Absolutplayer
22 years ago
I have a run of the mill 50 count commercial humidor that has been working great for me until just recently. within the past week or so ive been getting a reading of about 65%, even with 2 humidifiers in there, one of which is new and just distilled water. Theres probably 35-40 cigars in it, any ideas as to why it would be lower all of a sudden? Its been in the same place as always and there hasnt been any drastic change in outdoor or household humidity.
al'Thor
22 years ago
what kind of hygrometer?

Have you changed the cigars inside?

2 humidifiers?? you shouldn't need more than one...
Absolutplayer
22 years ago
Run of the mill anaolg hygro. I never needed 2 but i tried it and it didnt raise humidity at all. Dont know if it would matter if i had 8 in there though. The only change ive made to the cigars is removing a few and putting them ni my new tupperdor
Robby
22 years ago
Are you sure there's been no change in humidity? It's November, a time when the ol' furnace kicks on...
xrundog
22 years ago
Yep! A dry time of year. 65% is okay though. I like 65% better than 70. It's hard to get a passive setup at 65%(yeah, I know about climax beads). Enjoy it man!! Let us know if it keeps going down. By the way, you should keep your humidor at least 2/3 full.
BMW
  • BMW
  • Herf-A-Holic
22 years ago
I'm with xrundog, I like 65% especially for the Cubans.

Barry
arwings
22 years ago
Personally 65% works a lot better for me. I find I have a lot fewer burn/draw/flavor problems at this percentage. How full your humidor makes a huge difference. All the air that can circulate around a less than 75% full humidor can dry out cigars. Also, if you use the 50/50 formula and keep adding it, you are getting really top-heavy with the PG. If heavy enough it can begin to literally remove moisture from your cigars, rather than maintain a stable humidity in the humidor. Just some thoughts..............
Gb
  • Gb
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
You might want to re-calibrate your hygrometer with the salt test.
SP
  • SP
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
65 percent is ideal, just like the guys said above. Don't need to worry.........
redneck1
22 years ago
Don't fight it. Sounds like (as previously stated) the furnace has kicked in and the temperature dropped in your humidor. Like everyone else says, 65% is fine.
Absolutplayer
22 years ago
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice
Users browsing this topic