danmdevries
6 years ago
I cook a lot when I'm bored, and most of the food ends up in containers or bags and then frozen for later. Or I buy extra ingredients to use later but then end up just buying the stuff again and forgetting about the stuff I froze. Often times forgotten about for a good many months till it's just full of ice and gets tossed. Hell, when my freezer died a couple years back I found two ducks buried that my cousin gave me probably 2-3 years prior.

Looking for something I can potentially use for sous vide cooking, and storing stuff for many months.

Spent some time looking at amazon but reviews are mixed on everything. There's about a third "this is junk", another third saying "you just need to figure out how to use it properly" and then the last third which are obviously compensated reviews 5 star with no caveats.

I trust some of youse guys, and since most of us are FOGs who love food I thought I'd ask.

Used to have access to an industrial cryovac machine (which I did the ducks in) but my buddy sold his part of the company and I can't use it anymore. Just been using ziploc since then.
USNGunner
6 years ago
Stand by Dan. My buddy in Carolina has one he loves. It's a chamber model and I would love to have one. I'll get the details for you and post them.
MACS
6 years ago
I have a foodsaver. I use it to vacuum seal whole fish for the wife. Brisket, pork shoulder, steaks, chuck, and I use it to sous vide stuff, too. No complaints, so far.

https://tinyurl.com/y9mlqk7k 
USNGunner
6 years ago

I have a foodsaver. I use it to vacuum seal whole fish for the wife. Brisket, pork shoulder, steaks, chuck, and I use it to sous vide stuff, too. No complaints, so far.

https://tinyurl.com/y9mlqk7k 

MACS wrote:



i have a foodsaver too, but you have to buy their damned bags. I found a source for much better priced bags, but foodsaver sued the **** out of them and they're gone now.

The chamber type can use any bag. Way way cool and a much better result. But spendy.
danmdevries
6 years ago
Gunner, those types are out of my price range and practical usage.

Macs, that's the same one I felt most confident on from reading reviews. I'll add it to my wish list. Thanks
MACS
6 years ago
Gunner... I buy bags off of Amazon. They ain't made by food saver, neither, and they work just fine. I usually grab a few 11" and 8.5" rolls.

Only issue I have is the 11" width... some of the fish I catch won't fit, whole. Good problem to have, I guess.
Plowboy221
6 years ago
All my food comes pre wrapped and packed in recyclable packaging from the grocer. Just throw in the nuclear energy device and bam within a few minutes even seconds a hit warm nutritious meal that’s also safe for the environment 👍🏻
Bumblebee395
6 years ago
Make sure you use the thicker bag material. Ziploc brand is the best I've used.

The regular Food Saver rolls puncture way too easy, especially when you're in the freezer rummaging around for stuff.

Food Saver came out with a thicker material but is more expensive than Ziploc.

And yes, Macs, that is a good problem to have.
fishinguitarman
6 years ago
Get Celtic to suck the air out
USNGunner
6 years ago
He says its an Ary vac master vp112. Still going strong and he loves it.
USNGunner
6 years ago
Yeah, I know MACS, but they're still spendy for what they are. Fleet Farm in Wisconsin carries some that I like, better than the food saver bags but those chamber units are the heat.
RMAN4443
6 years ago
I've used a Foodsaver for about 4 or 5 years...works great and still going strong...I haven't done any sous vide though
Pudding Mittens
6 years ago

Any recommendations for a vacuum sealer?

danmdevries wrote:


There are several options such as acrylic or polyurethane sealers, among others. Most are relatively easy to apply to the vacuum cleaner with a thick-bristled paint brush, and most provide a reasonable level of protection from the sun's UV rays and bad weather, preventing cracking, spalling and staining of your vacuum cleaner and extending its life.

It's really a toss up. Heck, some people don't use ANY sealer on their vacuum cleaner, and they get along just fine!

🇨🇮
.
Users browsing this topic