EXACTLY my situation some years ago ...
.
What I learned along the way is that drugstore pipe tobacco is like drugstore cigars ... crap ... and until you get a quality pipe with quality tobacco in it, all you're ever gonna have is bad experiences ...
.
By and large, there is no 'decent cheap pipe' ... quality comes at a price ... don't get me wrong, you don't have to spend big $$ ... there is an amazing "estate pipe" world out there where quality pipes are available at a relatively inexpensive price, but by and large, those pipes have been smoked by a previous owner ... there ARE unsmoked pipes out there, but they're vastly outnumbered ... you can become rather adept at restoration yourself and there are professional pipe restorers who'll do the job for you (at a price, of course) ...
.
There's quite a bit of trial and error involved, but with a little guidance from those of us who've gone through the process, a great deal of the 'error' can be avoided ...

Whistlebritches
9 years ago


.
By and large, there is no 'decent cheap pipe' ... quality comes at a price ... don't get me wrong, you don't have to spend big $$ ... there is an amazing "estate pipe" world out there where quality pipes are available at a relatively inexpensive price, but by and large, those pipes have been smoked by a previous owner ... there ARE unsmoked pipes out there, but they're vastly outnumbered ... you can become rather adept at restoration yourself and there are professional pipe restorers who'll do the job for you (at a price, of course) ...


SteveS wrote:



BULLPUCKEY.........I have $200 pipes that rest on the mantel and just look pretty.I have over two dozen cobs,all under $10 that get smoked quite regularly.Once you grab a cob,slap in a Forever Stem.........briar is a thing of the past.Nothing in my humble opinion smokes better than a cob.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago

BTW You'll need more than one pipe. One for each day of the week minimum so you can rest them between smokes.

elRopo wrote:



I probably wouldn't smoke it more than once a week, so I think one is plenty. Any resources that I can use to buy a decent pipe without breaking the bank?
chazbo
9 years ago

I probably wouldn't smoke it more than once a week, so I think one is plenty. Any resources that I can use to buy a decent pipe without breaking the bank?

Hank_The_Tank wrote:


Go to pipes and cigars. A corn cob pipe can't be beat🇨🇮
SteveS
9 years ago

... grab a cob,slap in a Forever Stem ,,,Nothing in my humble opinion smokes better than a cob.

Whistlebritches wrote:



Actually, that's quite true ... I'd overlooked that thought ... one of my favorites in my rotation is a Country Gentleman Missouri Meershaum with a forever stem ...
dharbolt
9 years ago

I probably wouldn't smoke it more than once a week, so I think one is plenty. Any resources that I can use to buy a decent pipe without breaking the bank?

Hank_The_Tank wrote:



Listen to whistlebritches. He's right cobs smoke great and are cheap.
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

Actually, that's quite true ... I'd overlooked that thought ... one of my favorites in my rotation is a Country Gentleman Missouri Meershaum with a forever stem ...

SteveS wrote:



Now you're talking........you just listed my favorite pipe,CG with a Forever Stem.I have about a dozen CG's that share maybe 4 or 5 Forever Stems.

Think I'll load a bowl
Users browsing this topic