Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev123NextLast
Utah nurse vs detective
101. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:09PM EST
Oh and here is another exception that should piss a few people off. It's called inevitable discovery. Basically it means that if police collect evidence without a warrant but can reasonably believe the evidence who have eventually come into the record then under certain circumstances they can collect it without a warrant and it is still admissible.

Post was edited
102. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:22PM EST
I actually have no problem with that and have seen it argued successfully... cops randomly drawing blood from non criminals who are not suspected of a crime and who have not given consent - never seen that one argued, let alone successfully, and have no reason to believe i ever will.... everyone except this cop, his boss, and you have given blanket condemnation to the actions of this officer...
103. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:28PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
Oh and here is another exception that should piss a few people off. It's called inevitable discovery. Basically it means that if police collect evidence without a warrant but can reasonably believe the evidence who have eventually come into the record then under certain circumstances they can collect it without a warrant and it is still admissible.

Post was edited

No issue from me.
104. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:34PM EST
late to the party...

are the cops trying to gather evidence that their unconscious brother/victim wasn't drunk, as opposed to properly investigating what occurred?

Lots of words tossed about. Would I receive the same effort if I had been the victim?
105. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:40PM EST
Dude. You are Frankie Tripod. We've all got you covered.
106. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:41PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
late to the party...

are the cops trying to gather evidence that their unconscious brother/victim wasn't drunk, as opposed to properly investigating what occurred?

Lots of words tossed about. Would I receive the same effort if I had been the victim?

This happened back in July. There is no doubt in my mind that many of the facts we know now weren't known as this was unfolding. I'm guessing that when the officer tried to collect the blood no one knew who was the suspect and who was the victim. I'm sure that at the time of the incident they were investigating per protocol.
107. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:43PM EST
Not what the cop said... he says he was trying to collect the blood sample to protect his fellow officer...
108. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:45PM EST
More importantly why would bond want the beretta over the walther. That's upsetting.
109. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:45PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
I actually have no problem with that and have seen it argued successfully... cops randomly drawing blood from non criminals who are not suspected of a crime and who have not given consent - never seen that one argued, let alone successfully, and have no reason to believe i ever will.... everyone except this cop, his boss, and you have given blanket condemnation to the actions of this officer...

What was known then is what is important. Have you considered that at the time of the incident the officer attempting to get the same dindn't have a clue that the guy on the table was a victim or a reserve officer?

BTW, I've never condemned the officer.
110. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:46PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
What was known then is what is important. Have you considered that at the time of the incident the officer attempting to get the same dindn't have a clue that the guy on the table was a victim or a reserve officer?

BTW, I've never condemned the officer.

I have lol.
111. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:47PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
Not what the cop said... he says he was trying to collect the blood sample to protect his fellow officer...

I've said many times I don't know all the specifics of the case. I've simply outlined circumstances where the officer could have been right.
112. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:50PM EST
Cut and paste

Paul Cassell, a criminal law professor at the University of Utah's S.J. Quinney College of Law, wrote in an opinion piece for The Salt Lake Tribune that state law doesn't permit a blood draw in this situation — especially since the blood was being sought to prove the patient was not under the influence.

Wubbels' attorney, Karra Porter, said the state's implied-consent law "has no relevance in this case whatsoever under anyone's interpretation. ... The officer here admitted on the video and to another officer on the scene that he knew there was no probable cause for a warrant."
113. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:51PM EST
But beretta over walther?
114. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:51PM EST
I know Anthony... there are lots and lots of stories out there with only small amounts of the available info... and no one has all the info....

Ultimately this cop and his boss are pieces of sh*t who are both currently suspended and who will both be without jobs by the end of the month.... i have no sympathy for them...
115. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:55PM EST
Abrig this does not contradict anything you say but draws a conclusion in this case. I think implied concent is the hinge. It does say there were no exigent circumstances.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2017/09/01/paul-cassell-cop-who-arrested-nurse-was-wrong-but-the-law-is-complicated/
116. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:09PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
Abrig this does not contradict anything you say but draws a conclusion in this case. I think implied concent is the hinge

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2017/09/01/paul-cassell-cop-who-arrested-nurse-was-wrong-but-the-law-is-complicated/

Implied consent isn't a factor. SCOTUS had made that clear in terms of blood tests since it's considered an invasive procedure. If that's his argument then he's wrong.

But that's not even the issue. This issue is whether or not he believed he had probable cause to arrest the nurse for obstructing him.

Even if that were the case I'm sure the judge would have dismissed charges but not before telling her to worry about being a nurse, leave police work to the police and let the court decide what evidence is admissible and what evidence is not.
117. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:10PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
I know Anthony... there are lots and lots of stories out there with only small amounts of the available info... and no one has all the info....

Ultimately this cop and his boss are pieces of sh*t who are both currently suspended and who will both be without jobs by the end of the month.... i have no sympathy for them...

Haven't heard that. Got a link?
118. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:12PM EST
Did you read the law professors editorial?

The cop was trying to use implied consent.

The nurse was in the right. This cop needs to go.
119. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:13PM EST
Abrignac wrote:

Two cops are suspended but I don't think it's the cops supervisor.

120. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:20PM EST
teedubbya wrote:

It was the nurse's lawyer who said the the officer was using implied consent.
121. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:28PM EST
Lol ok.

"The detective, who as following instructions from his watch commander, said he had “implied consent” to take the blood draw. "

Let's see how it plays out.
122. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:35PM EST
teedubbya wrote:

Just read it. But, his opinion doesn't address a few things. He says no exigent circumstances existed, yet he doesn't give a reason. Even if he wrongly thought implied consent was relevant if exigent circumstances existed it's still admissible.

SCOTUS has also ruled that officers acting on good faith based on information provided to them by other officiers generally can't be held accountable for mistakes.

Like I have said numerous times there are waaaay too many unanswered variables to reach an informed conclusion.
123. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:36PM EST
The cops attitude toward medical personnel is enough for me to fire him.

I think that law prof has a pretty good feel for the situation.
124. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:41PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
Two cops are suspended but I don't think it's the cops supervisor.

Might not be the supervisor but read something suggesting it was based on the words of the DA who ordered the criminal investigation (i think)...
125. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Sun, 9/3/2017, 12:43AM EST
Abrignac wrote:

"Police said Friday a second officer was also placed on paid leave. That officer has not been formally identified, but officials have said they also were reviewing the conduct of Payne's boss, a lieutenant who reportedly called for the arrest if Wubbels kept interfering."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/02/utah-cop-put-on-leave-after-bodycam-video-shows-him-cuffing-nurse-for-refusing-to-draw-blood-on-unconscious-patient.html
126. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 9/3/2017, 7:20AM EST
Think
So, would prying open the victims trunk (I know it was a truck but I'm pursuing the search and seizure thing) without consent be cool..?? Or would it happen and let the judge decide if it was cool or not..?? Mellow
127. Author: Mr. JonesDate: Sun, 9/3/2017, 7:51AM EST
REAGAN *****ED UP THE WHOLE SEARCH AND SEIZURE LAW....
HE TOOK AWAY EVERYONE'S RIGHTS....

THEN BUSH II PUT THE LAST NAIL IN EVERYONE'S COFFIN WITH THE PATRIOT ACT...

I SAY GET A WARRANT FOR EVERYTHING...LIKE IT USED TO BE...
AND ILLEGALLY RUFFIE-ING A SUSPECT's DRINK AND FRAMING HIM INTO A FALSE DUI CHARGE
RUINS ANY CASE FOREVER....
128. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 9/3/2017, 7:59AM EST
Think
Are you saying you were passed out and they put you behind the wheel..?? Or did you get ruffied and attempt to drive home..?? Huh
129. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sun, 9/3/2017, 8:22AM EST
That nurse is gonna be saying this...A LOT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs6kT_0H1MI

With all that mad cash she's going to get from suing that POS idiot hiding behind a badge!
130. Author: Mr. JonesDate: Sun, 9/3/2017, 10:57AM EST
#128 drafterx

What I am saying is....

Once you are RUFFIED ...by FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS ( who force early released excon felons to perform the actual act) ....
And that let you drive a vehicle...either watch you get in it or even help you get to your car???

They are GUILTY OF SEVERAL FELONY CRIMES AS WELL AS GROSS NEGLIGENCE AND ENDANGERING THE PUBLIC....

P.S. drafter...when you are ILLEGALLY RUFFIED...you lose all common sense, lose all memory of anything, lose control of all bodily functions and are in no shape to drive a car.
131. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 9/3/2017, 11:24AM EST
Sounds kinda messy to me... Mellow
132. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 9/3/2017, 11:43AM EST
same happens if you are legally ruffied too
tis the way of the ruffie
133. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 9/3/2017, 11:43AM EST
same happens if you are legally ruffied too
tis the way of the ruffie
134. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 9/3/2017, 11:44AM EST
see?
135. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 9/3/2017, 12:02PM EST
Think
So, if TW gets pulled over after drinking 17 beers at da pub he should chit his pants and claim he was ruffied..?? Huh
136. Author: HomebrewDate: Sun, 9/3/2017, 1:22PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
Before everyone gets butthurt it would be prudent to know why a warrant may not have been required.

So before anyone Monday morning quarterbacks this a question needs to be addressed. Did the officer have a reasonable belief that exigent circumstances existed? If so, he did nothing wrong. With the limited information available, it's impossible to determine how this will end.

The SCOTUS has carved out 6 (I think) situations where a warrant isn't needed to collect evidence.

The accident had already happened. There was no one in danger of being injured, so that argument would be invalid.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)Beer
137. Author: cacmanDate: Tue, 9/5/2017, 8:52AM EST
The officer (Payne) was wrong in illegally detaining a civilian, and has been put on leave. Although trained as a phlebotomist, he was also removed from that detail. A second officer put on paid leave has not been officially identified, but officials have said they were reviewing the conduct of Payne's boss.

Utah hospital to update policy after nurse arrest
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/utah-hospital-to-update-policy-after-nurse-arrest-1.3574684
Hospital CEO Gordon Crabtree said changes took effect in August that allow only senior nursing supervisors to speak with law enforcement and ban conversations with police in patient care areas.

"It's like seeing a picture or actually visiting a place -- it's completely different," the police chief said. "It was clear that the arrest was completely mishandled and was inappropriate and didn't need to happen. She had done everything she possibly could to make that situation work and she wasn't rewarded for that."
138. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 9/5/2017, 12:22PM EST
this an an example of bad cases making bad rules...banning conversations with police in patient areas and allowing only nursing supervisors to speak to police officers can/will have negative consequences...

think about all the interactions between nurses and police and split-second decisions that have to be made in the ER...
139. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 9/5/2017, 12:28PM EST
One thing I'm wondering about is why cops need to be phlebotomist... If this Detective hadn't been checked out or certified he prolly would have accepted the nurse's stance.. it's like he just wanted to stick the guy and got mad when he was told no... Mellow
140. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 9/5/2017, 12:36PM EST
It's an evidence thing...many cases where the blood of a victim or a suspect in a serious crime has tremendous evidentiary value...it is a lot quicker and more efficient to have some officers trained to draw blood rather than having to wait for an EMT or nurse and paying for that service...

...as standard practice, in many large city department jails, there are trained blood drawers because many DUI suspects want blood tests instead of breathalyzer or urine...seems to be a myth that it'll take awhile to get the blood sample and BAC will diminish over time, so perps opt for that...
141. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 9/5/2017, 12:43PM EST
I wonder if he took blood from the dead guy at the scene.... Mellow
142. Author: teedubbyaDate: Fri, 9/8/2017, 11:38PM EST
Looks like the FBI is now involved. This cop was a complete moron from what I've been reading.

He's got to go.

143. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/9/2017, 8:10PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
One thing I'm wondering about is why cops need to be phlebotomist... If this Detective hadn't been checked out or certified he prolly would have accepted the nurse's stance.. it's like he just wanted to stick the guy and got mad when he was told no... Mellow

Because medical personnel are increasingly refusing to draw the blood even when a warrant is present. It's not against the las to refuse to draw the blood. So many jurisdictions are simply training officers to do it to avoid exactly what this thread is about.
144. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/9/2017, 8:13PM EST
cacman wrote:
The officer (Payne) was wrong in illegally detaining a civilian, and has been put on leave. Although trained as a phlebotomist, he was also removed from that detail. A second officer put on paid leave has not been officially identified, but officials have said they were reviewing the conduct of Payne's boss.

Utah hospital to update policy after nurse arrest
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/utah-hospital-to-update-policy-after-nurse-arrest-1.3574684
Hospital CEO Gordon Crabtree said changes took effect in August that allow only senior nursing supervisors to speak with law enforcement and ban conversations with police in patient care areas.

"It's like seeing a picture or actually visiting a place -- it's completely different," the police chief said. "It was clear that the arrest was completely mishandled and was inappropriate and didn't need to happen. She had done everything she possibly could to make that situation work and she wasn't rewarded for that."

That policy leads to exactly what happened. The policy itself creates and adversarial climate.
145. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/9/2017, 8:14PM EST
Homebrew wrote:
The accident had already happened. There was no one in danger of being injured, so that argument would be invalid.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)Beer

Nonsense
146. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sun, 9/10/2017, 2:34AM EST
The more I read the less defendable this guys actions were. Gots to go.
147. Author: Ewok126Date: Sun, 9/10/2017, 8:19AM EST
teedubbya wrote:
The more I read the less defendable this guys actions were. Gots to go.

This guys actions was not defend-able from the get go.
148. Author: cacmanDate: Wed, 10/11/2017, 9:12AM EST
Utah officer fired for handcuffing, dragging screaming nurse out of hospital
http://abcnews.go.com/US/utah-officer-fired-handcuffing-dragging-screaming-nurse-hospital/story?id=50407897

The Salt Lake City police officer featured in a widely viewed video aggressively handcuffing a hospital nurse who refused his request to draw blood from an unconscious patient without a warrant was fired on Tuesday.

The Salt Lake City Police Department said it fired Det. Jeff Payne after an internal investigation found he violated department policy when he arrested University of Utah Hospital nurse Alex Wubbels on July 26.

"I have lost faith and confidence in your ability to continue to serve as a member of the Salt Lake City Police Department," Salt Lake Police Chief Mike Brown wrote in a letter notifying Payne of the termination.

"I am deeply troubled by your lack of sound, professional judgment and your discourteous, disrespectful and unwarranted behavior, which unnecessarily escalated a situation that could and should have been resolved in a manner far different from the course of action you chose to pursue," Brown continued, according to a copy of the letter obtained by the Deseret News Tuesday.

Payne’s supervisor, James Tracy, was demoted two ranks from lieutenant to the rank of police officer over his role in the arrest. Brown said Tracy made an impulsive decision when he ordered Payne to arrest Wubbels without "fully understanding the nature of the situation and, as such, violated policy," according to his disciplinary letter, which was also obtained by the Deseret News.

The incident sparked a national conversation about the use of police force and prompted Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski and Brown to personally apologize to Wubbels.

Payne’s attorney, Greg Skordas, said his client plans to appeal the firing, which he called unfair and over the top, according to The Associated Press. Skordas said Payne would still be employed if the body camera footage hadn't generated so much attention and blown the events out of proportion, the AP reported.

Wubbels recounted her experience in a September interview with ABC News.

She said the situation escalated as she tried to explain why she wouldn't allow the patient's blood to be drawn unless he was under arrest or if there was a police warrant.

Moreover, when Wubbels defended the hospital's policy, buttressed by a 2016 Supreme Court ruling citing that warrantless blood draws are a direct violation of the Fourth Amendment, she was rebuffed.

"I either go away with blood in vials or body in tow. That's my only choices. I'm going to follow my boss's instructions," Payne is heard saying in the bodycam video.

"I just said, 'Look, I'm sorry, we can't let you do this at this time,'" Wubbels told ABC News in an interview where she was joined by her attorney Karra Porter. "And [Payne] just got up and said, 'You're not sorry!'

"Right then he was on this war path," she added.

In the video, which Wubbels said her attorneys received through a public records request, Payne is heard declaring, "We're done!" and Wubbels wails as she's dragged outside of the hospital in handcuffs.

"I think I was able to keep my cool pretty well, because I knew I was in a tough situation," she said, noting that she continued to refer to the officer as "sir" even as he dragged her out of the hospital.
149. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 10/11/2017, 11:32AM EST
Ever any comments from the unconscious dude..?? Huh
150. Author: cacmanDate: Tue, 10/31/2017, 10:14PM EST
Utah nurse arrested by police reaches $500K settlement
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/358121-utah-nurse-arrested-by-police-reaches-500k-settlement
FirstPrev123NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic