jespear
  • jespear
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago
Security alert! I am serious!
I did the procedure outlined below and found DOZENS of unfamiliar people "following" me.
Several names weren't even in English script. Kinda scary!
1. Go to settings
(drop-down menu caret next to the question mark top right)
2. Go to Blocking
(Red circle on the list on the left)
3. Go to Block Users
4. Type: Following Me in the box.
5. Click "Block"
(Get a refreshing beverage because.....)
6. You have to "block" each one individually.

Please pass it on.
Ewok126
9 years ago
Firstly – NO, typing “following me” in the Blocked users textbox does NOT provide a list of users who are following you.

What it DOES do is bring up a list of users associated with the words you typed into the textbox – in this case the words “following” and “me”. This can mean those words appear in a user’s name, introduction or any of their About Me sections. Given the rather generic nature of the words “following” and “me”, users who follow the instructions are more than likely going to see a rather random (and completely benign) list of Facebook users appear. To reiterate, these users will have little connection with you and are certainly not following you.

This is certainly not the first time this variation of nonsense has circulated online. In fact this hoax traces back to around 2011 when a rumour urged users to type in the words “Automation Labs” into the same box to see their stalkers – instructions that unsurprisingly just delivered a list of users who had the words “automation labs” in their profile.

Then at the start of 2017 another variation of this rumour appeared, only this time recipients were urged to type in “Facebook Security” into the textbox which would [apparently] reveal a list of “paid stalkers”. But instead, it bought up a list of users with either “Facebook” or “Security” in their name or About section.

Nonsense… yes. Why Facebook would implement a feature that would allow users to see their paid stalkers or “covert followers” seems oddly counter-productive, yet this logical flaw hasn’t seemed to stop these rumours from going viral, regularly.

http://www.thatsnonsense.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/following-me.jpgUsers 
who follow you can see your PUBLIC posts on their newsfeed. Posts set to Friends are only visible to friends, not to followers.

As such, claims that typing in “following me” in the Blocked user box will reveal users who are following you is just complete nonsense.


http://www.thatsnonsense.com/typing-following-facebook-block-list-shows-followers-hoax/ 

jespear
  • jespear
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago

Firstly – NO, typing “following me” in the Blocked users textbox does NOT provide a list of users who are following you.

What it DOES do is bring up a list of users associated with the words you typed into the textbox – in this case the words “following” and “me”. This can mean those words appear in a user’s name, introduction or any of their About Me sections. Given the rather generic nature of the words “following” and “me”, users who follow the instructions are more than likely going to see a rather random (and completely benign) list of Facebook users appear. To reiterate, these users will have little connection with you and are certainly not following you.

This is certainly not the first time this variation of nonsense has circulated online. In fact this hoax traces back to around 2011 when a rumour urged users to type in the words “Automation Labs” into the same box to see their stalkers – instructions that unsurprisingly just delivered a list of users who had the words “automation labs” in their profile.

Then at the start of 2017 another variation of this rumour appeared, only this time recipients were urged to type in “Facebook Security” into the textbox which would [apparently] reveal a list of “paid stalkers”. But instead, it bought up a list of users with either “Facebook” or “Security” in their name or About section.

Nonsense… yes. Why Facebook would implement a feature that would allow users to see their paid stalkers or “covert followers” seems oddly counter-productive, yet this logical flaw hasn’t seemed to stop these rumours from going viral, regularly.

http://www.thatsnonsense.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/following-me.jpgUsers 
who follow you can see your PUBLIC posts on their newsfeed. Posts set to Friends are only visible to friends, not to followers.

As such, claims that typing in “following me” in the Blocked user box will reveal users who are following you is just complete nonsense.


http://www.thatsnonsense.com/typing-following-facebook-block-list-shows-followers-hoax/ 

Ewok126 wrote:



No problem, little guy.
The instructions were sent to me by my brother-in-law. I followed them, and just like he said, I got about 30 or so names,(mostly Arabic . . . some even written in Arabic). To be honest, YEAH . . . it made me VERY uneasy.
If I had done a little research, possibly I could have avoided the knee-jerk reaction, and avoided putting other people in the same "uneasy" frame of mind that it put me in. I will enlighten my BIL about this.

I appreciate your not taking me to task, as some a$$holes on these boards would have.

jes


frankj1
9 years ago
John...you're my friend, my brother. i sincerely want you to know that had i understood one word of the OP, I would have made your life a living Hell.


Keeping my flip fone.






HA!!!
Ewok126
9 years ago

No problem, little guy.
The instructions were sent to me by my brother-in-law. I followed them, and just like he said, I got about 30 or so names,(mostly Arabic . . . some even written in Arabic). To be honest, YEAH . . . it made me VERY uneasy.
If I had done a little research, possibly I could have avoided the knee-jerk reaction, and avoided putting other people in the same "uneasy" frame of mind that it put me in. I will enlighten my BIL about this.

I appreciate your not taking me to task, as some a$$holes on these boards would have.

jes


jespear wrote:



Any time slick. The fact that now so many things have been documented as hoax and they seem to pop up each year such as this one from 2011, It would now be easy to actually pull off such and hide under the umbrella of "oh its just a hoax".

I had a friend that sent me a Waring yesterday about drinking Pepsi where an employee was arrested for intentionally putting his blood in the drink and he was HIV positive. This one had been going around since 2010 I think and resurfaced this month. Today if an employee should actually get caught for doing such many would research and go oh its just a hoax and in turn keep drinking a soda with the possibility of someones blood in it. If any of that made sense lol.

Reminds me of Black Flag operations lol. Its real easy to hide in plain sight or hide in the fact that people now think they know, So to use that fact and change the rules mid game would give a head start. Ok I am starting to confuse my self so I will end with this. One can never be to careful Hoax or not, Better to cover your ass than as to mark it off because of what we think we might know. What was a fact yesterday might not be fact today with allot of things due to some people think like I do lmaooooo. Bottom line CYA man, CYA no matter what. 🇨🇮

"When I think I know this much (.) then there is now this much to learn (o) and when I think i know that much then there is this much more to learn (O) and when I think I know it all, then fact is I know nothing" Erick Jared 2088 Neurophysiologist and my College professor. A great man and an awesome mind. 👍
MACS
9 years ago
If you combine all the things you know... they look like boobs.

(.)Y(.) (0)Y(0) (O)Y(O)

Some of them are ugly boobs.
victor809
9 years ago
I figured this was one of those pranks where you get people to block all their posts to everyone....
Ewok126
9 years ago

Some of them are ugly boobs.

MACS wrote:



Well that would explain why mine look like they do I guess lmaooooooooooooooooooo


Ewok Tits are hot but only because they covered with so much FUR. Damn that reminds me of my old girl friend.
jespear
  • jespear
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago

John...you're my friend, my brother. i sincerely want you to know that had i understood one word of the OP, I would have made your life a living Hell.


Keeping my flip fone.






HA!!!

frankj1 wrote:



jespear wrote:
I appreciate your not taking me to task, as some a$$holes on these boards would have.

Frank,
Thank jew for validating my statement.

שנה טובה, ידידי היקר
Thunder.Gerbil
9 years ago

Security alert! I am serious!
I did the procedure outlined below and found DOZENS of unfamiliar people "following" me.
Several names weren't even in English script. Kinda scary!

jespear wrote:



FBI-SSG cover names.

You and Jonesy just made the list, pal.
frankj1
9 years ago

jespear wrote:
I appreciate your not taking me to task, as some a$$holes on these boards would have.

Frank,
Thank jew for validating my statement.

שנה טובה, ידידי היקר

jespear wrote:


thank you, John.
jespear
  • jespear
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago

FBI-SSG cover names.

You and Jonesy just made the list, pal.

Thunder.Gerbil wrote:



😨
Mr. Jones
9 years ago
#12 jespear....
LISTEN TO Thundergerbil...

GARY O'CONNER...

El Hefe FBI-SSG FIELD CHIEFTON
AKA
PAPA SMURF
PAPA F.E.M. ( fat earinged moron)
i.e.:
The Sociopathic P.R.I.C.K.
and LOVER OF BLACK EXTRACTION HOODS IN HOSPITAL WAITING ROOMS (with a small ARMY
OF 50 AGENTS on site @ HERSHEY MED and another 25 at least @Troegs BREWERY IN HERSHEY, PA)
while your Ex-Wife is having breast cancer surgery....

Really wants to meet you..
Up close and personnel...
As in...

BUY A BUT PLUG...
BECAUSE HE REALLY WANTS TO **** YOU OVER...BIG-TIME...
Users browsing this topic