BigTony
  • BigTony
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
OK, I know this topic has probably come up a few times, but I would like some opinions. Have any of you ever attempted or had any luck vacuum sealing a box of cigars for short term storage (as in a month or two)? I understand that for cigars to age properly the temp and humidity are key factors. These things aside if stored at a proper temperature will cigars be harmed by vacuum sealing?
I've got one of those Food Saver things and have been seriously thinking about giving this a try. I'd rather not attempt this and ruin some smokes if someone else has tried it and went bust.
all opinions are appreciated,
Tony
JonR
22 years ago
Yo BigTony: Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Cigar wrappers are very thin and I'm thinking easy to damage, and some say the wrapper is most important to the cigar. JonR
BigTony
  • BigTony
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Hey Jon ---- good point! I was planning on doing a whole box at one time --- cigars, box, and all and just vacuum sealing the entire package. I figure this way no crushing will happen.
Whaddya think?
JonR
22 years ago
Yo Big Tony: Leaving the cello on, it might work but that's just a guess. JonR
JonR
22 years ago
Yo Big Tony: After giving your idea further thought I have to honestly say I'm against storing cigars in a vacuum. JonR
Mr_Vance
22 years ago
I have vacuum packed cigars in glass jars using my foodsaver on several occasions. It does not damage the wrapper in any way. When the jar is sealed the pressure is reduced inside the cigar at the same time as outside, thus preventing any rupture.

The reason I tried vacuum packing in the first place is because I read somewhere that some cigar manufacturers put their cigars in a vacuum chamber to rupture tobacco beetle eggs. I don't know if the foodsaver has enough vacuum to accomplish this, but I get a morbid pleasure in hoping the little b@stards explode in their own juices. (Heh heh heh)

Also, would they have enough oxygen to breath if they did hatch? I don't know.

How does vacuum packing effect long term aging? I don't know that either, but I have had cigars vacuum stored for as long as six months with no ill effect. I suspect the aging process is slowed to some degree, due to the lack of oxygen exchange.

In overview, I think this may be an area that needs some experimentation to determine long term effects. There may be some positive results in doing this.

Keep smokin' (]]]]]]]]]~~~
Slimboli
22 years ago
Haven't you seen what it does to those marshmellows in the commercial?

... bad idea. The cgars can't breathe and age properly.
FriarTux
22 years ago
Here's another thought. When vaccuum is applied you not only remove air, you also remove water vapor and humidity will drop. Doesn't sound good to me. Also, you are limiting the available air for exchange as the cigars mature. Seems to me that you could have a serious buildup of ammonia and ruin the whole lot. This would be especially true if the cigars are "young". You'll be much better of in the longrun with a Iglodore. This time of year you can get a cooler dirt cheep. If space is an issue, get the small six-pack size. In a few months you can take your cigars out, put in your favorite brews, and head to your favorite Trout Stream!
BigTony
  • BigTony
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Thanks for the info guys. I may just give this a shot w/ a box of cheapies, but then again...... The cooler idea is great (I actually have 3 medium size coolers and a few humidors sitting around the house). Part of me thinks vacuum sealing is a good idea but then again I think that if it was, cigars would come packaged this way already. I wonder if anyone at CBID will chime in with some info if they've ever tried this?
dacassady
22 years ago
The good Friar is on the right track.
As the Sticks age, the give off fumes. Vac-sealing will not allow your sticks to breathe.

As you go into your coolers and humis you allow for a fresh air exchange, even that momentary check of the gauge. That gives them oxygen to work with.
If you Vaccuum them, you will not leave enough oxygen for them to age, and what little is there will be replaced by the minor aging that can occur.

Personnally, I would suggest against it.
Slimboli
22 years ago
I guess no one rembers those nasty 'Black Stallions' that CB has here awhile back ...

... those are the ones you use to see at the 'Quickie Mart' next to the registers that are individually sealed in their own pouch ...

Those were the driest (and worst) cigar I ever smoked ... and the vacuum seal didn't seem to do them any good (and I believe the company that made them is no longer in buisness).
docrks
22 years ago
I am indebted to the originator of this thread - as it caused me to look for a box of smokes that I tried the vacuum seal on when Santa delivered it last Christmas. I forgot all about this box till this thread. Well - after 11 months in captivity - I opened the box just a few minutes ago and was greeted with the following observations:
1. Round Churchiils going in have become Box Pressed Oddly Shaped sticks -- not quite square - no longer round -- odd!!!
2. No wrappers were broken - no splits observed - this box was lost and was under the closed in Bar sink area - so it was dark - but certainly not 70% Rel Humidity controlled.
3. The cigars had not dried out at all - they have given off some of their oils as the color of the white inner liner has taken on that golden brown look you get when you find an aged box of smokes that have had the cello left on... This was a wooden box and I did not observe any discoloration to the inner box at all.
4. I will be lighting this up this evening after dinner and then the true test will come -- between now and then -- this lost box has been relegated to the coolerdor with a fiver taken out and put in a zip lock and stored (not vacuum sealed) back under the bar...the stick I'm smoking tonight will br from this "non-coolerdor" Fiver.
penzt8
22 years ago
I just received a four pack of Cuesta Reys that were vacuum packed in a can. The can looked like the kind that tennis balls are packed in. I opened the pull-top can to put them in the humi and they seemed OK to me. They were packaged by the manufacturer. No telling how long they were in the can. If the Fuente/Newman folks are willing to vacuum pack their cigars it must not be too bad.
Mr_Vance
22 years ago
So how about a vacuum exploding beetle eggs. Does anybody know if this is really done, and if so, would a foodsaver have enough "oomph" to do the job?

(]]]]]]]]]]~~~
Slimboli
22 years ago
penzt8 --- I've got that same can of the Cuesta-Rey Milano (4-pack) ...

They use a patented process to seal in the freshness in what they call a cedar-lined 'humi-canister', but they are not what you would call 'vacuum packed'.

Basically, ater they are aged, they are just sealed in the can to preserve the humidity and freshness.
arwings
22 years ago
I'm all for any process that will destroy tobacco beetle eggs (hate the little bast*rds as they destroyed my whole stash of cigars while I was on vacation several years ago). However, if wasting them requires sacrifice of my cigars, it's kind of a moot point. Don't really know about this vacuum sealing business (never tried it) but it just doesn't "sound right" to me. Seems to me cigars, being organic, were meant to "breathe" and surely sealing them would retard that process. Whether it would be detrimental in the long run, I don't know. I wouldn't want to try it with my premium sticks. Just my thoughts...........
arwings
22 years ago
I'm all for any process that will destroy tobacco beetle eggs (hate the little bast*rds as they destroyed my whole stash of cigars while I was on vacation several years ago). However, if wasting them requires sacrifice of my cigars, it's kind of a moot point. Don't really know about this vacuum sealing business (never tried it) but it just doesn't "sound right" to me. Seems to me cigars, being organic, were meant to "breathe" and surely sealing them would retard that process. Whether it would be detrimental in the long run, I don't know. I wouldn't want to try it with my premium sticks. Just my thoughts...........
arwings
22 years ago
Sorry about the double post. Computer screwed up; or I've had one too many brandies with my Joya de Nicaragua Antano Consul. Don't know which one..........
BigTony
  • BigTony
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
22 years ago
Hey guys thanks for all the info.
-----Docrks: Please post how the cigar was after a year in the vacuum. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one who wanted to try this. I am really concerned about the amonia build up some of you guys have mentioned--- I'd really hate to kill a box of smokes but I'm beginning to think that if it works for good ole doc then I'm gonna give it a go. Now eenie meenie minie mo into the vacuum you shall go..... Hmmmmmm.... I think a mixed box of some mooch quality smokes may get the Maiden Voyage thru the Food Saver.
thanks again,
Tony
cccbus
22 years ago
Hey Big...sounds like a great Idea. I am sure that we all can send you some bad frogs and Lone Wolfs. Heck it might even make em better 🙂
Users browsing this topic