AJ_CHICAGO
22 years ago
Can someone review a CAO Black Gothic or Frontier for me, please (or any other Black for that matter)? Thanks...AJ
smelly4tay
22 years ago
O.K, here I go with my first attempt at a review. I bought a box of CAO Black Mosaic (43x6) about 3 months ago and smoked about 6 of them. Then, I was gifted a Gothic and immidiately smoked it.
At first removal from cedar wrapping, the wrapper, roll, and construction are absolutely a thing of beauty. Very small, insignificant veins and a PERFECT smell.
At first light, a quick sweet aroma with the Mosaic. The Gothic, started with some kick! They both burn Very evenly, like almost all CAO's do. Something about the all-around medium profile (taste, spicyness) of this cigar, makes it one of my fave's.
5 minutes into the Black, the spice comes out but balances the overall quality of the cigar. I am not a seasoned enough sm0ker to say I tasted a nutty,peppery,coffee, chocolate, or anything like that, cause I taste tobacco and judge from there. I did taste the cedar, woodsy hint most of the time.
The Gothic is a good 1-2 hour beauty, where as the Mosaic can be nubbed in 40 min.
IMHO, the different sizes, like many brands, offer a different taste all-together. I would say the Mosaic is mild-medium, and the Gothic a strong, great-tasting medium. The Gothic had comparable spice to the Criollo line, IMO.

Great Cigar. Worth getting a 5-pack and/or putting it on a list to try. Just my .02, and first review
Dave
KNOF
22 years ago
Very nicely done smelly4tay!!!

The CAO Blacks are one of my favorites too, and they are worth every penny spent no matter what size you purchase.

Knof
xibbumbero
22 years ago
Nice review Smellything. X :~)
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
Nice review. I love the c.a.o. blacks. I have some of the bengals. They are pretty full bodied. Tons of flavor.
cooksta2
22 years ago
man, now you've got me wanting to try a gothic. Good review
tonester666
22 years ago
The Gothics are fantastic.
AJ_CHICAGO
22 years ago
Thanks, Smelly. Good job! That's what I was looking for. Thanks, all, for the "chip-ins".
AJ_CHICAGO
22 years ago
Got a couple on the way. I'll add my two cents when I smoke one. One will rest, but one will have to be sacrificed!
smelly4tay
22 years ago
Wow! I might quit my day job. Thanks for the kind words on my review. Enjoy the heck out of em' AJ.
dustinderwind
22 years ago
Hey smelly that cao black in my humi was just scribbled onto my "next to die" list hehe.
smelly4tay
22 years ago
OOOOHHHHH, the one I gave you, dustinderwind? The scribbling on the outside actually says "dogsquirt". I have changed my mind. Nobody buy these....they taste like Cherry flavored Cheetos about 1/3 of the way through with a hint of Menthhol ciggarettes. There mine.....All mine. Bwooaahahahahahahahahah!
AVB
  • AVB
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
I'm on my 2nd box of Frontiers and have to agree with Smelly, they are a very nice smoke and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
tonester666
22 years ago
AJ, I would not consider these to be mild.
chuckler
22 years ago
I agree with tonester, not mild..., but very smooth to give the impression of a milder smoke.

.02...

PT 😉
rudy1946
22 years ago
I bought a 5 pack on C-bid . Then went right back a got a box. I am going to age the box for a few years. I am very impressed with the Gothic.


Rudy
sketcha
22 years ago
Had only one Gothic. Aging the other 4.

So far...

Too mild for me.

Not much smoke.
AJ_CHICAGO
22 years ago
Finished off one of the Frontiers (Churchill size). At first I wasn't much impressed. Was OK, with a little nose burn...not bad. Then about an inch in the flavor started coming out and the smoke became smooth. 1/3 in I was trying to tell between a smooth, cedar, semi-sweet taste and something chocolaty. The rest was just full of flavor, silky smooth with me mumbling to myself, "Damn! This is a good cigar!" Very distinctive cigar. Much too mild for all the big time herfers. I wouldn't even bother lightin' one up if you've got it. Just forward them on to me.
Users browsing this topic