Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev123NextLast
Time, space, and matter...
51. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:16PM EST
Who created life, if not God, man should be able to create life. To that point I offer this:

The Contest

One day a group of scientists got together and decided that man had come a long way and no longer needed God. So they picked one scientist to go and tell Him that they were done with Him. The scientist walked up to God and said, "God, we've decided that we no longer need you. We're to the point that we can clone people and do many miraculous things, so why don't you just go on and get lost."

God listened very patiently and kindly to the man and after the scientist was done talking, God said, "Very well, how about this, let's say we have a man making contest." To which the scientist replied, "OK, great!" But God added, "Now, we're going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam." The scientist said, "Sure, no problem" and bent down and grabbed himself a handful of dirt. God just looked at him and said, "No, no, no. You must make your own dirt!"
52. Author: cacmanDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:23PM EST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUOGxePBs50
53. Author: SpeysideDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:27PM EST
I think the mechanism is very straight forward. You either believe in God or you do not. There is no absolute proof of God's existence or God's non existence. All of the above posts are an example of that. It is what each of you think. I am good with the fact that there are an unlimited number of ideas about God. I agree with Victor that an atheist does not have faith. I think an empirical belief would be more accurate. Though I know I am reaching when I say that. If God exists there will never be a way to prove it. To me believing in God is a leap of faith. You don't need empirical evidence to prove your belief, you have faith that you are correct.
54. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:31PM EST
Gene363 wrote:
Who created life, if not God, man should be able to create life. To that point I offer this:

To claim that if we cannot replicate what we are estimating occurred over billions of years is evidence of an outside party is simply poor logic.

That's like saying if you, as a man, can't give birth, women must not exist.
55. Author: jjaneckaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:36PM EST
Victor, everything the Church teaches hinges on creation. Not just in the beginning but throughout the entirety of history. It's not so much that creation is the linchpin but moreso the statement of what God did.
56. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:40PM EST
jjanecka wrote:
Victor, everything the Church teaches hinges on creation. Not just in the beginning but throughout the entirety of history. It's not so much that creation is the linchpin but moreso the statement of what God did.

I don't disagree at all.
But that doesn't absolve the religion of logic. If not having identified what the universe looked like prior to the "big bang" (or other initiation event) is evidence enough for the religious minded to not believe in it, then they should also be questioning similar initiation events surrounding their deity. What came before god, so to speak. How was god created. The idea of "eternal" flies in the face of simple entropy. What I'm getting at is simply that the same questions the religious minded think are "gotcha" questions surrounding science really can be applied just as well to any religious faith. They just refuse to apply them.
57. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:42PM EST
jjanecka wrote:

What does the church say about who created God?

Does God just have dominion over this universe, or does he have dominion over all universes?

If just this universe, that would imply there exists more than one god, doesn't that contradict monotheism?

Define "the beginning".
58. Author: BuckyB93Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:45PM EST
Pascal's Wager
59. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:54PM EST
http://blogs.cornell.edu/info2040/2011/11/14/is-pascals-wager-an-appropriate-use-of-game-theory/
60. Author: RMAN4443Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 3:22PM EST
victor809 wrote:
I don't disagree at all.
But that doesn't absolve the religion of logic. If not having identified what the universe looked like prior to the "big bang" (or other initiation event) is evidence enough for the religious minded to not believe in it, then they should also be questioning similar initiation events surrounding their deity. What came before god, so to speak. How was god created. The idea of "eternal" flies in the face of simple entropy. What I'm getting at is simply that the same questions the religious minded think are "gotcha" questions surrounding science really can be applied just as well to any religious faith. They just refuse to apply them.

I went to Catholic School in Jr. High and elementary School........in Jr. High I had Earth Science at 9:45 and Religion class at 10:45........I spent many hours in detention and the Mother Superior's office for asking those questions......Science teacher was a lay person and answered questions with scientific answers, and Religion class was taught by a nun who answered all questions religiously........no one could ever tell me how God came to be, only that God was a Supreme being and created the world in seven days........????????
Nowadays, while I'm not overly religious, my philosophy is more of a "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". I believe there is something more powerful than man in this universe, but I can't prove it........I just try to be a good person to others, charitable when I can be, and to live my life as a "good" person........not that it always works out that way, but hey, I'm human.........Pray Anxious
61. Author: tailgaterDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 3:25PM EST
dstieger wrote:
I was with you right up until the last sentence...because I think that it applies to everyone

The religious right, for sure.
But atheists, by definition, feel a need to prove it.

Most Americans embrace religion only as tightly as they embrace their elderly aunts during the holidays.

62. Author: tailgaterDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 3:28PM EST
bgz wrote:
I have no qualms with what people of faith believe in. Because I choose to not have faith in a deity does not imply that I GAF what you believe in.

Also, as I've stated in the past, I do believe that the standard model of physics is missing things and that some of it could just be flat out wrong. Though I do have faith in the good scientists putting their heart and soul into advancing our scientific knowledge. I believe that in time our knowledge of the way the universe works will get better due to the hard work of all the dedicated scientists out there.

So to say that we have no faith is inaccurate, everyone has faith in something.

I choose to believe in the hard working people out there trying to expand our collective knowledge.

But you are treating religious faith and science as opposing forces.

Why can't science be correct, AND an intelligent creator be responsible?

Not saying that's my interpretation, but it's the most clear cut way to explain it.
63. Author: tailgaterDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 3:35PM EST
Although I've defended my faith on occasion, I've NEVER told a non-believer that they were wrong or stupid simply because they didn't believe.

How many atheists can say the same?

64. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 3:53PM EST
All the above sounds wrong and stupid.
65. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 3:53PM EST
tailgater wrote:

Most Americans embrace religion only as tightly as they embrace their elderly aunts during the holidays.

THAT was funny...
66. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 4:10PM EST
tailgater wrote:
But you are treating religious faith and science as opposing forces.

Am I? I don't recall an us vs them argument.

tailgater wrote:
Why can't science be correct, AND an intelligent creator be responsible?

For one, science is the act of formulating and testing theories, so by it's very nature, the act of science is attempting to prove theories wrong, not trying to prove them to be correct. The idea is to test to see if the reality matches predictions, then to retest against other predictions until something doesn't match, then back to the drawing board, rinse and repeat.

As far as an intelligent creator being responsible, there's no way we can prove/disprove it so why waste brain power on it?

67. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 4:37PM EST
So I watched the video. Figured I may as well since I'm commenting on the thread.

It's dumb.

It isn't saying anything at all. Just saying "god is outside of all this" doesn't actually answer any questions. It doesn't define anything. It is by nature of the answer waving ones hands in the air and saying "everything is answered by the fact that it's god!".

I understand that for those who are willing to make that leap of faith that their "god" is "god" this is an appropriate answer. It has to be. Otherwise you don't have sufficient faith.
But those of you who have that amount of faith absolutely have to also understand that what he is saying is absolute gibberish if you take out the fundamental assumption that your god is "god".

The biggest problem I've had with these sort of arguments is that there is no defining characteristics.
Christians are sure it's their deity, as defined in their bible which exists outside of the universe.
So are all the other religions.

The definable qualities of this "god" is that it's "outside of the universe" and therefore cannot be quantified or measured or subjected to any laws of our universe.

Every "god" has that quality. Including gods which have not been defined by christiantiy. There is an infinite number of potential religions (including one which is exactly like christiantiy, but god is left handed, or one which demands all of you give victor all your money while you are on the mortal plane) which fit that quality.

His argument is neither a defense of this external deity, nor is it an argument that his external deity has any more probability of existence than any other random creation of rules.
68. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 4:40PM EST
God can't be left-handed... That's absurd.. Not talking
69. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 4:47PM EST
Why would such a being have hands when he can move sh1t with his mind?
70. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 4:49PM EST
bgz wrote:
Why would such a being have hands when he can move sh1t with his mind?

S$$t... are you kidding me?
Having hands is one of the only defining characteristics christians bothered giving their god. "made man in his image"?
71. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 4:52PM EST
Of course... that's funny too. and additional evidence that this guy in the debate was just talking out of his azz.
Because for god to have made man in his image, you need to have an image. That requires "matter". There has to be a way of measuring a thing for there to be a thing ...

You can't say god is outside of space, time and matter, and also have a religion which states we were made to look like the god.

But that's just one more in the millions of inconsistencies
72. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 4:55PM EST
well maybe I'm God and I just haven't told anybody... Mellow
73. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 5:00PM EST
So which hand did you used to rub one out with when there was nothing?
74. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 5:06PM EST
God is, of course, ambidextrous. Duh.
75. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 5:07PM EST
Don't make me smite your ass... Shame on you
76. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 5:10PM EST
Did you enjoy it the first time?
77. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 5:11PM EST
You sure are smitten by lots of ass
78. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 5:12PM EST
OhMyGod
79. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 5:33PM EST
I thought God was anti-sodomy.
80. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 5:49PM EST
Drafter got an exception. He’s got the brown ticket.
81. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 5:54PM EST
Gotta be a record... we made it to halfway through page 2 before teedub queered things up. ThumpUp
82. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 6:29PM EST
I’ve been busy.
83. Author: JadeRoseDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 6:58PM EST
I believe religion...all religion...sucks and has little to no place in modern society. I also believe in spirituality. I have no idea if there is a God but when I hear the laughter of a child or am sitting in my boat at dawn on a beautiful summer day enjoying the peacefulness of nature my ability to be a full blown atheist is destroyed. Besides....who gives a **** what I believe or do not believe. Those atheists that insist on shoving their atheism up everybody's a$$ are just as bad, if not much worse, than the hard-core Christians. Believe or do not believe what you want....just keep me the f*ck out of it.
84. Author: JadeRoseDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 7:01PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
well maybe I'm God and I just haven't told anybody... Mellow

If you're God, what am I doing with my thumb right now?
85. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 7:16PM EST
JadeRose wrote:
If you're God, what am I doing with my thumb right now?

well, you're not Little Jack Horner.
86. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 7:21PM EST
oohhh.......dayum.........DMV is God!!!!!!
87. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 7:22PM EST
Remember god spelt backwards is anal
88. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 7:25PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
Remember god spelt backwards is anal

wrong.
I snopesed it
89. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 7:26PM EST
Lana does anal?
90. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 7:27PM EST
Screw snopes. The daily caller says it’s true.
91. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 7:31PM EST
victor809 wrote:
Lana does anal?

why didn't you tell me when I was dating her?
92. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 7:57PM EST
Mellow
93. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 8:01PM EST
And on the last day, Drafter held up his ticket and asked...

What can brown do for you?
94. Author: JadeRoseDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 9:26PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
well, you're not Little Jack Horner.

Maybe not but look what a good boy am I!
95. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 9:31PM EST
JadeRose wrote:
Maybe not but look what a good boy am I!

No denying that!

Frying pan Frying pan Frying pan

Remember to wash your hands there. We all know where that thumb has been!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lPYjWntLN8
96. Author: tailgaterDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 9:47PM EST
bgz wrote:
Am I? I don't recall an us vs them argument.

For one, science is the act of formulating and testing theories, so by it's very nature, the act of science is attempting to prove theories wrong, not trying to prove them to be correct. The idea is to test to see if the reality matches predictions, then to retest against other predictions until something doesn't match, then back to the drawing board, rinse and repeat.

As far as an intelligent creator being responsible, there's no way we can prove/disprove it so why waste brain power on it?

I think we're pretty close to the same conclusion.

97. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 9:58PM EST
victor809 wrote:
To claim that if we cannot replicate what we are estimating occurred over billions of years is evidence of an outside party is simply poor logic.

That's like saying if you, as a man, can't give birth, women must not exist.

No, if life resulted from some random lightening strike into some primordial goo, it should be reproducible. Perhaps you have a better explanation for the origin of life?
98. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 10:33PM EST
It's been a while since I looked but I think the lightning strike idea was nixed. Let me reread.
99. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 10:41PM EST
Gene363 wrote:
No, if life resulted from some random lightening strike into some primordial goo, it should be reproducible. Perhaps you have a better explanation for the origin of life?

why would the product of the lightening strike be expected to be able to reproduce the event?
Proving or disproving what? It's own creation?
100. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 10:55PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
why would the product of the lightening strike be expected to be able to reproduce the event?
Proving or disproving what? It's own creation?

Ya see? Ya see why your people wandered the desert for 40 frickin' years?

Gonz
FirstPrev123NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic