Mrs. dpnewell
6 years ago
As a cord cutter, we watch a lot of YouTube. If there is an ad that you no longer wish to watch, you can click on "why am I seeing this ad", and then select "stop seeing this ad". YouTube will stop playing that ad and replace it with something else. You can also skip most ads after the first 5 seconds. For the past few weeks they have been playing two anti-Trump ads. Neither ad can be skipped, and when I go into the menu, the "stop seeing this ad" function has been removed.. Meanwhile, pro Trump ads can be skipped and disabled. About a week ago, an anti-Tillis ad started to play. Tillis is the Republican Senator from my district. This ad also can not be skipped or disabled, but any pro-Tillis ads can. A few days ago, I went into settings and turned off all political ads. Surprise, surprise. All the pro-Trump and pro-Tillis ads no longer come up, but the anti-Trump and anti-Tillis ads continue to play over and over again. Since the "skip" feature is disabled, you have to sit through the entire ad to get to the video you wish to watch. Yet there are some of you who continue to insist that social media platforms do not have a leftist political agenda. Priceless.

David


Gene363
6 years ago
Absolutely. The routinely demonetize gun videos but run adds anyway.

They are also trying to improve their bottom line by initially demonetizing videos, when viewership is highest, when challenged they relent but it's after peak viewing.

I directly support several channels through Patreon and run an add blocker while watching anything on YouTube.
Speyside
6 years ago
The majority of media sources are liberal. You know this. Some people will deny this but most will agree with you. It seems to me any company has the to do as they choose as long as it is legal. Have they broken any law?
delta1
6 years ago
I think the FCC still requires that broadcasters follow the "Fairness Doctrine" ...equal and balanced treatment ...not sure if YouTube's online content has to meet that standard, tho...
Speyside
6 years ago
Thanks Delta.
frankj1
6 years ago
since no one HAS to watch anything, I don't.
ZRX1200
6 years ago
Maybe they pay for the unskippable ads?

YouTube is bad and inconsistent in some ways and terribly slanted politically. Still enjoy who’s on my subscriptions.
Gene363
6 years ago

The majority of media sources are liberal. You know this. Some people will deny this but most will agree with you. It seems to me any company has the to do as they choose as long as it is legal. Have they broken any law?

Speyside wrote:



It is a business, however IMO, YouTube has become an entity like a utility. It goes against my inner libertarian thoughts, (Just not the borderless crap.) but I can see someone testing access limitations/censoring in court one day.
DrMaddVibe
6 years ago
One can find an ad blocker (and they should!) for YouTube.
JadeRose
6 years ago
Ad-Blocker plus. I haven't seen an ad in years
Buckwheat
6 years ago
If you don't like the ads then don't use/watch YouTube. You're not forced to watch/consume any online content. People here get triggered over the most ridiculous stuff. 🌫
victor809
6 years ago

As a cord cutter, we watch a lot of YouTube. If there is an ad that you no longer wish to watch, you can click on "why am I seeing this ad", and then select "stop seeing this ad". YouTube will stop playing that ad and replace it with something else. You can also skip most ads after the first 5 seconds. For the past few weeks they have been playing two anti-Trump ads. Neither ad can be skipped, and when I go into the menu, the "stop seeing this ad" function has been removed.. Meanwhile, pro Trump ads can be skipped and disabled. About a week ago, an anti-Tillis ad started to play. Tillis is the Republican Senator from my district. This ad also can not be skipped or disabled, but any pro-Tillis ads can. A few days ago, I went into settings and turned off all political ads. Surprise, surprise. All the pro-Trump and pro-Tillis ads no longer come up, but the anti-Trump and anti-Tillis ads continue to play over and over again. Since the "skip" feature is disabled, you have to sit through the entire ad to get to the video you wish to watch. Yet there are some of you who continue to insist that social media platforms do not have a leftist political agenda. Priceless.

David


Mrs. dpnewell wrote:



Have you considered it isn't the ads, but the videos?

I don't watch a lot of youtube... and nothing I have ever watched has given me a political ad before it (so you really have to ask yourself what you're doing wrong in the first place there)....

but I have run across different types of ads on youtube. Some get a "skip" button after 5 seconds, and others autoplay through the entire thing before going to the video (note, these ads seem shorter themselves, like only 10 sec at most).

I have always assumed they are based on how the channel set up the advertising.... or how the advertiser paid for their time. Given that none of the ads are political, the idea that it's based in a political bias seems to be overreaching.
Brewha
6 years ago

As a cord cutter, we watch a lot of YouTube. If there is an ad that you no longer wish to watch, you can click on "why am I seeing this ad", and then select "stop seeing this ad". YouTube will stop playing that ad and replace it with something else. You can also skip most ads after the first 5 seconds. For the past few weeks they have been playing two anti-Trump ads. Neither ad can be skipped, and when I go into the menu, the "stop seeing this ad" function has been removed.. Meanwhile, pro Trump ads can be skipped and disabled. About a week ago, an anti-Tillis ad started to play. Tillis is the Republican Senator from my district. This ad also can not be skipped or disabled, but any pro-Tillis ads can. A few days ago, I went into settings and turned off all political ads. Surprise, surprise. All the pro-Trump and pro-Tillis ads no longer come up, but the anti-Trump and anti-Tillis ads continue to play over and over again. Since the "skip" feature is disabled, you have to sit through the entire ad to get to the video you wish to watch. Yet there are some of you who continue to insist that social media platforms do not have a leftist political agenda. Priceless.

David


Mrs. dpnewell wrote:



I believe this is what is called "fair and balanced".

At least that is what I heard....
opelmanta1900
6 years ago

Have you considered it isn't the ads, but the videos?

I don't watch a lot of youtube... and nothing I have ever watched has given me a political ad before it (so you really have to ask yourself what you're doing wrong in the first place there)....

but I have run across different types of ads on youtube. Some get a "skip" button after 5 seconds, and others autoplay through the entire thing before going to the video (note, these ads seem shorter themselves, like only 10 sec at most).

I have always assumed they are based on how the channel set up the advertising.... or how the advertiser paid for their time. Given that none of the ads are political, the idea that it's based in a political bias seems to be overreaching.

victor809 wrote:



The ads that play are linked directly to your Google searches...

If you routinely can't skip an ad after 5 seconds, the channel you're watching has made it so... The channels don't decide which ads to run (that's determined by your search history) but they do decide which format - 1 ad, 2 ads, 6 second ads, 15 second skippable ads, 15second full play ads, or full length ads...

I watch YouTube all the time... It's the season for political ads, but you're likely seeing what you're asking for... People interact more with things they disagree with...
victor809
6 years ago

The ads that play are linked directly to your Google searches...

If you routinely can't skip an ad after 5 seconds, the channel you're watching has made it so... The channels don't decide which ads to run (that's determined by your search history) but they do decide which format - 1 ad, 2 ads, 6 second ads, 15 second skippable ads, 15second full play ads, or full length ads...

I watch YouTube all the time... It's the season for political ads, but you're likely seeing what you're asking for... People interact more with things they disagree with...

opelmanta1900 wrote:



The content of the ads was my point when I said "so you really have to ask yourself what you're doing wrong in the first place there"... I realize ad content is based on your browsing (isn't it cookie based? but I suppose youtube can just look straight at your google history)... so if I've got no political ads, but he does... he's doing something wrong.

Thanks for confirming ad format is channel based choice.
rfenst
6 years ago

It is a business, however IMO, YouTube has become an entity like a utility. It goes against my inner libertarian thoughts, (Just not the borderless crap.) but I can see someone testing access limitations/censoring in court one day.

Gene363 wrote:

God forbid as of now. A regulated utility? What ever happened to freedom of speech? The internet is trending much higher now and I beleive and we will come to use it more and more after the epidemic.So, you don't believe utube is bised. Don't use it or get ad blocking software.
opelmanta1900
6 years ago

God forbid as of now. A regulated utility? What ever happened to freedom of speech? The internet is trending much higher now and I beleive and we will come to use it more and more after the epidemic.So, you don't believe utube is bised. Don't use it or get ad blocking software.

rfenst wrote:


Same attitude if, tomorrow, the site is purchased and controlled by Donald trump?
Speyside
6 years ago
Gene, you yelled loudly when an Indiana bakery got in trouble due to not being willing to bake a cake for a gay couple. Your inner Libertarian is being biased. Government over reach cuts both ways. Being Libertarian means smaller government, less interference, state rights, and freedom of choice. You want your cake and to eat it to.
victor809
6 years ago
You want to define YouTube as a public utility then you're probably going to have to start supplying the poors with free internet.
opelmanta1900
6 years ago
No problem with that... In fact, I have more of a problem with them not having it because of their financial situation... Everyone should have it...
Users browsing this topic