Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev123NextLast
Utah nurse vs detective
1. Author: jespearDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 1:14PM EST
Opinions ?

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/31/utah-nurse-arrested-after-complying-with-hospital-policy-that-bars-taking-blood-from-unconscious-victim/
2. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 1:44PM EST
Read about that this morning... made me livid... the cop isn't even suspended.... he should be rotting in a dark box...
3. Author: BuckwheatDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 1:49PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
Read about that this morning... made me livid... the cop isn't even suspended.... he should be rotting in a dark box...

+1
I'm sure this will end up costing the police force a ton of $'s. ram27bat
4. Author: MACSDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 2:13PM EST
She'll sue for unlawful arrest/detention and win.

She was in the right, the officer was in the wrong... and he knows it.
5. Author: danmdevriesDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 3:37PM EST
I don't think there's anyone that can argue the cops side in this one.

We hold patient privacy above all. We have to. One mistake and we can no longer work in anything remotely related to healthcare. It's heavily enforced. Besides, that evidence collected would be inadmissible.

Get a court order and I'll take care of it. I used to work in ED. The officers would obtain warrants fairly quickly at all hours. Once the warrant was received, the attending would write and sign an order notating court order, and I would collect the sample witnessed and double signed with chain of custody form which everyone that handled the sample would sign. Once the test was complete, again all hand delivered and chain of custody form maintained.
6. Author: delta1Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 3:47PM EST
Would've taken less than an hour to write up a probable cause affidavit and get an on-duty judge to sign a warrant...
7. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 3:49PM EST
The cop actually admitted on camera that he didn't have probable cause...
8. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 6:07PM EST
Before everyone gets butthurt it would be prudent to know why a warrant may not have been required.

Quote:
Brigham City v. Stuart, 547 U.S. 398 (2006), is a United States Supreme Court case involving the exigent circumstances exception to the Fourth Amendment's warrant requirement. The Court ruled that police may enter a home without a warrant if they have an objectively reasonable basis for believing that an occupant is or is about to be seriously injured

So before anyone Monday morning quarterbacks this a question needs to be addressed. Did the officer have a reasonable belief that exigent circumstances existed? If so, he did nothing wrong. With the limited information available, it's impossible to determine how this will end.

The SCOTUS has carved out 6 (I think) situations where a warrant isn't needed to collect evidence.

9. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 6:18PM EST
2016 SCOTUS ruled there were no circumstances that existed wherein a patient's blood could be drawn without either A) consent or B) a warrant...
10. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 6:31PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
2016 SCOTUS ruled there were no circumstances that existed wherein a patient's blood could be drawn without either A) consent or B) a warrant...

What case? BIRCHFIELD vs. NORTH DAKOTA. If so that case blocked the use of implied consent as a basis for collecting blood. That case did not, invalidate an exception based on exigent circumstances.

The reason exigent circumstances may be at play is the rate at which substances degrade with time. Case in point is alcohol. The body metabolizes alcohol fairly quickly. Waiting to get a warrant could cause evidence to be lost.

Not by any means am I saying the officer is right. Just saying. "Standby to standby."
11. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 6:40PM EST
BIRCHFIELD v. NORTH DAKOTA wrote:
In instances where blood tests might be preferable-e.g.,where substances other than alcohol impair the driver’s ability to operate a car safely, or where the subject is unconscious—nothing prevents the police from seeking a warrant or from relying on the exigent circumstances exception if it applies.
12. Author: MACSDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 6:47PM EST
I can see the exigency in this case... since someone was killed.

I'm not going to lie, though... that whole scenario was handled badly by the officer. Arresting a woman for following her employers rules is foolish. He was pissed because she willfully disobeyed him.
13. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 6:56PM EST
I think 2013 scotus case mcneely (?) They ruled that dissipation of alcohol or drugs from an individual's system did not qualify as exigent circumstances, seeing as how electronic application for warrants in this day and age means a warrant can be issued much quicker than alcohol disappears from the blood...
14. Author: jespearDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 7:00PM EST
Right or Wrong, (and THAT could be argued all the way to the Supreme Court), the officer was WAY over the line.

Thanx for your comments.
15. Author: MACSDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 7:03PM EST
https://bluelivesmatter.blue/salt-lake-nurse-arrest-video/

More info...
16. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 7:13PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
I think 2013 scotus case mcneely (?) They ruled that dissipation of alcohol or drugs from an individual's system did not qualify as exigent circumstances, seeing as how electronic application for warrants in this day and age means a warrant can be issued much quicker than alcohol disappears from the blood...

My previous post is copied and pasted from the SCOTUS decision. Here is the theory behind that statement. A blood test is much more invasive than a breath test. Absent consent, a warrant may be needed. So a breath test is preferable. In this case, the subject was unable to give consent. Since consent wasn't an option, it becomes a judgement call on the officer's part.

jespear wrote:
Right or Wrong, (and THAT could be argued all the way to the Supreme Court), the officer was WAY over the line.

At face value I would say you might be correct. But, as is ALWAYS the case, there was a lead up before anyone felt the need to begin videoing the incident. Without knowing that, it's impossible to cast judgement on the end result.

I'm sure there is much more to this story. The officer who arrested the nurse was a detective. I'd venture to say he was far from a rookie. My guess is he has had plenty of experience working with ED staff at this hospital. I'm sure arresting a nurse was certainly not preferred. Before making a knee jerk reaction, I'd like to know the ENTIRE story.
17. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 7:25PM EST
MACS wrote:
https://bluelivesmatter.blue/salt-lake-nurse-arrest-video/

More info...

Unless the investigation has concluded, the reports locked and not publicly available then this article is nothing but speculation. There is nothing in the article that isn't in the video. Had the author(s) of the article read the official case file then they would have used data in that file to give credence to article. They did not.

This then brings about the possibility that it is an article written based on one person's experience. If that person worked for an agency who's policy was that no blood could be drawn without a warrant, then the article is biased based on a higher standard than the SCOTUS requires.
18. Author: Ewok126Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 7:29PM EST
Well crap my day was going well until I seen this. No matter even if there is extenuating circumstances there are still rules and laws and procedures in place to obtain what was needed by the officer. This is not coming in to ones home this is breaking patient rights and yes even murders and prisoners as a patient has these rights. The officer was trying to break FEDERAL law because of his ignorance. The nurse was not only following her hospital policy but federal policy and law. Unless a warrant is in hand by federal law the officer has absolutely no rights to any thing of that patient per again by FEDERAL LAW. If the nurse had given what he officer was asking for that nurse could not only have lost her job and career in any aspect of the medical field but also a 25k fine and I think its 5 years maybe 10 years in prison and that would be (PER INFRACTION) Her credentials would have basically been ripped from her and trashed. All the years of education would have been for ****. I have had to stand beside prisoners that was a patient at the time and they get the exact same treatment and rights as anyone else. In my mind that officer is a disgrace to the law enforcement profession just because he didnt care enough about his own profession to know the law. At least know it well enough to show up with the correct papers to get what was needed instead of busting down on some nurse for doing her job. Like she is going to say HEY TODAY I THINK I WILL TRY TO IMPEDE THE LAW because I AM A BITCH AND HATE MY LIFE. WTF!!!!!

Supreme Court Rules Cops Need A Warrant For Blood Test even for drunk driving that was 06/23/2016
19. Author: Gene363Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 7:33PM EST
Another community, i.e., the taxpayers, are going to pay big bucks for taking the cheap route when hiring police officers.
20. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 7:46PM EST
Ewok126 wrote:
Well crap my day was going well until I seen this. No matter even if there is extenuating circumstances there are still rules and laws and procedures in place to obtain what was needed by the officer. This is not coming in to ones home this is breaking patient rights and yes even murders and prisoners as a patient has these rights. The officer was trying to break FEDERAL law because of his ignorance. The nurse was not only following her hospital policy but federal policy and law. Unless a warrant is in hand by federal law the officer has absolutely no rights to any thing of that patient per again by FEDERAL LAW. If the nurse had given what he officer was asking for that nurse could not only have lost her job and career in any aspect of the medical field but also a 25k fine and I think its 5 years maybe 10 years in prison and that would be (PER INFRACTION) Her credentials would have basically been ripped from her and trashed. All the years of education would have been for ****. I have had to stand beside prisoners that was a patient at the time and they get the exact same treatment and rights as anyone else. In my mind that officer is a disgrace to the law enforcement profession just because he didnt care enough about his own profession to know the law. At least know it well enough to show up with the correct papers to get what was needed instead of busting down on some nurse for doing her job. Like she is going to say HEY TODAY I THINK I WILL TRY TO IMPEDE THE LAW because I AM A BITCH AND HATE MY LIFE. WTF!!!!!

Supreme Court Rules Cops Need A Warrant For Blood Test even for drunk driving that was 06/23/2016

Actually the nurse wasn't asked to draw a sample. The officer is a trained phlebotomist. Apparently she was trying to prevent the officer from drawing the sample.

As far as Federal Law, the Supreme Court has carved it 7 exceptions where a warrant isn't needed. The case you cite is the same case I cited above. Look back at one of the quotes I posted above. Read it carefully because is is word for word from the case you mention. In that quote the Supreme Court said that exigent circumstances can still justify collecting blood without a warrant.
21. Author: Ewok126Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 7:54PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
Actually the nurse wasn't asked to draw a sample. The officer is a trained phlebotomist. Apparently she was trying to prevent the officer from drawing the sample.

As far as Federal Law, the Supreme Court has carved it 7 exceptions where a warrant isn't needed. The case you cite is the same case I cited above. Look back at one of the quotes I posted above. Read it carefully because is is word for word from the case you mention. In that quote the Supreme Court said that exigent circumstances can still justify collecting blood without a warrant.

Ahhh got ya, I had missed all that lol. Ok next question in the video She tells the officer she did not know. Was she not on the phone with admin to see if he could get what he needed or to see if he should have the warrant? Was she not trying to find out? Now I gots to go back and watch it again lmaooo.
22. Author: Ewok126Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 7:57PM EST
yeah after watching the video I do feel the officer was way out of line i noticed he flipped sh1t after what was said by whom ever was on the phone. I think he took it out on her.
23. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 8:01PM EST
Abrignac wrote:

Do any of those 7 exceptions apply to someone who has not been arrested for or charged with a crime and is not suspected of committing a crime? What law prevents officers from randomly drawing blood from everyone in a hospital just in case they have illegal drugs in their system?

(House is chaotic right now! I'll try and give you a ring tomorrow)
24. Author: Ewok126Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 8:06PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
Do any of those 7 exceptions apply to someone who has not been arrested for or charged with a crime and is not suspected of committing a crime? What law prevents officers from randomly drawing blood from everyone in a hospital just in case they have illegal drugs in their system?

Or better yet we all have heard of people impersonating an officer from the cars to the outfit to the badges. There is a reason PAPERS are NEEDED. I can throw on my scrubs and go into any hospital and get called Dr all day long. I have had to correct people because they assume I am one even with a badge that does not read DR. Now if I could have just got them to pay me as if I was a Dr bwahahahahahah....
25. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 8:31PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:

It has to be taken into context. There was a fatality so it's a homicide investigation until proven otherwise. At the end of the day, it it's a matter of the totality of the situation. An officer has much leeway in a homicide investigation. No leeway at all if on a fishing expedition.

The carve out for the exceptions is for a warrantless search & seizure. Police can seize evidence or people. In this case it was a seizure of evidence.

The seven exceptions are:
*** Exigent Circumstances ===> Mincey v. Arizona; Kentucky v. King
*** Search Incident to Lawful Arrest ===> United States v. Robinson; Chimel v. California; Arizona v. Gant; U.S. v. Gustafson; Thornton v. U.S; U.S. v. Johns; Florida v. Meyers
*** Consent ===> Schneckloth v. Bustamonte; Illinois v. Rodriguez; Georgia v. Randolph
*** Plain View ===> Horton v. California
*** Stop and Frisk ===> Terry v. Ohio
*** Impounded Vehicles Inventory ===> South Dakota v. Opperman
*** Motor Vehicle Exception ===> Carroll v. United States; New York v. Belton; Maryland v. Dyson

BTW, there are actually more than seven. These are the most often cited, but for more info see the pdf in the link below:

https://www.aclu.org/files/FilesPDFs/ALPR/oregon/Washington%20County%20Sheriff%27s%20Office/30012-30050%20Search%20and%20Seizure%20Field%20Guide.pdf
26. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 8:35PM EST
Ewok126 wrote:
Ahhh got ya, I had missed all that lol. Ok next question in the video She tells the officer she did not know. Was she not on the phone with admin to see if he could get what he needed or to see if he should have the warrant? Was she not trying to find out? Now I gots to go back and watch it again lmaooo.

Disclaimer: I'm a retired sheriff's deputy.

Not saying he was 100% correct, just that there are many dynamics at work.
27. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 9:04PM EST
Ewok126 wrote:

This reminds me of a case I worked. Was called to a school because a teacher, who a mandatory reporter, called in about one of her students. She told us that the child told her that the father of the child used and sold drugs in his presence.

Myself and a narcotics officer attempted to talk to the child who was 10 or 11. The principle tried to block a doorway to prevent us from interviewing the child. He said that we needed a parent present before we talked to the child. Very professionally we informed the principle that since the child was not suspected of criminal behavior it wasn't necessary to have a parent present. We also informed the principle that if it appeared that the child could become a subject of investigation at that point a parent would be required to have a parent present.

Then we informed the principle that this would be the only time we told him to step aside (he was being a complete a$$). That if he didn't he would be taken into custody for obstruction. He told us he was going to call the person in charge of school security. I pulled out my phone, speed dialed that person, put him on speaker and explained what we were doing. He told the principle that he would be wise to listen to us if he didn't want to be led out of the school in cuffs. The principle stepped out of the doorway.

Long story short, when we talked to the child. We found out all sorts of interesting information about the father. He was a well known dealer who was out of jail on bond for drug distribution offenses. He also had an outstanding warrant for new drug distribution related offenses committed while on bond.

We left the school and went to the child's house where we found the father. We arrested him on the warrant. When we did he was in possession a kilo of powder cocaine, a ziploc sandwich bag with 30 something individually wrapped rocks of crack cocaine and 6 or 7 eightballs (1/8 oz) of black tar heroin.

28. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 9:29PM EST
No cash ehh..?? Huh

Just kiddin... Laugh
29. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 9:41PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
This reminds me of a case I worked. Was called to a school because a teacher, who a mandatory reporter, called in about one of her students. She told us that the child told her that the father of the child used and sold drugs in his presence.

Myself and a narcotics officer attempted to talk to the child who was 10 or 11. The principle tried to block a doorway to prevent us from interviewing the child. He said that we needed a parent present before we talked to the child. Very professionally we informed the principle that since the child was not suspected of criminal behavior it wasn't necessary to have a parent present. We also informed the principle that if it appeared that the child could become a subject of investigation at that point a parent would be required to have a parent present.

Then we informed the principle that this would be the only time we told him to step aside (he was being a complete a$$). That if he didn't he would be taken into custody for obstruction. He told us he was going to call the person in charge of school security. I pulled out my phone, speed dialed that person, put him on speaker and explained what we were doing. He told the principle that he would be wise to listen to us if he didn't want to be led out of the school in cuffs. The principle stepped out of the doorway.

Long story short, when we talked to the child. We found out all sorts of interesting information about the father. He was a well known dealer who was out of jail on bond for drug distribution offenses. He also had an outstanding warrant for new drug distribution related offenses committed while on bond.

We left the school and went to the child's house where we found the father. We arrested him on the warrant. When we did he was in possession a kilo of powder cocaine, a ziploc sandwich bag with 30 something individually wrapped rocks of crack cocaine and 6 or 7 eightballs (1/8 oz) of black tar heroin.

I know I do not need to tell you how much I respect you. But if that was my kid, I'd be going completely berserk on you for not calling me in before you spoke to him/her.
And I know you well enough to be sure you understand.
30. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 9:57PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
I know I do not need to tell you how much I respect you. But if that was my kid, I'd be going completely berserk on you for not calling me in before you spoke to him/her.
And I know you well enough to be sure you understand.

Absolutely.

It was a dilemma no doubt. As such we were very careful about this. Based on the information the teacher provided we contacted our captain. We also told him how we planned to handle it. He green lighted everything.

In the end the only useful info we got from the child was his father's name. The first thing I did after he gave us his name was run his Dad through NCIC where we found the warrant. After that we didn't need to talk to the child anymore.

The dad was super pissed as well. His lawyer even tried to get everything suppressed. The trial judge, the appeals court and the state Supreme Court all ruled against him. They all ruled that a name is public information.
31. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 10:00PM EST
but then again, my child would not have told the teacher what this child said.
32. Author: MACSDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 10:06PM EST
frankj1 wrote:

How did you allow Anthony to use the wrong principal? Where are your principles?
33. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 10:09PM EST
frankj1 wrote:

Exactly
34. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 10:11PM EST
Had a similar thing go down when I was a kid but the kid caused the problem... It was during the summer so the principal prolly wasn't involved... The kid, about 10 I think, was selling his Dad's stash on da streets at very discounted prices and word got around fast.. he said his Dad had garbage bags full... Mellow
35. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 10:12PM EST
MACS wrote:
How did you allow Anthony to use the wrong principal? Where are your principles?

I shoulda caught that!
I even recall a teacher saying a way to remember the difference in this homonym...the school principal is your "pal"
36. Author: teedubbyaDate: Fri, 9/1/2017, 10:53PM EST
The Cop was wrong. Period.
37. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Fri, 9/1/2017, 11:09PM EST
So was Frank's teacher...
38. Author: victor809Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 12:22AM EST
I dunno. How close do you guys live to Utah?
39. Author: cacmanDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 2:06AM EST
teedubbya wrote:

Live next to Utah. It is a predominate Mormon State. The Officer was wrong! Both by State and Federal laws. Illegal search & seizure. The nurse performed her duties.
40. Author: victor809Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 3:25AM EST
Well... there we go. By cbid rules of decision-making unless someone actually lives in Utah cacman is right...
41. Author: SteveSDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:28AM EST
victor809 wrote:
... unless someone actually lives in Utah cacman is right...

Someone lives in Utah ... as a point of clear fact, approx. 3.1 million someones live there ...
42. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:36AM EST
Well, maybe the cop just wanted to test him for the hep... Mellow
43. Author: jespearDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:46AM EST
Well, HERE's an interesting alternate theory . . . d'oh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqI_Xewjywg

What say ye, frankj1 ?
Are the Jews REALLY the "spawn of Satan' ? Sarcasm
44. Author: SpeysideDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:54AM EST
Anthony, how would this have been an exigent circumstance?
45. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 8:53AM EST
Speyside wrote:
Anthony, how would this have been an exigent circumstance?

The human body metabolizes alcohol at a fairly constant pace. Had the officer waited evidence of impaired driving could have been lost. The SCOTUS ruling that has been referenced that supposedly made it illegal to draw blood absent of a warrant or consent actally set forth circumstances where it still permissible to collect blood without a warrant or consent.
46. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 8:57AM EST
cacman wrote:
Live next to Utah. It is a predominate Mormon State. The Officer was wrong! Both by State and Federal laws. Illegal search & seizure. The nurse performed her duties.

Maybe not. See post #20
47. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 8:58AM EST
teedubbya wrote:

See post 46
48. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 9:00AM EST
I'm guessing interpolation isn't good evidence..?? Huh
49. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 9:49AM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
So was Frank's teacher...

LOL - that was hilarious.
50. Author: cacmanDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:01AM EST
Abrignac wrote:
Maybe not. See post #20

My wife is a nurse. The cop was wrong.

As she said "After his unfair & illegal treatment of a nurse, let the officer come in now with a gun shot wound and see what kind of treatment he gets." He'll sit in the ER for 3 hours before anyone offers him an aspirin.
FirstPrev123NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic