moonman
  • moonman
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago
How does one determine the air flow for furnace? Does the fan suck or blow? Monica? Anyone?
dstieger
7 years ago
I am the most mechanically disinclined person I know.....and even I have to think you're bs'ing here. I can think of at least three ways to tell pretty quickly.....has the filter never been changed?
dstieger
7 years ago
On a related note, has anyone tried a filter 'subscription service'? When I first saw the commercials a couple months ago, I shook my head and thought that soon, there won't be anything without a monthly charge. But, the more I thought about it, the more I thought that this is one commodity for which it makes a lot of sense. Not just the hassle of a repetitive, regular purchase, but also the built in reminder. I have put a reminder in my phone calendar to remember to replace the furnace filter, but still, I manage to forget and/or be late frequently.
moonman
  • moonman
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago
I have changed the filter many times and although I am pretty sure that from the first time I replaced it I looked at the direction that the arrow was pointing on the filter itself, I am not positive. I have no problem admitting to be a knucklehead at times, butt thanx for the reminder. 🤦
opelmanta1900
7 years ago
I have the same issue every time I change mine... I always just call my dad...
opelmanta1900
7 years ago
Want me to call him for you?
dstieger
7 years ago
LOL....sorry....I really did think you were joking. So, if you've already got the old filter out, can you turn on the furnace and feel which way the air is flowing? If hard to tell, hold a piece of thread or a strip of TP. My filter goes on the supply side - so the filter arrow points into the fan. If it is still unclear, you can probably follow just a bit of ducting to see which way air is moving through the furnace. There also may well be arrows either where you slide a filter in; or along ducting into or out of the furnace.
DrafterX
7 years ago
The idea is to keep the dirt and puppy-dog hair out of the furnace... Take it from there... 😟
opelmanta1900
7 years ago
That's smart... My furnace has 2 filters that sit in a 'V' formation and you gotta put one in upside down so you can flip it once it's where it's supposed to be... Probably not as confusing as my mind perceives it to be, but I still call my dad to make sure I don't screw it up...
delta1
7 years ago
Google the make and model of the furnace...should find correct instructions in the on-line manual by searching "filter replacement"
DrafterX
7 years ago
Sunoverbeach
7 years ago
If old filter in place intake should be the side with the most crud on it. Point arrow of new filter away from it. If not, test run without filter would work too.

If V setup like Opel, don't know. Don't understand the V. Might be why wife looks so disappointed all the time
delta1
7 years ago
moonman
  • moonman
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago

Want me to call him for you?

opelmanta1900 wrote:



Thanks but I just watched a tutorial on Duct Duct Go. I got it right! Woo Hoo!
moonman
  • moonman
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago

LOL....sorry....I really did think you were joking. So, if you've already got the old filter out, can you turn on the furnace and feel which way the air is flowing? If hard to tell, hold a piece of thread or a strip of TP. My filter goes on the supply side - so the filter arrow points into the fan. If it is still unclear, you can probably follow just a bit of ducting to see which way air is moving through the furnace. There also may well be arrows either where you slide a filter in; or along ducting into or out of the furnace.

dstieger wrote:



It's Kool! Not a National Emergency or anything! I have been successful in preventing nasty critters from crossing the filter!
madspackler
7 years ago
Take a sharpie marker and draw an arrow on the sheet metal to indicate flow direction for future reference. I also write the date of the filter change on the exposed edge of the filter so you know when it was done last. If you have other filters at the return grills, write the date so you can see it through the grill as a reminder to change them also
delta1
7 years ago

Thanks but I just watched a tutorial on Duct Duct Go. I got it right! Woo Hoo!

moonman wrote:





👍


it's hard to beat the advice that can be had here at CBid, but sometimes it's worth leaving the comfort zone...

advice: do NOT use kitty litter as a humidifying agent if you have 3 cats...
Satchmo218
7 years ago

If old filter in place intake should be the side with the most crud on it. Point arrow of new filter away from it. If not, test run without filter would work too.

If V setup like Opel, don't know. Don't understand the V. Might be why wife looks so disappointed all the time

Sunoverbeach wrote:




Thanks Sunoverbeach!!! I literally LOL'd in a meeting at one of the worst possible times!! 🤦
Sunoverbeach
7 years ago
Hey, you've seen some of the chit that can roll out in this forum. I can't be held responsible for your poor decisions on when to catch up on the chatter

[frypan]
Users browsing this topic