Gene363
  • Gene363
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago
Is Turbo Tax or even Tax Slayer and good option for preparing your taxes?

I've been using an accounting firm to prepare our tax returns. This year they sent an acknowledgement to allow them to export our information for input. The inputed information would then be processed in the USA, needless to say, I declined. Since we sold our rentals more than a year ago our taxes 'should' be simpler.
danmdevries
7 years ago
I've used TurboTax for 10+ years and it's pretty easy to use. I don't have any complex tax stuff to worry about though.
deadeyedick
7 years ago
Going to be a bunch of people surprised by their tax returns this year. Esp if you itemized in the past.
dstieger
7 years ago
Years ago, you could go all the way through the prep to the end before paying. I always ran my numbers through all 3, Tax Slayer, Turbo and HRBlock....the bottom line was ALWAYS different...sometimes a little...sometimes a bunch. I submitted using whichever was most in my favor. About 5-6 years ago, either the software changed, or my stuff got complex enough that i couldn't get through to good comparison....I chose HRBlock and have been using them since. I'm confident with them and most importantly, I haven't been audited....yet
dstieger
7 years ago
Ded, I agree completely. I did some serious crunching back in May or June and jacked my withholding quite a bit....hopefully enough
opelmanta1900
7 years ago
HR Block has been my go to for years... Kinda helps my dad is one of their tax writers...
dstieger
7 years ago
Maybe I need to talk with your dad, opel.....I had issues last year....some areas were far more confounding than they had been in the past. Enough so, that I began to wonder if they abandoned some experts and QC due to tax law changes
rfenst
7 years ago

Going to be a bunch of people surprised by their tax returns this year. Esp if you itemized in the past.

deadeyedick wrote:



Why?
dstieger
7 years ago
Because withholding changed 'automatically' as a result of tax law changes without regard to anything other than income and previously claimed withholding deductions. Increased standard deduction is making it a lot more complicated than that.
Mrs. dpnewell
7 years ago
Years ago I used Parson's Tax Edge. In the 90's Intuit bought the rights to the software and renamed it Turbo Tax. I used Turbo Tax up to 3 years ago, when they tried to pull a fast one, and started to charge extra for stuff that used to be included. I, and thousands of others jumped to H&R Block. Intuit pulled the same crap with Quick Books which cost me hundreds of dollars each year just to process half a dozen payroll checks per week. I will never use another Intuit product again.

David
rfenst
7 years ago

Increased standard deduction is making it a lot more complicated than that.

dstieger wrote:



I would think that an increased standard deduction would make itemization less likely for many.
frankj1
7 years ago
I increased my 401k contribution, not my withholding.
dstieger
7 years ago

I would think that an increased standard deduction would make itemization less likely for many.

rfenst wrote:


Yep.
dstieger
7 years ago
I wasn't saying that tax prep was going to be more complicated. Calculating withholding for each taxpayer to get desired tax bill (or refund) has changed....thus, the complication...especially since so many of the variables changed
bs_kwaj
7 years ago

I use Turbo Tax. Each year I just go in and put new numbers in the places I had numbers last year.

🍺
deadeyedick
7 years ago
I can't say anything good about H&R Schlock. Haven't used them for over 20 years because of some problems in the past.

We recently had to use them at a remote office for my MIL after FIL died. Their taxes should have been extremely basic but they were charged almost twice what I pay my tax accountant each year.
Burner02
7 years ago

I chose HRBlock and have been using them since. I'm confident with them and most importantly, I haven't been audited....yet

dstieger wrote:



+1

Been using them since 2011.
Gene363
  • Gene363
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago
Thank you all very much for your input.
Gene363
  • Gene363
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago

I use Turbo Tax. Each year I just go in and put new numbers in the places I had numbers last year.

🍺

bs_kwaj wrote:



Exactly! This is just what I was doing for my CPA except it was using a pencil in a workbook. I hope to do the same with the software and a keyboard.
RobertHively
7 years ago
For all you FOGS with a little extra time on your hands:

America: Freedom to Fascism (Full) by Aaron Russo



Aaron Russo (/ˈrʊsoʊ/; February 14, 1943 – August 24, 2007) was an American entertainment businessman, film producer and director, and political activist. He was best known for producing such movies as Trading Places, Wise Guys, and The Rose. Later in life, he created various Libertarian-leaning political documentaries including Mad as Hell and America: Freedom to Fascism. After a six-year battle with cancer, Russo died on August 24, 2007. (Wikipedia)
Users browsing this topic