jordanjd
8 years ago
https://jet.com/product/Empire-300-ct-Humidor/2d4bb84971dc47ea97eb4a53c6b82801  which claims 300 cigars ( really doubt 300 but the size: cigar capacity ratio seems standard). 18.75x11.6x10.25, "300 count" found $110 or so. Does anyone have any alternatives for me?
engletl
8 years ago
Save the $$$ and get a Sterilite tub or igloo cooler and line with cedar from empty cigar boxes. Then get a pound of good 65%th beads and you are set.

All the savings can then be spent overbidding dark sharks.

I have been using a sterilite for close to 15 years now and never an issue.
RMAN4443
8 years ago

Save the $$$ and get a Sterilite tub or igloo cooler and line with cedar from empty cigar boxes. Then get a pound of good 65%th beads and you are set.

All the savings can then be spent overbidding dark sharks.

I have been using a sterilite for close to 15 years now and never an issue.

engletl wrote:


+1....I use a cooler and KL...same idea though...🇨🇮
Pudding Mittens
8 years ago
.
I second the recommendation of Sterilite tubs. The transparent 116-quart ones from Home Depot are great. $17 or so and it holds a very large amount of cigars, and they're stackable to save floor space. I've had them for years and have never had a problem with them. Add Spanish cedar of some sort and the humidification system of your choice. And then, read the digital hygrometer of your choice through the transparent body without having to open the tub! I recommend the Western Caliber IV, as do many other cigar guys. High accuracy, high reliability, and it can be easily calibrated +- 6% points.

When I first started, a wise man told me to forget the traditional wood humidors which are usually nothing but expensive problems, and to go with these stackable tubs. He was 100% right.
.
danmdevries
8 years ago
Big fan of my Pelican cases
tonygraz
8 years ago
Tubs are cheap and if you open them infrequently humidifacatiion stays rather constant.
IronResin
8 years ago
https://jet.com/product/Empire-300-ct-Humidor/2d4bb84971dc47ea97eb4a53c6b82801  which claims 300 cigars ( really doubt 300 but the size: cigar capacity ratio seems standard). 18.75x11.6x10.25, "300 count" found $110 or so. Does anyone have any alternatives for me?





If you want a humidor for looks; invest in a better unit. The China stuff is like rolling the dice; most dont hold humidity very well and to make matters worse, most ppl season them by wiping them down. Which ends up warping the laminate cedar wood. Go with a solid cedar humidor or coolidor if just storing sticks.
jordanjd
8 years ago

If you want a humidor for looks; invest in a better unit. The China stuff is like rolling the dice; most dont hold humidity very well and to make matters worse, most ppl season them by wiping them down. Which ends up warping the laminate cedar wood. Go with a solid cedar humidor or coolidor if just storing sticks.

IronResin wrote:



https://jet.com/product/Empire-300-ct-Humidor/2d4bb84971dc47ea97eb4a53c6b82801  for $110 and just don't season it by wiping?
dstieger
IronResin
8 years ago



Yea if you want to get it. I got a China humidor that has a good seal. I seasoned it by letting a shot glass of DH2O evaporate. Every china humidor that I have wiped down has warped. The difference in my experience between a solid cedar humidor vs China 1 is that my heartfelt beads last longer in a cedar one. For what ever reason the china humidor does not hold the humidity as well (even tho the seal is good). I suspect that the spanish cedar laminate does not hold the sufficient amount of humidity needed for cigars. So it takes more work to maintain the China humidor more than my quality one.
IronResin
8 years ago



Hey Jordan, I took a look @ the pic of the Empire and I would not buy it. If you look at the humidor open (image) you will find that it lacks the bottom lip for a proper seal. If you gonna buy a China humidor grab one that has a box in a box design and not just a top lid lip. The top "lip" China humidors suck ass. Those don't keep humidity in at all. Save your money and buy a good one.
dstieger
8 years ago
Get a nice smaller humidor from cheaphumidors dot com for your ready-service cigars, and keep the remainder in tubs or coolers. You're talking about spending over a $100....why take a chance you'll be getting a piece of crap?
I get being frugal, but this is not the time....you are talking about having a piece of furniture that can last a lifetime AND take good care of your 300 cigars, which are going to cost a heck of a lot more than $110. Get something well made or get a cooler
IronResin
8 years ago
I found a page with a pic of both types illustrating the difference. Hope this helps.

cigarpage.com/relic-series-heirloom-120-ct-humidor-reclaimed-wood.html


The heriloom has the box within a box design. And has the top and bottom lips.

tampa brent
8 years ago
I use a Coleman 28qt cooler ($15) with heartfelt beads and Western Caliber IV digital hygrometer and I couldn't be happier.

This size was great for me in the beginning b/c it's half the size of the larger full size coolers and I didn't have a lot of cigars to store. As time went on I found myself buying boxes of my favorite cigars and I had plenty of room to store them. I find boxes stack nicely in this size cooler and I just place my loose cigars in pouches and sit them on top of the boxes.

If you really prefer a wooden humidor then you should go for it. It's good you're doing some research first.

fishinguitarman
8 years ago
Get a cardboard box n keep em on the front porch
jordanjd
8 years ago
Thanks for all the input, could someone link me some options if I were to go with a large cooler and just some beads? Not sure exactly what I need in this case.
IronResin
8 years ago

Thanks for all the input, could someone link me some options if I were to go with a large cooler and just some beads? Not sure exactly what I need in this case.

jordanjd wrote:




You cant go wrong with a Diamond Crown humidor and heartfelt beads and a small coolerdor IMHO. [frypan]
IronResin
8 years ago



Yea but throw in 2 cedar trays and dump the humdi-care for heartfelt beads.
Ewok126
8 years ago
Here is what you go with, and you can get it all for around 50 bucks. FGM post #15 won't lead you wrong. 🍺


https://goo.gl/aAG8B5 
https://goo.gl/vDU3gw 
https://goo.gl/xbZsaV 
Users browsing this topic