dz130
  • dz130
  • Aficionado Topic Starter
22 years ago
Just got my bundle of these today. Tried one. It seems a little too mild. Anybody have any experience with these? Do they need some humi time?

Doug
Steve*R
22 years ago
You could probably put these in the humidor for years and they wouldn't get more powerful. The blend is a mild one. Cigars such as the Sherpa Mystic are, for all intents, novelties. They're not designed to be in a regular cigar smoker's normal rotation. They have a unique look and always attract attention, but are typically blended for the occasional cigar smoker. I enjoyed the one I had. It looked great...the draw was dead on...and it was mild. Sometimes I really like mild.
smelly4tay
22 years ago
I completely agree with Steve R... I got a bundle and have smoked a few. Great draw, burn, and construction for a 1.50-2.00 Mild. Like Steve said I think they are sorta novelty. IMO, A great smoke to hand out to someone looking for a little more flavor than Mac's and Helix.
How many Dos Capas cigars are there? I apologize if this is threadjacking or wandering off the subject, but other than Fittipaldi, Sherpa, and A. Fuente Between the Lines, are there others? I have the Fittipaldi but haven't smoked it yet, and I give the Sherpa an "eventually try" rating. Just my .02
Dave
dz130
  • dz130
  • Aficionado Topic Starter
22 years ago
I guess I really din't know what to expect. I had a BTL the other night and it was awsome! Smooth and creamy with lots of flavor. The Mantequila Tapa Negra also has a fair amount of flavor. I like these because the head is wrapped with maduro leaf that tastes almost sweet. These are great to literally chew on.
Steve*R
22 years ago
Actually, I believe the brands listed above are the only ones currently available and, to the best of my knowledge, the Fittipaldi is out of production. There are, of course, the Mantequilla Dos Capas and Las Escepcion IV Dos Capas with maduro cap and foot, but no stripe. Periodically, a manufacturer will release a "barber pole" usually around Christmas. I've seen them occasionally at local shops for many years. The most unique are those with alternating oscuro and candela, but they taste awful.
Ridgerunner65
22 years ago
"those with alternating oscuro and candela...taste awful"
Never tried one of those -- seems a good thing
I'm not a big candela fan, but will smoke one
I usually like an oscuro
Thought of combining them seems demented
Steve*R
22 years ago
Thirty years ago there were still an ample number of cigar shops around the country where you could buy fresh rolled cigars; really fresh rolled, created as you watched. Often the bulk of their holiday business, for gift giving, was creating unique looking cigars. I'm quite certain that more than one torcedor created cigars for a client that he hoped would never be smoked.

I was in a shop in San Francisco. The roller, surprisingly, was a German immigrant. (I expected Cuban) As I was shmoozing in the shop, a fellow came in and asked for five of the strongest cigars this fellow was capable of making. The proprietor explained that he could use some unconventional filler, typically used for some pipe tobacco, like latakia, and create a monster, but it would hardly be smokeable. The customer said he had a client that was always complaining about weak cigars and "gone were the days when a guy could get a real a$$ kicker." The cigar man made up 6 Presidents...I guessed 8.5 x 48, as we watched. The customer said he'd only wanted five, so I was curious about #6. After the fellow left with his cigars, I asked the proprietor about #6. Unceremoniously, he cut it into two rothchilds, stuck one in his mouth and handed me the other.

I will never forget that cigar. I made the mistake of attempting to inhale a bit to get the full flavor. I felt like a college boy who has attempted to take a nip of Everclear 190 proof grain alcohol. I, literally, had to sit down. It was, without question, the strongest cigar I have ever attempted or will attempt to smoke.
xibbumbero
22 years ago
That's both a good and funny story. X
La10870
22 years ago
I bought a 5 pack of Hugo Cassar here on cigarbid a few years ago. Like most of the Cassar cigars I've tried, I didn't care for it, but it looked almost identical to the AF BTL. I found one in the humi a few weeks ago and it still was very non descript, even after that long nap.
Steve*R
22 years ago
Yes, Hugo Cassar made a beautiful "barber pole" and, as you relate, they were devoid of taste.

But..they were certainly beautifully rolled.
Users browsing this topic