rozwold
22 years ago
I just bought a 100 size humidor and am waiting it's arrival. I have been browsing the auctions looking and occasionally bidding on something that sounds good to help fill it up. Well, maybe not right full but I want a good selection. Could you please recommend come good cigars that I would be good for somebody just getting started. Not necessarily to smoke right away but a good variety that I can build on and that will get better with age. So far I have bought the Hoja de Nicaragua #6 Maduro. Ok, these might be a bit cheap. I am also bidding on the Indian Tabac Anniversary Limited Reserve Bear, and the 90 plus Sampler. What else that can be found on cbid should find a home in a newbies new humidor. Oh yea, I presume that I won't have room for a box so I am looking at the 5 packs.
alsant
22 years ago
go with the 5-pacs and samplers , your tastes will change over time . this way you can try a variety of gars,i have learned that there realy is no pie in the sky cheap cigar which you may choose for a everyday gar , eventually you find something close . good luck it has only just begun.
AVB
  • AVB
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
Every Gurkha Master's Select 5 pack I've bought has been very good. Even the Sherpa is worthwhile. JMHO.
HockeyDad
22 years ago
Avo: not cheap but good
Bucanero: any and all
Oliva O: natural or maduro
CAO: try them all

In my opinion, these companies don't
make a bad cigar and all these are
readily available here.

I would toss in anything by Fuente as
well although their availability on CBID
is a little more spotty and price upward
accordingly.

5-packs and samplers are the way to go.
5augie5
22 years ago
Hey Roz,

I concur, go with the samplers that offer a variety. It's a great way to experience different tastes, sizes, and manufacturers.

Don't forget to "season" your humidor before putting your sticks in it. For expert advice, do a search on the boards.

Have a great journey!
Cigarick
22 years ago
What those guys said. I've been smoking cigars for two years and I still get a sampler or two with every order.

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/ 
Gb
  • Gb
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
You will need to determine how strong you like your cigars as well. There are some out there that will knock you on your butt with power and others that are a lot more mild... some with more flavor than others. Like everyone before has said, try a bunch of samplers and find your taste... then people will be able to suggest sticks that will compliment your palate.
Sonny_LSU
22 years ago
CAOs.....especially maduros
Hoyo De Monterrey Excaliber 1066
Torano Signatures
Partagas Black

These match-up pretty well with most premiums and you can get them much less than retail here. Do yourself a favor and don't buy crap because it's cheap and can fill your new humi......unless you are a moderate or above everyday smoker, don't waste your time with "everyday smokes". LIFE'S TO SHORT TO SMOKE CHEAP CIGARS!
rozwold
22 years ago
I'm trying to limit my smoking to the weekend and I definately don't want the cheap ones. A variety of quality 5 packs is what I'm after. If I don't like one then I figure the other 4 will keep for sometime and I may enjoy them in the future or offer to a buddy. I'm definately going to be picking up some of the recommendations that I have been getting so far.
Thanks all.
Da-Glyde
22 years ago
arwings
22 years ago
roz...your question is a good one, but we get back into that old situation of taste/strength/body. To me, my humidor would not be complete without at least one 5-pack of La Gloria Cubana. La Aroma de Cuba is another really good one (when you can find it). The CAO Brazilia GOL is a great one for me (but is a "kick-ass" cigar IMO). I also like most any Perdomo 2, and don't overlook the Trilogy line. As you may have surmised, I enjoy a full-bodied cigar. But any of the brands mentioned above will improve with age.

Another point; cigars, under proper humidity and temperature, can be kept smokable indefinitely. However, I feel (my opinion) that any cigar can "peak" in flavor with aging. After that they can begin to deteriorate (although still perfectly smokable) in how satisfying they are. Only experience will tell you how to determine when to smoke a cigar when it's at it's maximum "peak" so that you can obtain the best that particular brand has to offer.

BTW...........welcome aboard. You've found a great site and always take advantage of the combined experience/wisdom on this board. It'll save you from many mistakes/blind alleys...........Just my thoughts.........
jjohnson28
22 years ago
Here's a few I would consider and most are copied and pasted from todays 5pack listings.

Flor de Oliva Grand Cameroon or Grand Maduros,Mayorga Maduros,Cupido Toro Negro,Partagas Black,CAO Golds,Astral Talanga Valley Selection,Avo Domaine #50,El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme,Hoyo de Monterrey Rothschild Oscuro,Indian Tabac Dominican Cameroon Scout,La Gloria Cubana Glorias or Wavell Maduro,La Gloria Cubana Glorias or Wavell,La Perla Habana Torpedo or Toro Maduros,Leon Jimenes Robusto Maduro or Nats,Onyx Reserve Mini Belicoso,Padron #3000 Maduro,Perdomo 2 Exponente Maduro,Perdomo Reserve La Tradicion Cameroon Series 'V',Torano Exodus 1959 Torpedo,El Rey Del Mundo Robusto Oscuro,Estavan Cruz Robusto Maduro,Excalibur 1066 Merlin,CAO Brazilia Samba,Ashton Aged Maduro #60,Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic,Trilogy Native Cameroon Robusto,Trilogy Exotic Maduro Robusto,Oliva 'O' Maduro Series Ole,Oliva 'O' Ole,CAO L'Anniversaire Belicoso eXtreme,CAO L'Anniversaire Corona Cameroon. Enjoy!

JJ
usahog
22 years ago
LMAO @ JJ's Just a Fews!!!!! LOLOL

Hog
jjohnson28
KNOF
22 years ago
JJ he said a 100 count humi, not 1000!
ROFLMAO

Knof
Users browsing this topic