Hello everyone...Here is my story with some background information.
I am relatively new to cigar smoking (less than a year). However, I quickly became attached to the hobby. I love reading about cigars, learning as much as I can, and also giving cigars to friends to see if they might be interested in the hobby as well. I recently started the official Cigar Club at the University of Illinois. We have speakers, but most importantly it is a place for fellow cigar smokers to get together and have a nice smoke while enjoying each others company.
I am a college student, so cigar smoking is pretty expensive, but I work (only make $5.50/hr, and so I save up and try to smoke a few decent cigars a week). However, at our most recent Cigar Club get together, there were several newcomers there who I did not know.
I had been saving up for several months to get a Dupont X-tend lighter, and I had just received it last week in time for our monthly smoker. It’s always a great environment, and in general a good time. However, at the end of the night, my brand new lighter was gone. The xtend lighter is a very expensive lighter, but I had purchased it because I wanted to have one good lighter for the rest of my cigar smoking days. I couldn’t believe that someone stole it. I suspect it was the newcomers who I mentioned above, but no one knew who they were. They brought their own cigars, and did not care to socialize with anyone else. It just gets me so angry that someone would steal something…especially a fellow cigar smokers lighter. It looks like it’s gonna be another several months of saving before I’ll be able to get another one.
I guess in addition to writing this message as a way to vent my anger I’m looking for someone to feel my pain. When I told my fiancé, her response was, “I told you not to buy such an expensive lighter” 😞
I guess the lesson to be learned is that however much we want to be nice to others, at some point you will get burned for your kindness. I welcomed these newcomers into our smoker, and they burned me.
Well…I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving 🙂
-George