Slimboli
22 years ago
I'm not sre what your point is, as there are cigars out there that have a Cameroon wrapper that has been aged to Maduro ...

Bobalu Dominican Cameroon/Maduro
CAO has a Belicoso Cameroon/Maduro

... just to name a couple ...
statelandman
22 years ago
Thank you. Never seen a maudro with a cameroon wrapper before.
chuckler
22 years ago
Silm, correct me if I am wrong here...

But to clarify, Cameroon is the type of leaf (i.e. coming from Cameroon,africa), and Maduro is the result of the aging/curing process.

PT 😉
statelandman
22 years ago
Chuckler- I do believe you are correct.
dbguru
22 years ago
Another ... IT Cameroon Legend Maduro
Slimboli
22 years ago
chuckler --- I believe he meant, "Never seen a maduro 'IN' a cameroon wrapper before."
0patience
22 years ago
Don't know about the cameroon being a maduro, but I do know that those cigars are mighty good. In my opinion.
Steve*R
22 years ago
After cigar tobacco is cured, it's generally hung in storage barns for a couple of months. Then the leaf is stacked in piles to ferment. During this time the temperature of the pile rises internally, and the color of the leaf darkens. The temperature is checked constantly, and the process is typically halted before 160 degrees for Natural coloration, sometimes much lower if the leaf is thin. In most cases the tobacco is allowed to cool, then turned for a second fermentation. After that, tobacco for premium cigars may be aged for a few months, or up to several years.
To get maduro, the fermentation temperature is held above 165 degrees. I think it's safe to say that most non-dyed maduro wrappers began as thicker leaf to withstand the higher fermentation temperatures. It's conceivable that most leaf could be cured to maduro, but it would be like roasting 100% kona coffee or Jamaica Blue Mountain to Italian espresso roast; you'd lose the subtle flavor of the leaf.
Users browsing this topic