frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago
a virtual plate of Hamentaschen...well he tried to but he ate them all!

It's a nice little story, preserved in The Book of Esther (that's part of the Bible...I mean The Prequel).
A while back, MattyB pointed out that it's the only book that does not mention God. I did not know this at the time and have since looked into it a little.

Turns out there is a second book as well, but the reasons biblical scholars have given for this is an interesting read...for those with interest of course.

In summary, an ancient version of Hitler (Hamen) ended up being hanged to death on the gallows he erected for Mordecai as part of the story of how the Jews in Persia escaped being wiped out.

A side note, my 5 year old granddaughter had a one line part in a play at preschool yesterday. She was Queen Vashti, who was replaced (yup, the Jews replaced her) by Esther...just one of several steps that took place to save the Jews without Divine Intervention...part of why God is not mentioned in this Book of the Bible.

Oh, and Purim dictates that I eat and drink in celebration. Sometimes it's good to be a Jew...HA!
MACS
7 years ago
I enjoyed the book of Esther. Liked that Haman got his come-uppance.
frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago
yeah, he was a p.o.s.
Great fun for kids. Temples have carnivals, the kids dress up in costumes, play games, eat Hamantachen (3 corner pastries).
Not a major holiday, but for families that teach their kids about it, it is another step in establishing the blood line identity that is our history and our heritage.
rfenst
7 years ago

yeah, he was a p.o.s.
Great fun for kids. Temples have carnivals, the kids dress up in costumes, play games, eat Hamantachen (3 corner pastries).
Not a major holiday, but for families that teach their kids about it, it is another step in establishing the blood line identity that is our history and our heritage.

frankj1 wrote:


It is a festival, which I interpret to perpetuate a fact that Jews should not trust the Persians. Kind of like an annual reminder not to trust the Iranians.
MACS
7 years ago
What? No wedding cake?
plinytheelder
7 years ago

What? No wedding cake?

MACS wrote:



He had his cake, you wanted him to eat it too?
gummy jones
7 years ago
rfenst
7 years ago

What? No wedding cake?

MACS wrote:


Nope.
jespear
7 years ago

a virtual plate of Hamentaschen...well he tried to but he ate them all!

It's a nice little story, preserved in The Book of Esther (that's part of the Bible...I mean The Prequel).
A while back, MattyB pointed out that it's the only book that does not mention God. I did not know this at the time and have since looked into it a little.

Turns out there is a second book as well, but the reasons biblical scholars have given for this is an interesting read...for those with interest of course.

In summary, an ancient version of Hitler (Hamen) ended up being hanged to death on the gallows he erected for Mordecai as part of the story of how the Jews in Persia escaped being wiped out.

A side note, my 5 year old granddaughter had a one line part in a play at preschool yesterday. She was Queen Vashti, who was replaced (yup, the Jews replaced her) by Esther...just one of several steps that took place to save the Jews without Divine Intervention...part of why God is not mentioned in this Book of the Bible.

Oh, and Purim dictates that I eat and drink in celebration. Sometimes it's good to be a Jew...HA!

frankj1 wrote:



Yes . . . Yes it does ! :-"
tonygraz
7 years ago
I heard Drafter wants to convert.
RMAN4443
7 years ago

I heard Drafter was a pervert.

tonygraz wrote:


FIFY
frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago
no way, man.
Speyside
7 years ago
Ummm, I haven't met to many holidays of the tribe that didn't involve eating and drinking. Purim Allegre!
frankj1
  • frankj1
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
7 years ago
someone once told me that all Jewish holidays could be summed up like this:

they tried to kill us
we survived
let's eat
rfenst
7 years ago
Yesterday, my dental implant fell out while eating humantashen. Now, I need a bone graph before having it reinstalled. I already spent about $5k on just the implants (without the crowns). Sucks to be me today.
KingoftheCove
7 years ago

Yesterday, my dental implant fell out while eating humantashen. Now, I need a bone graph before having it reinstalled. I already spent about $5k on just the implants (without the crowns). Sucks to be me today.

rfenst wrote:


I’d look into a single, clip on partial, at least for the interim ( of course it depends on what tooth it is)
The technology on these has really stepped up.
My son loves his.
Bone grafts are no fun, not at all a fool proof option, etc. there can be not so fun issues with those.




rfenst
7 years ago

I’d look into a single, clip on partial, at least for the interim ( of course it depends on what tooth it is)
The technology on these has really stepped up.
My son loves his.
Bone grafts are no fun, not at all a fool proof option, etc. there can be not so fun issues with those.

KingoftheCove wrote:


Thankfully, I have just a little ache in my jaw I can live with till Monday when my oral surgeon said he''d screw it back in.
delta1
7 years ago
I knew a woman named Vashti when I worked at Inglewood Unified more than 35 years ago...always wondered about that name's origin...


hope rfenst gets his toofies fixed right...
Users browsing this topic