Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
Can someone explain to me the draw to country music? I just don't get it. I like all sorts of different styles of music, including modern folk, but country...it is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Seems like every other person likes that junk...maybe I have defective ears.

Can't stand the twangy sound of the music and singing. There is a few really modern country songs I can tolerate but that is mostly because the singing isn't very twangy at all.

The worst is when people from up north sing it and use a fake twangy singing voice...come on people.

Plus, almost all of the songs are about the same things...trucks, drinking crappy beer/getting drunk, dogs, front porches, cheating on spouses. People say that rap music is bad because of what they talk about but country is just as bad, they just talk about the same stuff in a different genre of music (plus I am sure it is a racist thing).

I have so many friends that think I am nuts for not liking it. I think the same about them for liking it.

I almost wished I liked it so I could be in the "cool country music kids club" HaHa (not really)

If you are a country music lover...I'm sorry you have poor taste in music.

Rant over.
DrafterX
9 years ago
What about Western..?? 😕
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago

What about Western..?? 😕

DrafterX wrote:



Western what?
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

Can someone explain to me the draw to country music? I just don't get it. I like all sorts of different styles of music, including modern folk, but country...it is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Seems like every other person likes that junk...maybe I have defective ears.

Can't stand the twangy sound of the music and singing. There is a few really modern country songs I can tolerate but that is mostly because the singing isn't very twangy at all.

The worst is when people from up north sing it and use a fake twangy singing voice...come on people.

Plus, almost all of the songs are about the same things...trucks, drinking crappy beer/getting drunk, dogs, front porches, cheating on spouses. People say that rap music is bad because of what they talk about but country is just as bad, they just talk about the same stuff in a different genre of music (plus I am sure it is a racist thing).

I have so many friends that think I am nuts for not liking it. I think the same about them for liking it.

I almost wished I liked it so I could be in the "cool country music kids club" HaHa (not really)

If you are a country music lover...I'm sorry you have poor taste in music.

Rant over.

Hank_The_Tank wrote:




No, you have a very pigeon-holed myopic small minded view on what "Music" is.


Sunday Morning Coming Down


Outlaw $hit


Your Cheating Heart


All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down


Fast As You


a primer on "Country" and if you still think that it's so damned easy to play that music...you'd be very interested to know that in that realm, only the BEST move forward. By the time the artists get signed...they're already head and shoulders above their Rock contemporaries as far as knowing more than one instrument, reading music, performing live and music production. There's a reason why Nashville is alive and well and will NEVER die. There's always a good crop coming up and you have to be willing to listen. You sound like you want to live on an island or only want vanilla ice cream. Whatever. I cannot and will not be stymied with one band, one genre or beg to define one as the TRUE and ONLY. It takes skill and mastery to make a hit song. It's the ones that endure for decades that you should pay attention to. I missed a slew of them with my choices, but once again...if you still fail to hear something that inspires then you should never comment on Music again, you come across as stunted and unwilling to take your preconceived blinders off and enjoy.
elRopo
9 years ago
There's no hope for you Hank.

Never heard of ZZ Top

Don't like country

Hell, I'll bet even your feet stink and ya don't love Jesus!
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago

No, you have a very pigeon-holed myopic small minded view on what "Music" is.


Sunday Morning Coming Down


Outlaw $hit


Your Cheating Heart


All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down


Fast As You


a primer on "Country" and if you still think that it's so damned easy to play that music...you'd be very interested to know that in that realm, only the BEST move forward. By the time the artists get signed...they're already head and shoulders above their Rock contemporaries as far as knowing more than one instrument, reading music, performing live and music production. There's a reason why Nashville is alive and well and will NEVER die. There's always a good crop coming up and you have to be willing to listen. You sound like you want to live on an island or only want vanilla ice cream. Whatever. I cannot and will not be stymied with one band, one genre or beg to define one as the TRUE and ONLY. It takes skill and mastery to make a hit song. It's the ones that endure for decades that you should pay attention to. I missed a slew of them with my choices, but once again...if you still fail to hear something that inspires then you should never comment on Music again, you come across as stunted and unwilling to take your preconceived blinders off and enjoy.

DrMaddVibe wrote:



You have got me all wrong...I am not saying they aren't talented, they are obviously talented, that is not in question. It is all about the sound of the music. Just can't stand it. My wife and friends force me to listen to it all the time and I can count on one hand the songs I like in this genre.

Like I said, I like a wide array of music...pretty much everything other than country and polka (literally). From classical, to modern folk, to melodic rock, to hip hop, to EDM, to rock, to hard rock, to metal.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago

There's no hope for you Hank.

Never heard of ZZ Top

Don't like country

Hell, I'll bet even your feet stink and ya don't love Jesus!

elRopo wrote:



I have heard of ZZ Top, just don't know any of their songs off the top of my head. My comment on that thread was supposed to be somewhat sarcastic.

By the way, my feet stink and I love Jesus....but I can say that my crap doesn't stink....

🇨🇮
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

You have got me all wrong...I am not saying they aren't talented, they are obviously talented, that is not in question. It is all about the sound of the music. Just can't stand it. My wife and friends force me to listen to it all the time and I can count on one hand the songs I like in this genre.

Like I said, I like a wide array of music...pretty much everything other than country and polka (literally). From classical, to modern folk, to melodic rock, to hip hop, to EDM, to rock, to hard rock, to metal.

Hank_The_Tank wrote:




You asked what was the draw. I told you and showed you examples.

Then why post such an ignorant post like the OP?

It's small minded.

You should be open to new things and experiences, you might like them. To stand on your soapbox and blurt out the OP? Naw, you have a one-way road building in your mind and are asking for validation that I cannot give.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago

Then why post such an ignorant post like the OP?

It's small minded.

You should be open to new things and experiences, you might like them. To stand on your soapbox and blurt out the OP? Naw, you have a one-way road building in your mind and are asking for validation that I cannot give.

DrMaddVibe wrote:



Not ignorant or small minded, just my opinion...I just don't understand how people like it. I have tried to be open minded about country music...like I said, I have listened to a ton of it (mostly forced on me) and still can't understand why people like it. I don't actually think less of people that like it, to each their own. The OP was supposed to be a little funny/sarcastic.

PSA: This thread is not intended to offend anyone. If you are offended, I bet you got a trophy for being in last place.



🌫

[sarcasm]

o:)
jjanecka
9 years ago
Frank Beard lives behind my subdivision and those ZZ Top fella's play some damn fine Texas music.

I'll give it to you, I hate Nashville and all the "Hellraisin'" country music they're putting out and how every song sounds like a retarded mix of rap and banjos oh and the infamous R R R R R R R RED RED RED RED REDNECK ultra stutter song that makes me sick to my stomach. It's nothing but crappy southern rock.

Despite the musical talent, these folks are **** lyricists at best and pale in comparison to the days of outlaw country and Southern Gentleman like Cash, Nelson, et al.

Get you some Texas country or some Bluegrass, Hell, even some Texas Big Band Polka or Cajun music and you might like it better.

Also Hank, quit being a "please don't be offended" guy. Stand your ground! You're a man!
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

Frank Beard lives behind my subdivision and those ZZ Top fella's play some damn fine Texas music.

I'll give it to you, I hate Nashville and all the "Hellraisin'" country music they're putting out and how every song sounds like a retarded mix of rap and banjos oh and the infamous R R R R R R R RED RED RED RED REDNECK ultra stutter song that makes me sick to my stomach. It's nothing but crappy southern rock.

Despite the musical talent, these folks are **** lyricists at best and pale in comparison to the days of outlaw country and Southern Gentleman like Cash, Nelson, et al.

Get you some Texas country or some Bluegrass, Hell, even some Texas Big Band Polka or Cajun music and you might like it better.

jjanecka wrote:




I'll concede that most of the "new" Country is terrible...but you have to dig.


Cody Jinks



The Dead South


Justin Cross


POWERFUL lyrics and music in all and I'm willing to bet that you've NEVER heard of them.
JadeRose
9 years ago
I like old school Country and the outlaw stuff. Most of the new mainstream "country" is garbage......to me. So guess what? I don't listen to it. Easy peasy.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider good music? Be prepared to be abused for your answer
JadeRose
9 years ago

I'll concede that most of the "new" Country is terrible...but you have to dig.


Cody Jinks



The Dead South


Justin Cross


POWERFUL lyrics and music in all and I'm willing to bet that you've NEVER heard of them.

DrMaddVibe wrote:






I heard one the other day that I liked.....band called Houndmouth out of Southern Indiana. Liked them quite a bit....

sd72
9 years ago
Country music sucks. IDGAF if you can play 9 instruments and fart play the harmonica at once. It's horrible contrived bullsh@t suicide music. The artists today are worse than before, who suck pretty bad, their pop music cast offs who couldn't cut it anywhere else. If you think Luke Bryan is an 'artist', you should just go back to licking windows on your 6 passenger bus 🚌 and stop annoying the rest of us with your intellectual post on a cigar site.
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

Not ignorant or small minded, just my opinion...

Hank_The_Tank wrote:




I'll say this...take it FWIW...listen more, and before you post an opinion read it. Leave it and come back to it. Still feel the conviction the reveal that piece of you then post it. Just remember that in a forum like this, words are what we take people for. Why remove all doubt for someone?

Just sayin'
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

If you think Luke Bryan is an 'artist', you should just go back to licking windows on your 6 passenger bus 🚌 and stop annoying the rest of us with your intellectual post on a cigar site.

sd72 wrote:







Can we agree that he's terrible?
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago

Frank Beard lives behind my subdivision and those ZZ Top fella's play some damn fine Texas music.

I'll give it to you, I hate Nashville and all the "Hellraisin'" country music they're putting out and how every song sounds like a retarded mix of rap and banjos oh and the infamous R R R R R R R RED RED RED RED REDNECK ultra stutter song that makes me sick to my stomach. It's nothing but crappy southern rock.

Despite the musical talent, these folks are **** lyricists at best and pale in comparison to the days of outlaw country and Southern Gentleman like Cash, Nelson, et al.

Get you some Texas country or some Bluegrass, Hell, even some Texas Big Band Polka or Cajun music and you might like it better.

Also Hank, quit being a "please don't be offended" guy. Stand your ground! You're a man!

jjanecka wrote:



I just wanted it to be known that I wasn't actually trying to offend people...just not the reason for my post.

Here is what my OP should have said:

Country music sucks! That is all.
sd72
9 years ago
Hank, quit being a pu$$y.
DrafterX
9 years ago
If you're gonna play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddler...:-({|=
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

I heard one the other day that I liked.....band called Houndmouth out of Southern Indiana. Liked them quite a bit....

JadeRose wrote:





=d> =d> =d>


Reminds me a bit of Kurt Vile.
Users browsing this topic