bartindr
22 years ago
Good day to you all,

My grandfather just passed away and I recived his 4 personal humidors.I have won several cigars from CBid and am now starting to enjoy smoking.I would like to know if theres a book or books about cigars.Any help would be great,any advice would be wonderful.

thank you all Kent
Cigarick
22 years ago
Stick to the cigar forum on Cbid and the Usenet's alt.smokers.cigars. Every question you could possibly have will be answered in one of those two places.
xrundog
22 years ago
Seems like the cigar guides are out of date before they hit the street! Most bookstores will have one or two. How're those humidors? Are you charging them? Do they have hygrometers? What types of humidifiers? Beware the cigars that are rarely bid on! There is a reason for that.
KNOF
22 years ago
Welcome aboard!!!
You will be pleasantly happy just staying here and keep your ears open. BTW, I'd love to see what your grandfather had stashed away. I bet some of his sticks have been aging for some time by now, and who knows what treasures you have!!! You lucky dog!

Knof
KNOF
22 years ago
O, and I am sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Knof
tailgater
22 years ago
Kent,
I am sure your grandfather would be happy to know that you are appreciative of his gift, and will likely think of him whenever you light up.

As for advice: Don't listen to ANYBODY. Bid on all the 5 packs that fit your budget. Your tastes will change quickly in the first year or two of smoking.

Be patient. Good cigars age well.
Read up on proper maintenance of the humidor and all will be well.

Oh, and send SteveS some smokes as your initiation...
arwings
22 years ago
There's some good basic beginning information in a little book called, "The Idiot's Guide to Cigars," (I think that's the title, although not very complimentary). As stated before some of the info regarding prices and popularity of cigars is outdated but it has a lot of basic discussion that never changes. TIP: If you decide to get it note the copyright year as some of the major chain stores tend to put on sale outdated versions. Check with information/customer service to be sure you are getting the latest version.

I enjoy it for the basics and come to this board to get the updated stuff. Just my thoughts.......
bartindr
22 years ago
thanks to you all for responding.
the humidors are as follows one large 13x10x6 dark wood with what looks like white bone inlay pattern.
one small 11x5x9 blond hard wood real heavy for its size.
two thompson's one black 6x5x9 opens long way with a burl top and the other is a cherry one that's 10x4.5x9
as for the sticks as of now just recived a few from CBid

La Vieja Habana
Ras Tafari
CAO vanilla Petite corona
Gurkha Master Select Toro
Gurkha Regent toro
Profesor Sila Toro
Sherpa(orange) Toro
5 Vegas Torpedo
Zelo de Cuba robusto
Helix X542
1876 Reserve Churchill
and many more to come

and allready in the humidors when I got them
Ramon Allones Habana
Juan Lopez
Cohiba
Davidoff
Quai D'Orsay
Romeo Y Julieta Habana

Am looking for more Humidors
Thanks guys
P.S. some one let SteveS know my Email is [email protected]

rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
Welcome and sorry about your Grandfather. You will learn more by hanging around these guys than you will ever learn from a book. I would agree that he would be glad you are using the humidors. Those Habans sound very interesting. Particularly the Allones. Some of those are what cigars are all about. You can taste those in your gut. Again Welcome !
al'Thor
22 years ago
a little advice on storing those gars - I would keep the flavored cigars away from the rest - like not even in the same humidor - especially those habanas
Users browsing this topic