Double D
22 years ago
Was talking to a cigar shop owner locally this past weekend. He indicated that a "rule of thumb" is to stock your humidor to only 50-60% of capacity..this apparently allows the cigars to absorb the humidified air more efficiently, thereby resulting in
better storage.

I've filled mine to capacity, and the stock seems to be a bit dry, although RH is 65-68%.

What is your opinion of his 50-60% "rule of thumb"?
puskarich
22 years ago
I usually fill mine 3/4 full, though they have been bustin at the seams once or twice. I like to leave room to easily shift things around.

A full humidor is a sign you need to smoke more. 😉
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
I have read several places that they work better when full. That would make since to me as you would waste less moisture on empty air. Also I have my wife convinced that it will ruin all my cigars if they are not kept full. Please don't post otherwise. She gets on here every once in a while.
jgjam
22 years ago
I have heard the same theory on keeping them full. The theory is that a properly stabilized humidor full humidity-stabilized cigars is easier to maintain proper humidity... sounds kind of like a zen thing but it makes sense.

John
turnberry
22 years ago
rdk and I have used to same line of logic with the same person. Well, different person I think but same person category.

So ours is obviously the correct strategy!
osage
22 years ago
Sounds logical to me.
CulleyJC52
22 years ago
I agree, full is good. Gives you reason to buy another humidor, I have three.

On a serious note, I have a large 500 cigar humidor I keep 100% full. Lets the cigars get the nice age. My second humidor holds 100 and they are transfer from the larger one to age some more. The third holds 50 and is what I smoke from. It is the only humidor that is partially full. When I get a new shipment, I add to and rotate the cigars in the large one as well as transferring to the other two dor's.
dorloff
22 years ago
I wonder if you keep the cigars in the celaphane wrappers in your humidor? Thanks.

rmarrandino
22 years ago
LOL @ rdk and Turnberry.

I might have to steal that line from you guys.
TubeDoc
22 years ago
Double D,
The more cigars you have, the more little tiny credo's you have, so they keep one another "company." Therefore, the more the better. Just leave a little room for air movement and to shut the lid. You wouldn't want to tear a wrapper. And never stop buying just because you don't have room. That is just an excuse!
Seriously, I have heard that the more the better. Just don't put them in a sealed container (mold n stuff)
Doc
coma-one
22 years ago
Double D!!

Cigars are hygroscopic, which means simply that they absorb water. I have tried just about all that can be tried. I own 3 humis and 1 coolidor ( not much, by LOWMAN's standards!!! LOL). I keep all of them at 85%-90% filled, it seems to keep my RH constant. I have not add any water to my coolidor in over 8 months, (I also keep my stogies on the dry side), all of my humis keep a constant RH of 64-68 RH. Cigars serve as humidifiers, the more cigars you have in the humi, the better. However I have found that a little room in the humi is better, lets it breathe better

my .02
gorob23
22 years ago
I just keep reading turnberrys line over and over again..lmao
Double D
22 years ago
Thanks to all for such valuable feedback.

I think I'll stick to my current "full up" strategy, perhaps reducing down to 90% capacity, once my new foot locker humi arrives
next week.

Once again, this forum is the best place to get great information from knowledgeable cigar aficionados!!

Thanks again!!

DD


Users browsing this topic