Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev123NextLast
Utah nurse vs detective
51. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 11:10AM EST
Dated a nurse years ago.. she used to say somethin similar.. used to brag about getting off with warnings instead of getting tickets or busted... Mellow
52. Author: delta1Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 12:54PM EST
The unconscious victim was a reserve police officer and the Det. was trying to obtain a blood sample to protect him. The other driver in the accident was a fleeing felon, who died in the crash. No apparent exigent circumstances...no on-going risk to life...only an ego contest...

The article quotes the Det. later, after the arrest, saying about his off-duty job driving an ambulance that he'll only bring transients to the hospital, not good patients. Insight into his character...this is an example of a cop in the wrong, getting backing from above, trying to throw his authority around, and when confronted by someone in the right, compounding his mistake by making another one and arresting the nurse. Sometimes bad cops make Detective, otherwise known as d*cks...

This prolly would not have happened if the unconscious victim was just another truck driver, but this one was a reserve police officer...

...it's situations and behaviors like this that can lead to SCOTUS decisions that draw lines around how police may and may not act in service to the community...but it is doubtful that his department would argue in his defense all the way to the SCOTUS.
53. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 1:12PM EST
Here's what I see........an unconscious patient in the care of the hospital.

A nurse protecting an unconscious patient in her hospitals care.

An over zealous cop with no regard for set policy on someone elses turf,who btw thinks he is above the law.No regard whatsoever for individual or collective rights.

A cop who should lose his job based on what I saw.

A nurse who will probably never have to work again should she choose that route.
54. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 1:14PM EST
MACS wrote:
LOL - that was hilarious.

just saw it...hysterical for sure
55. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 1:17PM EST
jespear wrote:
Well, HERE's an interesting alternate theory . . . d'oh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqI_Xewjywg

What say ye, frankj1 ?
Are the Jews REALLY the "spawn of Satan' ? Sarcasm

too late, removed for violating youtube's policies against bullying and harassment

but, Hell Yeah!
56. Author: danmdevriesDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 2:57PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
Dated a nurse years ago.. she used to say somethin similar.. used to brag about getting off with warnings instead of getting tickets or busted... Mellow

It's helped me a couple times.

I once got a ticket though when I was responding to emergency page from the hospital when there was a snow related travel ban. Cop said emergency vehicles only. Showed him my badge and the page. He said no lights on your roof, not an emergency vehicle. I took ticket and proceeded down the road to the hospital. Judge threw it out.
57. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 3:13PM EST
You shoulda showed him your boobs... Mellow
58. Author: danmdevriesDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 3:21PM EST
Next time
59. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 3:45PM EST
danmdevries wrote:
It's helped me a couple times.

I once got a ticket though when I was responding to emergency page from the hospital when there was a snow related travel ban. Cop said emergency vehicles only. Showed him my badge and the page. He said no lights on your roof, not an emergency vehicle. I took ticket and proceeded down the road to the hospital. Judge threw it out.

Pretty chiken chit ticket. I've stopped numerous health care professionals. Never gave any of them a ticket.
60. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 5:48PM EST
I saw post 20.

The cop was wrong period.
61. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 5:57PM EST
Hope the dude loses his job and gets dinged for unlawful arrest or whatever. We need **** like that weeded out of the force for the sake of the good cops.
62. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:16PM EST
Rewatching it both of those cops are on the wrong side of the badge and need to find new employment
63. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:24PM EST
RIGBY — On July 26 of this year, one of our reserve officers, William Gray, was the victim in a horrific accident in northern Utah while working his full-time job as a truck driver.

The suspect in this incident was fleeing from Utah State Highway Patrol, when he crossed into oncoming traffic and collided head on with Gray’s truck, severely injuring Gray and killing himself. Officer Gray was flown to the University of Utah’s burn unit where he remains under their watchful, professional, and competent care.

Within the first hours of Officer Gray being admitted into the burn unit, an incident occurred between hospital staff and an officer from an agency in Utah who was assisting with the investigation.

The Rigby Police Department was not aware of this incident until Aug. 31, 2017.

The Rigby Police Department would like to thank the nurse involved and hospital staff for standing firm and protecting Officer Gray’s rights as a patient and victim. Protecting the rights of others is truly a heroic act.

The Rigby Police Department would also like to acknowledge the hard work of the involved agencies, and trusts that this unfortunate incident will be investigated thoroughly and appropriate action will be taken.

It is important to remember that Officer Gray is the victim in this horrible event, and that at no time was he under any suspicion of wrongdoing.

As he continues to heal, we would ask that his family be given privacy, respect, and prayers for continued recovery and peace.

64. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:27PM EST
^ yeah that's my issue here.....

Why in the holy **** were they trying to protect the criminal that caused the wreck? I don't see any good motive on this one. The guy thy were trying to collect from was A VICTIM.
65. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:28PM EST
Didn't bother watching the video. It's been my experience that they rarely show the entire story. I'd like to see this fully play out. For the life of me, I can't understand why an officer would arrest an ER nurse for obstruction legally justifiable or not. It really makes no sense. Certainly he was aware of the fallout in doing so even if he was justified in doing it. Even if he is completely ate up with dumb-ass, he would know there would be extreme scrutiny.

LEO's have wide latitude and are generally held harmless if they are faithfully carrying out their official duty.

This basically turned into a pissing match. I'd like to know why before I cast judgement.
66. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:29PM EST
Did you catch the cop saying he was a sick of the hospital pulling this ****. These were two cops who were sick of their authority being questioned in any way. They got to go. Too many like them and omertà protects them.
67. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:30PM EST
I'm casting judgement. Got to go.
68. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:32PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
I'm casting judgement. Got to go.

ba bye
69. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:33PM EST
The attitude and the way the talked to medical personnel is good enough reason for me. Find new employment little napoleon
70. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:34PM EST
Anthony. Reading the news article is more informative than the video.

71. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:36PM EST
Lol. I had a bad experience with a handful of authoritarian freaks with badges that were too testosteroned up to be logical until it was obvious they were wrong and even in their oopsy daisy moment they couldn't admit how stupid and unnecessarily aggressive they were acting. They just couldn't be wrong.

There was one reasonable one there and he mentioned they were acting like thugs but there was nothing he could do. When I asked him why he said he had to work with them. In the end nothing came about it but they acted like a legalized gang.

I probably had recourse but my gut said get as far away as I could from the lying sobs.

They do have each other's backs.... right or wrong...
72. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:48PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
Did you catch the cop saying he was a sick of the hospital pulling this ****. These were two cops who were sick of their authority being questioned in any way. They got to go. Too many like them and omertà protects them.

You're casting judgement without any idea of the circumstances. I certainly hope you aren't so naive to believe that because someone gets catch on tape in a moment of frustration that person is a bad person. How many times have you gotten pissed because a piece of red tape blocked you from doing your job?

There have been numerous times when ER staff pissed me off. They have a job to do and policy to follow. However, when that conflicts with an officer's responsibility under "color of law" then problems arise.

As far as the police department issuing an apology, that seem like a knee jerk reaction. An officer gets caught on tape in a situation that makes the department look bad. Their political reaction is to apologize so it looks like a rotten apple gone rouge and not an implication of the department especially with the current anti-police narrative.

Unless you have some inside, no-public information, you're make an uninformed decision.

If the officer was wrong, then he should disciplined. I support that as much as anyone. But as I recall, the officer from up near you who was demonized for shooting an unarmed angel in the back who had his hands up. Once it was determined that the angel's DNA was all over the front seat of the police car we realized this gentle giant that was not shot in the back was actually shot while attacking a police officer.

I prefer to presume someone's innocence until proven guilty. Based on your experience in the racing van, I would think you would feel the same way.
73. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:50PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
Anthony. Reading the news article is more informative than the video.

FWIW, I would much rather read an un-biased investigation file than rely on an un-vetted media opinion.
74. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:52PM EST
The attitude alone was enough for me and telling.

But Zrx is right the video alone doesn't give the picture. You need to read everything else as well. Looks like a criminal investigation in to the policeman has been initiated. He is innocent until proven guilty criminally. But that's just criminally.

But based on how he treated hospital staff and attitude alone he needs to find other work.
75. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 6:54PM EST
I've never manhandled anyone over red tape or frustration and would expect more when given authority. And it wasn't just the nurse. She was the messenger and it was clear it was the hospital itself. She was more than reasonable and rational. I am surprised the body cams were on.

I liked the lecture about they could do things that might be unlawful but it will be handled civilly later. I.e. Unlimited authority sort it out later. That was nice. The fact they knew they had no probable cause and said so was interesting too.

I get what you are saying abrig and respect your opinion and where you come from. Maybe you should watch it and see if you take any issue with how he handled it.

I'm fairly sure I don't want police acting like that towards medical personnel regardless of their frustration, guilty of any crime or not.
76. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:19PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
I've never manhandled anyone over red tape or frustration and would expect more when given authority. I am surprised the body cams were on.

I liked the lecture about the could do things that might be unlawful but it will be handled civilly later. That was nice.

Like I said, I didn't watch the video. What occurred that caused people to feel the need to record is paramount. If the nurse obstructed the officer who was legeally performing the duties of his office then he has probable cause to arrest her, PERIOD

Quote:
2010 Utah Code
Title 76 - Utah Criminal Code
Chapter 08 - Offenses Against the Administration of Government
(1) An actor commits obstruction of justice if the actor, with intent to hinder, delay, or prevent the investigation, apprehension, prosecution, conviction, or punishment of any person regarding conduct that constitutes a criminal offense:
(b) prevents by force, intimidation, or deception, any person from performing any act that might aid in the discovery, apprehension, prosecution, conviction, or punishment of any person;
(ii) a first degree felony if the penalty provided includes life imprisonment with parole or a maximum term of imprisonment exceeding 15 years;
(iii) a second degree felony if the penalty provided exceeds five years;
(iv) a third degree felony if the penalty provided includes imprisonment for any period exceeding one year; and
(v) a misdemeanor if the penalty provided includes imprisonment for any period of one year or less.

Amended by Chapter 213, 2009 General Session

As stated above the SCOTUS has never made unwarranted collection of blood unconstitutional. It has however, very narrowly defined under what circumstances it is permissible. One such circumstance is if a person is unable to consent. The person from whom the blood was drawn was unconscious at the time and therefore unable to consent.

At the time this occurred the officer in question, a trained phlebotomist, was at the hospital to collect a blood sample, which more than likely is protocol in a motor vehicle crash fatality. Why does the police department even need phlebotomists? Have they had difficulties in the past with ER staff refusing to draw blood? Did she try to prevent him from carrying out his lawful duties? If she did, then she's subject t to arrest. Did he man handle her when he arrested her? Still haven't watched the video, but did she resist him when he tried to arrest her? I seriously doubt his initial attempt at arrest was to body slam her.

Not at all trying to defend the officer, but I find it very difficult to make a rational decision based on a video that certainly doesn't capture the lead up and a media article.

The fact that the agency apologized means absolutely nothing to me. In my experience I've seen numerous politicians apologize for doing the right thing because of the wind direction.

77. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:20PM EST
I'll break down and watch the video.
78. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:24PM EST
It would be nice to know why he wanted the blood in the first place... Mellow
79. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:28PM EST
It was body cam recordings.
80. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:33PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
It would be nice to know why he wanted the blood in the first place... Mellow

More than likely when the request was made, they didn't know 1) who caused the accident and 2) they didn't realize the unconscious guy was a reserve police officer.
81. Author: danmdevriesDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:41PM EST
Haven't watched the video. Lived the life long enough.

Under arrest, you can draw that blood. I'll draw and give results if requested.

Got a warrant? I'll draw that blood and give printed resilts.

No warrant? Ill draw the sample you want while we wait for a warrant but I'm not giving you results until I get the paperwork. I'll help you but I gotta protect me.
82. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 7:53PM EST
danmdevries wrote:
Haven't watched the video. Lived the life long enough.

Under arrest, you can draw that blood. I'll draw and give results if requested.

Got a warrant? I'll draw that blood and give printed resilts.

No warrant? Ill draw the sample you want while we wait for a warrant but I'm not giving you results until I get the paperwork. I'll help you but I gotta protect me.

Good advice, but he didn't need her to draw the blood, he was a licensed phlebotomist. Something is missing
83. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 8:00PM EST
Not under arrest
Could not consent
No warrant, no probable cause to get one per the cop.

Dan you'd have gone to the car.
84. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 8:06PM EST
^yup
85. Author: SpeysideDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 8:35PM EST
Anthony, if the reserve officer had been conscious and would not give his consent what would have happened?
86. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 8:43PM EST
The sad part is it sounds like blood had already been drawn.
87. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 9:13PM EST
Speyside wrote:
Anthony, if the reserve officer had been conscious and would not give his consent what would have happened?

In that situation, he is able to consent but declines. The officer can still legally collect the evidence even if it's later ruled inadmissible. Anyone who interferes can still be arrested for obstruction. Just because they are released at a later time doesn't entitle them to a judgement for false arrest. Key is whether or not a judge rules the officer could reasonably believe he was performing a lawful duty.

It's important to remember the officer himself could have drawn the sample. If that was the case and the nurse interfered, then as distasteful as some would believe, the officer did nothing illegal.
88. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 9:17PM EST
Deleted my post. I think I'm wrong about a Utah law.
89. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 9:29PM EST
See post #76.

I don't think I'm in the minority, I know I am.

Really a crappy situation, but it is what it is. This could have been avoided. I still want to know whether or not the nurse tried to stop the officer from drawing the blood. If she did, oh well. She should have let the court decide whether are not the blood evidence was admissible.
90. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 9:33PM EST
I sure read BIRCHFIELD VS North Dakota differently than you do.

They already had blood in the end. No need to draw. But as the other cop shop indicated in their press statement the nurse did her duty protecting her patient. I agree with their take (which also says wait for the investigation).

This cop is bad news. Fire him at a minimum. If convicted after an investigation make him wear his uniform in the pokey lol.

I'd guess the only jr lawyer worse than a policeman is someone who reads and writes regs for a living lol
91. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 9:46PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
I sure read BIRCHFIELD VS North Dakota differently than you do.

how so?

from page 34 of that decision

Quote:
One advantage of blood tests is their ability to detect not
just alcohol but also other substances that can impair a
driver’s ability to operate a car safely.
6. A breath test cannot do this, but police
have other measures at their disposal when they have
reason to believe that a motorist may be under the influ­
ence of some other substance (for example, if a breath test
indicates that a clearly impaired motorist has little if any
alcohol in his blood). Nothing prevents the police from
seeking a warrant for a blood test when there is sufficient
time to do so in the particular circumstances or from
relying on the exigent circumstances exception to the
warrant requirement when there is not.

from page 35 of that decision:

Quote:
It is true that a blood test, unlike a breath test, may be
administered to a person who is unconscious (perhaps as a
result of a crash) or who is unable to do what is needed to
take a breath test due to profound intoxication or injuries.
But we have no reason to believe that such situations are
common in drunk-driving arrests, and when they arise,
the police may apply for a warrant if need be.

92. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Sat, 9/2/2017, 9:51PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
In that situation, he is able to consent but declines. The officer can still legally collect the evidence even if it's later ruled inadmissible. Anyone who interferes can still be arrested for obstruction. Just because they are released at a later time doesn't entitle them to a judgement for false arrest. Key is whether or not a judge rules the officer could reasonably believe he was performing a lawful duty.

It's important to remember the officer himself could have drawn the sample. If that was the case and the nurse interfered, then as distasteful as some would believe, the officer did nothing illegal.

You are 100% wrong.... an individual who is not under arrest and has not given consent and when there is no probable cause, an officer is absolutely in violation of the law if he proceeds to take blood anyway.... i don't know how you can think there is a different answer to that...
93. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 9:57PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
You are 100% wrong.... an individual who is not under arrest and has not given consent and when there is no probable cause, an officer is absolutely in violation of the law if he proceeds to take blood anyway.... i don't know how you can think there is a different answer to that...

This isn't an arrest. It's a search and seizure. The SCOTUS had created numerous exceptions to the need for a warrant. Exigent circumstances is one of them.
94. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 9:58PM EST
I get what you are saying but the slant is somewhat different. I think you are trying to read it with as much leeway to the police as possible, but I don't think the courts will read it that way.

A warrant would be needed unless exigent circumstances exist. It seems to me you lean towards exigent circumstances always or almost always exist. alcohol burning off is not considered an exigent circumstance in and of itself and is on a case by case basis rather than blanket. It seems to me you are trying to apply it as a blanket.

I think it's the exact opposite, you have to establish that. In this case the cops themselves say there was no probable cause and the could not get a warrant. The patient could not consent. The patient was not under arrest. I dont see anywhere to even suspect the victim was under the influence of alcohol which is why the police said they could not get a warrant. To claim exigent circumstances here would require quite a bit of work unless you consider it a blanket excuse. Which it is not.
95. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:00PM EST
Joel, an entire month in the academy I attended is devoted to search and seizure. You really would be surprised and quite pissed if you really knew under what circumstances evidence can be collected without a warrant.
96. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:03PM EST
Why did they need to search or seize anything from an unconscious victim of a car crash..?? Huh
97. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:04PM EST
But exigent circumstances has limitations police often don't want to recognize. It's not a blanket do what you want if you throw out the suggestion that alcohol is involved(because the body is destroying the evidence).

But again there is nothing pointing to alcohol being involved at all. This is a blanket evidence gathering thing.

Sorry. The nurse and hospital were right in my mind and I'm pretty sure that's where this lands. We will find out. Popo will be lucky if she doesn't sue. I doubt criminal charges, and they should be fired.
98. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:04PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
Why did they need to search or seize anything from an unconscious victim of a car crash..?? Huh

They are fishing, and exigent circumstances is a huge reach here.
99. Author: AbrignacDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:06PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
I get what you are saying but the slant is somewhat different. I think you are trying to read it with as much leeway to the police as possible, but I don't think the courts will read it that way.

A warrant would be needed unless exigent circumstances exist. It seems to me you lean towards exigent circumstances always or almost always exist. alcohol burning off is not considered an exigent circumstance in and of itself and is on a case by case basis rather than blanket. It seems to me you are trying to apply it as a blanket.

I think it's the exact opposite, you have to establish that. In this case the cops themselves say there was no probable cause and the could not get a warrant. The patient could not consent. The patient was not under arrest. I dont see anywhere to even suspect the victim was under the influence of alcohol which is why the police said they could not get a warrant. To claim exigent circumstances here would require quite a bit of work unless you consider it a blanket excuse. Which it is not.

Not being familiar with what they said I can't speak to that. As far as exigent circumstances its actually a case by case decision based on the totality of the circumstances.

Why did the officer say he couldn't get a warrant? Do we actually know the reason or we that assume he knew it wouldn't fly? I seriously doubt that to be the case. If so, he should not only be fired, but he his parents and any offspring should be exterminated so as to not taint (C what I did) the gene pool which such incredibly stupid DNA.
100. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 9/2/2017, 10:08PM EST
He said to the other cop (body cam) they woukd not get a warrant because they did not have probable cause.

There was no reason to compel a blood draw or the compel them access to their patient to do so. That's the problem. Looking for a way to accomplish it without good reason because you want it is problematic especially if you are going to use things like exigent circumstances to do so. The dude even explained the courts might throw it out later but that's not her concern. Access to her patient certainly is.

For the record I've not heard them claiming exigent circumstances so it's a theoretical thing at this point.

And.... it looks like blood was already drawn (duh. Burn victim in accident) so it would move towards getting a warrant for the results (again said by cop2) and no evidence is getting destroyed.

This cop is dumb and wreck less. He heard it as no and got pissed. Cops don't have to take no. Cop 2 was a little smarter and said they should have talked more and it could have been settled instead of her saying no.

It's all about no.

I'm watching dr no right now. Did you know bond preferred a beretta but was forced to use walther?
FirstPrev123NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic