Whistlebritches
9 years ago
I filled my last 3 whitetail tags today,2 does and a spike(Jan 2 through the 15th is our annual doe and spike season).One doe skinned and deboned tonite..........the other two wifey and I will knock out tomorrow.Vaccum sealing all steaks,roast and stew meat tomorrow.However I am looking for volunteers next Saturday(the 14th)........wifey and I are gonna grind and bag approx 100 LB's of venison,pork butt,bacon and brisket.......breakfast sausage,Italian sausage,hamburger and chili meat.LMK

BTW finally relaxing with some W.L.Weller Special Reserve and a La Palina Mr Sam(thanks Jamie......excellent smoke).
DrafterX
9 years ago
ZRX1200
9 years ago
Gene363
Mr. Jones
9 years ago
CRIME-MAN-NEEEEE

Good for you Whistle...

Sounds like your a pretty good butcher too?
How do you prepare the tenderloins?
Don't FREEZE them If you can eat them in the first
Week.

I've hunted since I was 12 and I've only
Shot two bucks and ZERO doe's....
Our camp didn't allow doe tags...

I went deer hunting this year....
Admittedly ...very half heartedly because I didn't
Want To get shot "mistakenly"
by an FBI-SSG COWARD AGENT LAWDOG
faking like he was a deer hunter...
IF ANYONE "SCOPES" ME NOW....
AFTER MY LAST FOUR YEARS...
I WILL "Duck and Move" ...then scope them cocked with the safety OFF.
Mattie B
9 years ago
I'm happy to help skin and debone, but I've never done the processing.
I guess you could call it lazy or convenient, but I take mine to the processor. Typically I pay around $100 per deer. That is deboned price.

I do mostly smoked sausage, tenderized steaks, stew meat and burger.

Ocho has taken a doe and a nice 8pt and I shot a doe early in the season. We are all set with our meat needs.


Who was the guy that told me you can't get the inside loins without gutting a deer? I need to find that thread.
teedubbya
9 years ago
I think he said you can't see your loins because if your gut, dear.
Mattie B
9 years ago
Well that's where the foul happened.....

Only TW gets to call me dear.
Puddin is also off limits to everyone except TW


I hope that you were outraged over his pet names for me!!!!!!
ZRX1200
9 years ago
Whatever Red Squirrel.
Mattie B
9 years ago
^^^
Doesn't it suck when you feel the need to say something, but can't think of anything worth saying?
teedubbya
9 years ago
thanks poopkins
dharbolt
9 years ago
Nice whistle. I got one tag left. Need to fill it this week...
Whistlebritches
9 years ago
Just finished deboning.........only 52 LB's of grinding meat.Wifey went crazy with more roast,steak and steak fingers.............24 LB's.Oh well we'll still be able to make plenty of burger,Italian sausage and breakfast sausage,hell if I run low I'll grind her roast.

I have learned one thing.......killing,field dressing,skinning,quartering and deboning 3 deer in less than a 24 hour period is exhausting.....even with the help of wifey who is an excellent butcher.Setting my limit at two per weekend next year.

Mattie I used to drop my deer at the processor,they make excellent Bohemian and summer sausage.That processor is 35 miles east of me.The other processor is 40 miles north.......and they are awful.Both have jacked their prices to the point I'd rather do it myself.I can't yet do the ring sausages or summer sausage but I'll get to that.The deer I dropped their two years ago was a nice fat close to 200 lb on the hoof 8 point.I paid $50 just to drop it and have it skinned,when I picked it up my weight was light and all I had done was bohemian sausage,burger,steaks and roast.I dropped another $175 at pick up.......wish I could remember my final weight.Anyway it worked out to damn near $4 a pound.
Burner02
9 years ago
Just had 10 slick heads leave the feeder in the back yard.


Ron, you going to grill some of those tenderloin, crème cheese, jalapeno and bacon thingies?
Mattie B
9 years ago
$50 seems high for a skinning. Most guys around here will do it for an additional $25 or so. There have been times when I thought about using the service. Late for dinner or a date with the wife.

I do believe 3 deer would be exhausting. The most I've done is 2 and I was ready for a chair when I was done.

Good luck. Hope it all turns out great.
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

Just had 10 slick heads leave the feeder in the back yard.


Ron, you going to grill some of those tenderloin, crème cheese, jalapeno and bacon thingies?

Burner02 wrote:



You betcha
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

$50 seems high for a skinning. Most guys around here will do it for an additional $25 or so. There have been times when I thought about using the service. Late for dinner or a date with the wife.

I do believe 3 deer would be exhausting. The most I've done is 2 and I was ready for a chair when I was done.

Good luck. Hope it all turns out great.

Mattie B wrote:



Even if I skinned and quartered before I dropped the deer the fees seem quite high.Besides that I am starting to enjoy the process.Plenty of cool months left for some wild hog........which we have plenty of.Think I may order some sausage casings and different sausage blends to experiment with.Wild hog is better than venison in my opinion.....almost impossible to screw up.
DrafterX
9 years ago
Was in Lawton a couple weeks ago. . Trying to think of a reason to go back... 😟
frankj1
9 years ago

Was in Lawton a couple weeks ago. . Trying to think of a reason to go back... 😟

DrafterX wrote:


I heard Ron likes the "sausage" there.
That work for ya?
Mattie B
9 years ago
I agree with you Ron

I much prefer patty sausage from pork. I've never had the deer taste right.


Thankfully we don't have hogs on our place yet. I say yet, because I know they are coming.
Users browsing this topic