SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago
On May 10, 1869 the first transcontinental railroad was completed ...

We don't travel much by train these days and seldom even think of the railroad as a transportation option, but at the time, this was a really big deal ... travel from Chicago to San Francisco could be done in days rather than weeks or even months ... guys like Leland Stanford, Mark Hopkins, Charles Crocker and Collis Huntington became immensely rich as the result of building the western half and other RRs in the west ...
BuckyB93
9 years ago
So how was the trip? Did you save your ticket stub in your scrap book?
TMCTLT
9 years ago

On May 10, 1869 the first transcontinental railroad was completed ...

We don't travel much by train these days and seldom even think of the railroad as a transportation option, but at the time, this was a really big deal ... travel from Chicago to San Francisco could be done in days rather than weeks or even months ... guys like Leland Stanford, Mark Hopkins, Charles Crocker and Collis Huntington became immensely rich as the result of building the western half and other RRs in the west ...

SteveS wrote:




Not to mention the ability to get goods to consumers quicker
Yes.....all that work so we could bail on it for the most part only to fill our roadways with Semi tractors!!!!!!
DrafterX
9 years ago
nobody ever thinks all the dead Chinese guys tho... poor dead Chinese guys... 😞
SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago

So how was the trip? Did you save your ticket stub in your scrap book?

BuckyB93 wrote:



Funny you should ask ... yes, I DID save it, but then it somehow disappeared along with my Harrison for President button back when he beat Cleveland ...
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
...........I go everywhere by train...work, church, vacations....so much cheaper than owning a car...
mikey1597
9 years ago
FGM was there
frankj1
9 years ago

nobody ever thinks all the dead Chinese guys tho... poor dead Chinese guys... 😞

DrafterX wrote:


you stole Delta's post
Whistlebritches
9 years ago
I heard Thomas Durant and Cullen Bohannon were the big winners
Hillbillyjosh770
9 years ago
interesting. I like that. I vote Steve does a weekly history lesson.

I've seen the Biltmore. those guys made a killing before the turn of the century.
Does anyone know George Vanderbuilt II died of?

Now if I can talk one of you knuckleheads into posting my daily local weather I'd be set.
jjanecka
9 years ago
God bless the rails
corey sellers
9 years ago
High of 87
Winds out of the south 5 to 7 mph
10 % chance of precipitation
DrafterX
9 years ago
kevinn2006
9 years ago
I work in intermodal transportation ... look it up - The rails are still a HUGE part of this country.
Users browsing this topic