halukn
  • halukn
  • Enthusiast Topic Starter
22 years ago
I wonder where and when the next Big Smoke Weekend will be?
xibbumbero
22 years ago
Look on the CA web site. X
wanyburger
22 years ago
I just attended the one in NYC, and I was very dissapointed to say the least. Much too crowded, cigars were crap, way too smokey..to the point where I couldn't stay in the room for more than 30 min at a clip. Food was mediocre with little place to sit an enjoy your food. Frankly it felt like a big cattle rush. They did have a good band although I have no idea how they survived the smog. Forget the fact it was not worth the $175, it was not worth the time. I'll never attend again.
Uriah Heef
22 years ago
Negative experiences aside, how exactly does the big smoke work?
You pay X amount of dollars and what does that cover? Are the folks nice? has anyone else been to one of these events?

gvlagos
22 years ago
what is the CA website?
jgjam
22 years ago
Attended the Las Vegas Big Smoke last month. Huge crowd but everything went smooth. Didn't have the same problems as Wany but maybe the air filtering and venue were better in Vegas. Collected about two dozen smokes... usually one from each maker. Never got to the food and they also suffered from lack of place to set down and enjoy the food or evening. Reasonably happy with the value I received for my $175 and would probably attend next November in Vegas again.

John
wanyburger
22 years ago
To elaborate on the set up, it is very much like a trade show. Supplier of cigars, cognac, wines, humidors etc. have a booth that you can visit. When you walk into the ballroom you get a duffle bag with a coupon book and the latest version of CA mag. From there every one precedes to attack each booth waiving their coupons hoping to squeeze in a get a cigar. I don’t want to sound snobby but the entire process is very uncivilized. I expected to be able to talk to the vendors. For example Rocky Patel was there, good luck trying to ask him about his new line of Vintage Indian Tabac. Lastly I expected to be able to sit down and enjoy a cigar and drink with friends. Besides the fact I couldn’t see two feet in front of me the ballroom was over packed like a can of sardines resulting in standing room only. Frankly for $175 a head I’d rather go have a decent steak dinner and share cigars with friends.
Users browsing this topic