Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2017/Japanese-whisky-has-become-a-hit-around-the-world-winning-awards-that-have-made-it-one-of-the-world-s-top-whisky-brands-joining-Scotch-Bourbon-Irish-and-Canadian/id-ba0c20d1ab0d42c1839c100d8108b91a 

Anyone ever try Japanese Whisky? Is it as good as this article makes it out to be? If you have, where can you get it and what insane price do you have to pay for it.

Truthfully, don't even know if you can get it in the US, but this article sparked my interest.
dstieger
9 years ago
Been quite a few years, but yeah...was good even back then. Quite a few of us cbidders have lived in Japan...a few still do...though I'm not sure any active on the forum now.

One thing about the Japanese...they don't do many things half-azzed. If they want to make good whiskey...they'll make good whiskey....


"For relaxing times, make it Suntory time."
teedubbya
9 years ago
I've had a few. I like them. They own many of the scotch distilleries too.

My dad's favorite whisky is Hibiki.
elRopo
9 years ago
Godzirah likee!
99cobra2881
9 years ago
Jim Beam

Haven't bought any since they sold out.

I heard it's the ****ushima water that makes the Japanese whiskeys so good.

Edit lol it edits **** u out of ****ushima haha
DCLover
9 years ago
Only one I've had is the Yamazaki. It was pretty good. One of my most memorable pairings with an ancient (pre-2nd band) Padron anni from PPP. 🌫

https://www.cigarbid.com/Forum/c/posts/390315/Booze-Bombed-into-oBlivion 
Palama
9 years ago
Have a Yamazaki 12 and it is good; however, I'm not much of a Scotch drinker so our son (...who gave me the bottle...) has probably drank more of it than me. 🤦
patrickh44231
9 years ago
Hibiki 12 is a really good goto
NIKKA TAKETSURU 17 is a fantastic top shelf
Ohishi Whisky Single Sherry Cask is very sweet/fruity/Very unique
And... hibiki 21. It's obsurdly good. And just as expensive.
Mr.magoo2
9 years ago
Yes, its quite good. Yamazaki 12, 18 and hibikI are the only ones I've tried...and if you like scotch I'd give em' a try.
qmech
9 years ago
ddragggon
9 years ago
I recently picked up a bottle of Hibiki, but haven't found a good enough excuse to break it out yet... When sampling new things, I like to start out sober, after a good meal, with friends, and a warm enough temperature outside I can pick a stogie to pair up with it once I get to sipping.
teedubbya
9 years ago
The hibiki 12 is getting harder to find. I think is being phased out somewhat with the harmony.
namadio
9 years ago
I sampled a few between a trip to japan and a master of malt world whiskey advent calendar.

I'm not a fan. The NAS editions I tried were meh. The age stated ones were less meh but pretty damned expensive and Beam Suntory just skyrocketed the prices on thier brands age stated expressions.

If you want to sample a bunch of stuff, Master of Malt kicks ass but the shipping is alot so make it a worthwhile purchase. 2 700ml bottles of high end scotch on their are cheaper even with the shipping most time than buying in the states. Need to buy 2 to spread out the shipping costs but you pay duties on 3+ bottles so the value isn't back until 6+ bottles at a time.

PS. I don' tlike malt whiskey in general much. I have a few sherried scotches that I go to when I need a change of pace. YMMV
jjanecka
9 years ago
Not a fan of Jap whiskey they almost always have a really **** bite up front from poor fermentation. The bottles of yamazaki from about 10-15 years ago did not have this but the new ones do and it's clear to me that this has to have been a quality issue.

I am a fan of the Suntory Old Reserve. It's about $150 a bottle but you can sometimes find it at the duty free for $60. Especially in Korea.
Users browsing this topic